Gulf War I M-60 Tanks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf War I M-60 Tanks?

Did the U.S. Army deploy any Regular, Reserve or Guard armor units to the Gulf during the first war equipped with M-60A3's?
    Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
    If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

To my knowledge and reference material the only US M60s were used by the Corps.
    Welcome to the adult world. Kinda sucks when you have to be the responsible ones and take all the pot shots from the chagrined lefties and mongoloid celebrities, who don't know their collective posteriors from sound economic policy. - 98ZJUSMC

Comment

Originally posted by Arkane View Post
      To my knowledge and reference material the only US M60s were used by the Corps.
      This is fact - my Bro-in-Law was a Marine Tanker in GWI.

I believe that, by mid 90's, there were very few M60's in the Army inventory anywhere at all, and M1's were basically fielded throughout.

Comment

Yes I knew about the Corps, I was just curious about the Army. Does anybody know the last Army unit to use M-60A3's? And when they were phased out?

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
          Yes I knew about the Corps, I was just curious about the Army. Does anybody know the last Army unit to use M-60A3's? And when they were phased out?
          All "active" US Army units had M1's by the start of GW1. The US Marines turned in their M60s just before the ground war started.

No Guard or Reserve Combat Arms Battalions were deployed to the GW1. The units at NTC and North Fort Hood (2x Armor Brigades) could not get their acts together to be deployed overseas.

M60A3s were finally removed from the Guard and Reserves early 1998.
          Kevin Kenneally
          Masters from a school of "hard knocks"
          Member of a Ph.D. Society (Post hole. Digger)

Comment

AS far as I know, the last unit to use M60s Active Army was the 1-4 Infantry OPFOR @ CMTC (late as 2005) when it was replaced with the OSTS-MBT.
            Welcome to the adult world. Kinda sucks when you have to be the responsible ones and take all the pot shots from the chagrined lefties and mongoloid celebrities, who don't know their collective posteriors from sound economic policy. - 98ZJUSMC

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
              Did the U.S. Army deploy any Regular, Reserve or Guard armor units to the Gulf during the first war equipped with M-60A3's?
              At alert time the 197th still had M60's they changed out on the fly, leaving m60 at in Georgia recieving M1 in the gulf:

The 197th Infantry Brigade had some even older M60A3s from the previous generation of tanks. The Army reassessed its modernization plans while concentrating on getting a credible deterrent force into the Saudi Arabian desert.
              http://www.army.mil/CMH/books/www/www4.htm
              “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
              “To talk of many things:
              Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
              Of cabbages—and kings—
              And why the sea is boiling hot—
              And whether pigs have wings.”
              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Kenneally View Post
                ...The US Marines turned in their M60s just before the ground war started...
                I beg to differ - My Brother-in-Law deployed with the 1st tank out of 29 Palms with M60A1's.

This is from 1st Tank's history at the 29 Palms site:

When Iraq invaded Kuwait in August 1990, 1st Tank Battalion deployed to Saudi Arabia as part of I Marine Expeditionary Force. On 7 September, the battalion was fully equipped with M60A1 tanks from Maritime Preposition Squadron 3 and was deployed from Al Jubail, Saudi Arabia as the armored backbone of the multinational force which established the Desert Shield. On 13 September, Company D arrived in Saudi Arabia by amphibious ships from Okinawa where it had been on unit deployment. During the next five months the battalion provided armor units to all of the task forces established by I Marine Expeditionary Force. Besides the continuing mission of maintaining the defense of Saudi Arabia, intensive training for the pending offensive to liberate Kuwait was conducted. On 24 February 1991, 1st Tank Battalion spearheaded the assault of Task Force Papa Bear into Kuwait. Company A was supporting Task Force Ripper. By 27 February, 1st Tank Battalion had reached the Kuwait International Airport and all Iraqi forces were destroyed. The cease-fire was established on 28 February and by April 1991, the battalion returned home to Las Flores, Camp Pendleton.

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've seen footage of USMC M-60A1/3s (with reactive armor) taking part in the ground war...

Comment

The Corps did indeed have M-60's in Gulf I. I was just wondering if any Army M-60's made the trip over.

Comment

I think a Brigade of the 2d AD was attached to the Marines so they would have some M1's,but the Marines were equipped with M60A3's with the reactive armor
                      If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

Comment

That was my recollection as well.
                        "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                        George Mason
                        Co-author of the Second Amendment
                        during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

Tiger Brigade

Originally posted by CPangracs View Post
                          I beg to differ - My Brother-in-Law deployed with the 1st tank out of 29 Palms with M60A1's.

This is from 1st Tank's history at the 29 Palms site:
                          I think CPangracs is right. From the grapevine was heard that the TIGER Brgde would spearhead the drive to Kuwait, as the Marine Corps went to war in thier M-60's. I was not there to see it, but that was the word.

Comment

Tiger Brgde was attached to "Ripper"? thats wat i heard and still think today. Is this true or not? I know the 327 was the most forward deployed unit during the 100 hrs.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickdfresh View Post
                              Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've seen footage of USMC M-60A1/3s (with reactive armor) taking part in the ground war...
                              The largest tank battle for the airport in Kuwait were mainly M-60A3's used by the Marines.
                              "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."- Edmund Burke

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X