Japan in Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan in Iraq

Is Japan gearing up to join the global destruction of terrorism, or simply on a training mission? Read here.
    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

I dont know whats going on with them.

It mite be a publicity stunt ....who knows...only time will tell.

Im curious about what they will do when their troops get bombed by a terrorist.

How will they handle it?I hope very fast and strong with zero mercy!!

Comment

Well, the Japanese people decided they should send troops there, so there they are.... what is the big deal?
      Attn to ALL my opponents:

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Comment

I think the japanese are there just to represent. They probably are there for political reasons and show the world they are helping. In reality, i doubt they would be there if the war had continued and not stopped.

Comment

Japan is nation that has a hard time dealing with "war" today, because of their own history and constitution. They, like the Germans, are still constrained in their foreign policy by the results of WW2 and their long standing policies and laws.

I'm amazed that they showed up in a hostile enviornment in which there was international disagreement as to being there at all. They are a concensus government and when there is no concensus, they don't usually act or they act very carefully.

I lived in Japan when their military began learning about deployments, namely their first modern foray into Cambodia with the UN. Their military was in many ways clueless as to how to pick up and move vast distances, the operate in a semi-hostile environment. Where did they turn to for assistance? The US military....

That is the tie to their decision to go to Iraq... US Government asked and they have a hard time saying "no" to us when they think it is something that really matters to us... It's the basis of a best selling book in Japan several years ago... The Japan that can say No. Many Japanese feel that their government can't say no to the US.

IMO, Japan is rarely given credit for what it does. It generally supports US initiatives, even when there is vocal disagreement. They donate money, equipment, expertise, and on occassion valuable information.

They are a long time Ally of the US, that while not militarily engaged, is economically and politically in synch with our foreign policy most of the time. As in all things, they do have their own perspective...

Of course, they are also going to get a lesson in the "real world" if their troops come under fire... it will be good for them to learn their "rules of engagement"... Unfortunately, I'm not sure that their current ones will do them credit in an environment like Iraq.

Comment

Japan in Iraq

I believe that Japan may have noble intentions in Iraq, but it may well end badly. As has been much reported, this is Japan's first combat deployment since World War 2. In fact, the Japanese Constitution prohibits the use of the Self-Defense Force for offensive reasons. Sixty years of defensive training, defensive doctrine and defensive operations have left Japan poorly equipped for the possible situations they may face in Iraq. On the day when the Japanese suffer their first major loss (say, 8-10 or more dead), I expect that the public will roundly condemn the depolyment and demand the return of the troops. The government, and especially the Prime Minister and Minister of Defense, will be faced with two unattractive options: either continue the deployment, with whatever consequences that may hold, or swiftly withdraw their forces, which will be a diplomatic debacle. Even excepting US and British losses, their have been many attacks that have resulted in substantial losses.

The Best choice for the Japanese at this juncture is to find some diplomatic manner of discreetly withdrawing without being made to appear either cowardly and/or incompetent.
            Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
            (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Re: Japan in Iraq

Originally posted by hogdriver
              Sixty years of defensive training, defensive doctrine and defensive operations have left Japan poorly equipped for the possible situations they may face in Iraq. On the day when the Japanese suffer their first major loss (say, 8-10 or more dead), I expect that the public will roundly condemn the depllyment and demand the return of the troops. The government, and especially the Prime Minister and Minister of Defense, will be faced with two unattractive options: either continue the deployment, with whatever consequences that may hold, or swiftly withdraw their forces, which will be a diplomatic debacle. Even excepting US and British losses, their have been manyattacks that have resulted in substantial losses.

The Best choice for the Japanese at this juncture is to find some diplomatic manner of discreetly withdrawing without being made to appear either cowardly and/or incompetent.
              Japan only recently ammended their constitution to allow for foreign military deployments in strictly non-combat roles; there has however been grumblings about allowing combat troops to deploy to foreign lands.
              Japan is very nervous over the North Korean situation.
              Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Aaaah....so this is no more than a practice session for the japanese troops?Just in case North Korea gets squirley they will have a few thousand "veteran" troops that know a tad about desert manuevers and city police work?

