X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hogdriver
    replied
    Originally posted by chrisvalla
    A good example another state going through such a radical change is Russia. They've never had any semblence of democracy, yet have a somewhat weak democratic state at the moment.

It's not going to happen soon, it's going to take years, even a generation before things CAN change. The question is, can the weak democracy survive long enough for it's roots to take hold without be taken over my the 'old guard' and corrupting it (or outright dismantling it)?. I don't know, Russia is still a works in progress and the Iraqi challenge hasn't really even begun in earnest.
    This is true - there has never been an Islamic democracy, and this is by design. Read the Koran and you will see that Islamic was conceived as an autocratic regime, very hierarchical, and not subject to debate about its policies, structure, doctrine or any other facet of government, society or otherwise. Democracy in its true and full form may be a hard sell to the Iraqi or any other Muslim society. But it will be their choice. The day the ask, or order, us to leave, we mave depart with the knowledge that we did all we could, and now it is for them to sink-or-swim.

Leave a comment:

• chrisvalla
    replied
    A good example another state going through such a radical change is Russia. They've never had any semblence of democracy, yet have a somewhat weak democratic state at the moment.

It's not going to happen soon, it's going to take years, even a generation before things CAN change. The question is, can the weak democracy survive long enough for it's roots to take hold without be taken over my the 'old guard' and corrupting it (or outright dismantling it)?. I don't know, Russia is still a works in progress and the Iraqi challenge hasn't really even begun in earnest.

Leave a comment:

• Barber
    started a topic A new tradition in Iraq

A new tradition in Iraq

Wondering here about transplanting democracy into Iraq.

Given the past thirteen centuries or so of Islamic traditions, will it take root? Can we force a people of an entirely different civilization to embrace western ideals of equality and freedom?

More than that are we not at least on some periphery level encouraging the rebellions?
    Would Americans stand idly by given an occupation of our coyuntry by a foreign power or would we strike back at our enemies with every means possible? Washington fought a guerilla war against the British until Americans were backed by the French, isn't this a similar situation to Iraq? ( I am also here reminded of the Japanese mindset prior to the dropping of the A-bombs.)

If it is and we are at least on this abstract level inconsistenct with our own image, not our ideals, then what steps need to be taken to redefine America in the eyes of Iraqis? (And the world?)

Remember that we have been "the great Satan America" to many many of these people for decades. Can we eliminate this view directly through bloodshed or must we indoctrinate their children into a new ideology which undercuts all the extremists stand for? Are we planning to win the war in Iraq against the current generations or are we planning to win the generations yet unborn and uncorrupted?

Everytime I visit this site the members here inspire me to think far more critically on these issues than in day to day life. Thanks!

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X