Australian mission in Iraq pretty much over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian mission in Iraq pretty much over

The Labor Party (commies) has won elections and they will withdraw all troops immediately.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Great photo there of kevin rudd, must be after his victory speech...

....as for troop withdrawls, well this has been on the cards for a while, as labor have been hitting the current govt hard on developing a exit strategy for our troops, but it wont entail a full withdrawl, as we will still need guards for our embassy, plus a naval presence. The real fight for us lies in Afghanistan, where we sadly lost another hero the other day...

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
      The Labor Party (commies) has won elections and they will withdraw all troops immediately.

Democracy sucks I guess......
      “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
      “To talk of many things:
      Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
      Of cabbages—and kings—
      And why the sea is boiling hot—
      And whether pigs have wings.”
      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

oh its not that bad, the ( new ) govt here is just running with a mantra from the public to give people here some idea of when our men and women in uniform will be returning home. As with all election promises , we will see what transpires in the cold light of day.

Comment

Just as long as they gag Gillard - her voice makes me want to pull a van Gogh...
          Now listening too;
          - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Rapkinov View Post
            Just as long as they gag Gillard - her voice makes me want to pull a van Gogh...
            So, who is worse Gillard or the USA Cong. Pelosi?
            "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

What does the Australian military think about serving in Iraq?
              Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
              If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                What does the Australian military think about serving in Iraq?
                The 10 or so Australian staff officers I worked with in Basrah were quiet keen to serve in Iraq. They told me that there was very strong competition to get the deployment slots.....
                “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                “To talk of many things:
                Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                Of cabbages—and kings—
                And why the sea is boiling hot—
                And whether pigs have wings.”
                ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post

You mean the commies won't be fighting the Islamacists anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Rapkinov View Post
                    too true

Comment

Originally posted by galland View Post
                      ....as for troop withdrawls, well this has been on the cards for a while...

The entire "coalition of the willing" has left except for the last couple allies and they are almost gone and getting out as fast as possible.

What do they all know that we can't figure out?

Comment

Originally posted by Phebe View Post
                        The entire "coalition of the willing" has left except for the last couple allies and they are almost gone and getting out as fast as possible.

What do they all know that we can't figure out?
                        Easy to answer...

We've learnt the lessons of our own history, as either leaders of or members of empires.

As the USA has never had an Empire, they are only now commiting the same political mistakes we made many decades (if not centuries) ago.

Send in a gunboat has evolved into send in the Blackhawks.

We've tried and continue to try to warn you as brothers... but you never listen.

How many young American lives will it cost till the lesson's learnt?

Possibly the most important question...

Just what will the USA's legacy be to history in the 21st Century?

As to this 'mythical' lesson, its this...

The more you as a people and a nation try to write the history of others, the more they end up writing yours...

(Note that the 'YOU' in the lesson is GENERIC and not specific to the USA... just incase the usual paranoia kicks in)

regards

Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
                          We've tried and continue to try to warn you as brothers... but you never listen.
                          Interesting. I knew a Brit on a forum for years who had a lot to say about the dangers of our going into Afghanistan, "grave of empires."

And I didn't care at all for the French slanders, boycotted their wine till Sarkozy showed up (the current Beaujolais is quite nice), but I was checked for a moment early on when Chirac said stiffly that it was up to friends to warn a friend when he was heading into danger.

That actually made sense and was the kindest thing they managed to say.

The French were right about Iraq, but that doesn't make them any more likeable, of course. Less likeable for being right, if anything.

Diplomacy-wise, Britain came up trumps. There is a great deal to be said for experience; and inspired leadership. We were wrong, but you stuck with us even so; that will pay off in the long run.

Comment

Easy to answer...

We've learnt the lessons of our own history, as either leaders of or members of empires.

As the USA has never had an Empire, they are only now commiting the same political mistakes we made many decades (if not centuries) ago.

How many young American lives will it cost till the lesson's learnt?

Possibly the most important question...

Just what will the USA's legacy be to history in the 21st Century?

As to this 'mythical' lesson, its this...

The more you as a people and a nation try to write the history of others, the more they end up writing yours...

(Note that the 'YOU' in the lesson is GENERIC and not specific to the USA... just incase the usual paranoia kicks in)

regards

Gaz
                            Or it might be British internal politics.

Oddly enough, the political winds of war weariness which caused our British cousins to oust Churchill after WW2 rather than confront the Soviet Union for a time was couched with those same post modern sorts of good intentions. As it turned out, the British electorate was wrong then about the intentions of the communists and Churchill was right. Why did a Labour (Sure is hard for an American to remember that "u") PM, Tony Blair, see a real threat of Islamofacism to the UK when most of his party did not? The sentitment is hardly absolute.
                            "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                            George Mason
                            Co-author of the Second Amendment
                            during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

Easy to answer...
                              Great post! If I may distinguish here, the gunboat was a standoff weapon. This is where we went wrong. Ground war eventually leads to ground meat -very expensive, ground meat. You use the biggest stick from your arsenal (then the dreadnought, now the Tomahawk) and you allow time for the desired response(walking softly). It doesn't have to be unconditional surrender. Whatever concession we're looking for. I don't know what's so hard to understand here. It's not rocket science.
                              Last edited by macgregr; 26 Nov 07, 12:40.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X