Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

could this "surge" in suicides mean something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could this "surge" in suicides mean something?

what in your opinion causes this, if the info is correct?

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...005961,00.html
    "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Notice how they talk about 'war veterans' and not specifically mentioning the younger troops of today? Unfortunately, IF these statistics are true, and I hope they are not, I think a vast majority of the deaths come from WWII veterans. Old age and depression all too frequently go hand in hand and with a painful death of disease facing you several decide to go out painlessly by their own hand.

3 years ago my WWII veteran father became terminally ill with bone cancer. I got the honor of being his primary care provider for the last few weeks of his life. Though I did everything medically correct and I saw no need for it the physicians and hospice people I was working with let me know that if an overdose was called for nothing would have been said by anyone.
    "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by piero1971 View Post
      what in your opinion causes this, if the info is correct?

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...005961,00.html
      Now we must remember that this is CBS, so we must be skeptical in the least with this organizations sources. However, the historical data does show an increase of suicide (rate of suicide vs general pulci) for combat veterans the years immediately after the conflict is over. However, what is rather interesting is that AFTER those few years the rate of suicide among combat veterans is actually far below that of the general population. Where did I get this information? If I remember correctly it was in the book "Dirty Little Secrets of the Vietnam War" by Nofi. I could be wrong, but I think this was the book. Additionally, in the same book studie were conducted and it showed that combat veterans were actually more "sucessful" in life than the general population. Very interesting read.

Now I do not want to dismiss the mental problems that combat veterans face after going to war. I do believe that it is the solemn responsiblity of the nation and government to recognize their problems and help them get through the trauma, so they can get over it and move on.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X