Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US reports ‘phenomenal’ drop in Iraq violence

Shhhh... don't let the word get out...

Violence in Iraq has fallen at a rate that has surprised military commanders and even one of the architects of the “surge” that boosted US troop numbers in the country this year, according to figures gathered by the US.

The figures show the numbers of suicide attacks, roadside bombings, mortar and other attacks on US forces and on the Iraqi population have more than halved since 30,000 extra troops in June.

The military attributes the decline to the surge, the spread of local ceasefire deals across Iraq, a ceasefire by radical Shia militias and an improvement in the Iraqi security forces.

Jack Keane, the former army general who helped persuade George W. Bush, US president, to increase troop numbers in Iraq, said the decrease in violence was “phenomenal” and had occurred far faster than he had expected.
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ca653412-9...0779fd2ac.html
    Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

I don't know why, but I get this feeling that 'Andrew Bolt', whoever he is, is going to get mentioned again.

Comment

Don't worry, NPR says it's just a lull...
      If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Oh, we all know it's just another vast right wing conspiracy...

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

If the New York Times declares a new phases of hostilities and asks for more bombings there will be more bombings.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
          --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

I could search through the threads for posts that claimed that the Surge would not work, that defeat was at hand, that the US will never win etc etc. But that won't be nice, would it?

Comment

Originally posted by sickpup View Post

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post

Originally posted by Admiral View Post

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
              If the New York Times declares a new phases of hostilities and asks for more bombings there will be more bombings.
              Yes we wouldn't want NPR to report this:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=16555907
              “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
              “To talk of many things:
              Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
              Of cabbages—and kings—
              And why the sea is boiling hot—
              And whether pigs have wings.”
              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Amongst all the wit,irony,gloating and self congratulation, please remember that people are still being killed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7109669.stm

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Combatengineer View Post
                  Yes we wouldn't want NPR to report this:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=16555907
                  Listened to it yesterday while prepping our duck. They implied it was temporary, but what else would you expect from NPR...
                  If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Listened to it yesterday while prepping our duck. They implied it was temporary, but what else would you expect from NPR...
                    And we know that is not temporary because of past our past experience in Iraq?

In remarks to the Washington Post last week, Petraeus' second-in-command, Lieutenant General Raymond Odierno, stressed that the current reduction in violence offered a window of opportunity for the government to reach out to the Sunnis, but that it was "unclear how long that window is going to be open".

Odierno, who has also urged the central government to step up delivery of long neglected essential services to Sunni communities to help build confidence, added that if the regime failed to follow through by next summer, when US forces return to pre-"surge" strength, "we're going to have to review our strategy".
                    http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/IK22Ak07.html

As the MNC-I commander states, the current drop in violence is a window. It can close as quickly as it opened, witness the mosque bombing in Feb 2006 and the results Sunni-Shia violence......
                    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                    “To talk of many things:
                    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                    Of cabbages—and kings—
                    And why the sea is boiling hot—
                    And whether pigs have wings.”
                    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

It could be something as simple as a shortage of suicide bombers. After all, you can't raise a suicide bomber over night. The US should now watch for anyone making suspicious orders for more suicide bombers.
                      Life is change. Built models for decades.
                      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I am glad the attacks are on the decrease. It surely stinks it took a surge in the first place to achieve that though...does that mean in the future when the surge ends and troops start to decrease violence will then rise? hope not.

Comment

Amazing! And we only have to pay the Iraqis an average of 400+ dollars a week as well as deploy 160,000 men. Hell, they're making more than most Americans, simply for not shooting at us (though the polls show most still want to). Pat yourselves on the back.

Comment

Originally posted by sickpup View Post

LOL This is such a huge secret that the "liberal media" doesn't want you to know about it. (I just can't figure out why they've been regularly reporting on it for weeks now)...

Really? Did "they" When? Source?

Originally posted by Admiral View Post

What is? That the liberal media wants us to "lose" in Iraq?

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
                            Really? I thought they were reporting on this as well? Oh, I forgot, you're another "conspiracist" no better than the "inside job" 9/11 Truth movement. My bad.

Comment

Actually, the questions should be:

How can the reduction in violence be made permanent if our Iraqi (Shiite gov't) "allies" refuse to make deals with the Sunnis in order to have a national reconciliation (the final phase of a successful counterinsurgency campaign)?

Then, what would be the point of the "Surge" if violence creeps back up because we support a bunch of militia thugs who are bent on dominating Iraq through what our Founding Fathers warned against as the "tyranny of the majority?"

BTW, the US troops cannot maintain this presence forever...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X