I would think after looking at the issue a bit it seems nothing more than a ploy to gain US brownie points.

Maybe Japan feels threatened and they are already gearing up to "pop the question" to UN forces just in case?

Comment

Well Japan is sending 1,00 of their troops to Iraq... It seems though that their equipment is not as modern as countries like us and uk. In some pictures it looked just like a Beetle with a .50 strapped on top... I guess they could patrol some streets maybe?

Comment

The sons of Nippon are on the march.

They may not look like much, in their crisp uniforms. But they are warriors none the less. As part of the coalition of the willing, they are an asset that can not be overlooked or under appreciated.

Each nation that contributes boots on the ground should be praised for its resolve to fight terrorism and rebuild Iraq along side the USA.

Japan lost 20 citizens in the WTC attack. If you don't think they are serious, then you have not looked deep enough into your own mind and soul for an answer to the cancer of terrorism.
                    The need to rebuild Iraq does not lie with America alone, but with nations like Japan that are sending help in the form of human beings after long debate, death of more japanese citizens and critical choices about the future.

I salute the Japanese as an ally in this ongoing struggle.
                    :thumb:
                    Only Tearful, Animal Man Through the Nature of his Being is Destined to
                    a Life of Warfare...

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Beefjerky
                      Well Japan is sending 1,00 of their troops to Iraq... It seems though that their equipment is not as modern as countries like us and uk. In some pictures it looked just like a Beetle with a .50 strapped on top... I guess they could patrol some streets maybe?
                      hmm... how come you have such an impression?

In fact, the Japanese defense force is probably the second strongest (or potentially so) force in the world. Their equipments are very advanced and their training is less than nobody.
                      Attn to ALL my opponents:

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Comment

Im rather interested to see more on the ROK units deployed there, Imagine the reaction if anyone tried a suicide bomber on them?
                        Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

I'm a little closer to the action than most of you, I think. The Japanese Liaison officer sits next to me. The Japanese have excellent equipment here. They are not new to Iraq, having worked here for years to help develop the nation and take care of the people. That's why they're here now. Will their army get some training? Sure, all of us are here getting training. I think their reasons for being here are above board and legit, and I'm glad to have them here with us.
                          Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                          Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                          http://www.mormon.org
                          http://www.sca.org
                          http://www.scv.org/
                          http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

As far as I understand Japan has excellent reputation in Iraq. I've seen plenty of Iraqis praise Japan as a model for Iraq - modernisation while maintaining basic cultural traits. I think the fact that Japan has provided troops on the ground does help the cause of the coalition by adding some goodwill to it. In the BBC gallup, Japan was mentioned by Iraqis as one of the foreign nations, Iraqis want to play a signficant role in rebuilding Iraq.

Comment

Janos please give warm regards and best wishes to your comrade from Nippon. This deployment is fraught with peril for them in a military, emotional, and national sense. Thirty (? ) years ago I used to spend considerable time around Peace Park in Hiroshima before heading for the Ginza and the bars.

This is a whole new thought process for the Japanese. They are a people slow to change. Finally actually deploying troops off the island is indeed a milestone. I sincerely hope we have some SF liason troops with them. They are venturing out for the first time and WILL get shot at. That will be the first time in more than half a century I believe. What was done purposely to the Japanese psyche at the end of WWII is not easily overcome. They have the potential now to be even more of a active ally. But the outcome of this deployment is crucial for them as a country. A serious loss for them could cause the emotional negative reaction predicted by several here.

I have no doubt that evey one of those troops from Japan were handpicked. They have to know they will be under a microscope, as many here can testify that is not a pleasant thing.

They will serve with unquestionable honor as repsentatives for Japan in the 21st Century.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X