X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father pins Distinguished Flying Cross on son

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123073839

Father pins Distinguished Flying Cross on son
    3. Criteria: The Distinguished Flying Cross is awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity with the Armed Forces of the United States, distinguishes himself by heroism or extraordinary achievement while participating in aerial flight. The performance of the act of heroism must be evidenced by voluntary action above and beyond the call of duty. The extraordinary achievement must have resulted in an accomplishment so exceptional and outstanding as to clearly set the individual apart from his comrades or from other persons in similar circumstances. Awards will be made only to recognize single acts of heroism or extraordinary achievement and will not be made in recognition of sustained operational activities against an armed enemy.
    Is the award to high or is it justified and in line with the Criteria listed above?
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

hmm i think it is justified john he did his job to save allied lives ..
    owner of the yahoo group for WW1 ,WW2 and Modern TO&Es
    (Tables of organisation & equipment or Unit of action )

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs/

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
      http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123073839

Is the award to high or is it justified and in line with the Criteria listed above?
      I am not trying to denigrate the professionalism with which this pilot served, his actions it seems saved the lives of several men and he should be recognised and rewarded for that. But given the nature of the award it does seem a bit too high. Then again his actions could be credited with turning the course of the firefight and allowing the position to be taken with fewer losses.

I had a look through some of the citations for the DFC at the DIstinguished Flying Cross Society and it does seem that the kind of actions that pilots and aircrew were being recgnised for with this award required a different standard and level of danger/risk in the past. Also some of the Second World War awards seem to be in the case of some of the bomber crews for repeated actions in flying over Occupied Europe.

Again I think Capt. Collings should be recognised and rewarded for what he did, however I am not sure if the DFC is appropriate. Maybe other forum members who have been in the Air Force will know if this kind of action is generally awarded with the DFC.
      "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
      G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
      Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Ah, come on. Since when should pilots get a DFC for dropping bombs? This guy did nothing that several hundred jet jockeys did not do in Vietnam and they would have fallen off their bar stools laughing if someone had given them a DFC for that. Gee, you think maybe his old man being a general didn't have something to do with it? An Air Force Commendation Medal I could buy, but a DFC?
        "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Inappropriate. Standard mission fare for those who fly and those who die.

Awards are determined based on uniqueness of performance and valor and or participation beyond the norm....with all due respect to the good Captain it doesnt merit a DFC.

best
          CV

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
            Ah, come on. Since when should pilots get a DFC for dropping bombs? This guy did nothing that several hundred jet jockeys did not do in Vietnam and they would have fallen off their bar stools laughing if someone had given them a DFC for that. Gee, you think maybe his old man being a general didn't have something to do with it? An Air Force Commendation Medal I could buy, but a DFC?
            I agree with TB here. As far as I am concerned he did not earn the medal he was given. However, I saw this happen all the time in Vietnam where officers put in for medals for their fellow officers, but not the crewman who were on the same bird at the same time and went through the same stuff. They look after each other. His father being a general was all I needed to know to form my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
              I am not trying to denigrate the professionalism with which this pilot served, his actions it seems saved the lives of several men and he should be recognised and rewarded for that. But given the nature of the award it does seem a bit too high. Then again his actions could be credited with turning the course of the firefight and allowing the position to be taken with fewer losses.

I had a look through some of the citations for the DFC at the DIstinguished Flying Cross Society and it does seem that the kind of actions that pilots and aircrew were being recgnised for with this award required a different standard and level of danger/risk in the past. Also some of the Second World War awards seem to be in the case of some of the bomber crews for repeated actions in flying over Occupied Europe.

Again I think Capt. Collings should be recognised and rewarded for what he did, however I am not sure if the DFC is appropriate. Maybe other forum members who have been in the Air Force will know if this kind of action is generally awarded with the DFC.

IF PVT Tommy Akins threw a grenade and eliminated a large part of the enemy forces would he have gotten a very high award? Or would he even get more than "good go Tommy" both just doing their job?
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X