Civilian employees in Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian employees in Iraq

Are there any posters on the forum who have been to Iraq as contracted civilian employees? Not as Merc's, but as skilled tradesmen: ie. mechanics, forklift operators, etc.?

Or any posters who were/are military who have come into contact with the afore mentioned workers?

What is the working relationship or atmosphere like there between the civilians and military personnel?

How about Jose?

My buddy Jose at work went to Iraq as a civilian. What do you want me to ask him? He tried to recruit me to go as well, but I am too old, fat and semi-crippled to do the work over there. I just told him that HE could pass as a local, but I would stand out like a person in white sheets at a meeting of the NAACP...

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
      My buddy Jose at work went to Iraq as a civilian. What do you want me to ask him? He tried to recruit me to go as well, but I am too old, fat and semi-crippled to do the work over there. I just told him that HE could pass as a local, but I would stand out like a person in white sheets at a meeting of the NAACP...

Pruitt
      Thanks for responding Pruitt. If you would ask, I would appreciate it.
      I have been offered a contract to go as a wheeled vehicle mechanic and am in the process of trying to figure out if I want to go. It will be at some depot base, I don't know exactly where till I get "in country".

I am not neccesarily worried about the danger/security aspect; as I will be surrounded by thousands of young men with raging testosterone levels, and automatic weapons (said tounge in cheek as an ex-Marine )

The company will, I am sure give me the "official" line , but what I am looking for is the real scoop . Cell phone use/availability, lap top use, internet, working relationships with military, etc.

Will I still be able to keep in contact via electronic means with my family? You guys on the forums?

What is the: Medical? Food? Supply situation? Access to base facilities, etc... like for civilians ?

I know it is a lot to ask, and I appreciate any help given by you, and any other friends on the forum.!!!!

Comment

I did get to talk to Jose a minute tonight. He said a big problem he had was the lack of transport and spare parts to fix vehicles. He also mentioned that you should carefully examine the penalty clause of the contract you sign. You could end up owing the IRS for money you did not earn (penalty) if you go home early.

He worked with Iraqis and US military personnel to build buildings. If you need a day off, no problem if you ask maybe a week ahead. You do work day after day until the project is over, though.

They did not have any vehicles to use for transport so they went to a local US military "burn pit" and salvaged a number of six wheel "Gators". They got them up and running and what happens? Someone comes along and starts telling them how they had to use them! Them bureaucrats come out of the woodwork!

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Just got back in July. My friends who were contractors in country seemed to have no issues with email or phone connectivity. You likely will also have PX, gym, MWR rights, depending on your contract. If you will be in the Baghdad area, esp near the airport or Green Zone, you will live pretty sweet for a war zone.

All the contractors i met seemed pretty professional. No friction.

Comment

Thanks A lot Guys

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Makes it an easier decision. Also makes the wife a whole lot less worried ..

Think I will take the offer, hope to see any posters in country when I get there.

Comment

I've talked to a few truck drivers that went over and one is thinking about going back so it can't be too bad.
              If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Well guys, I went ahead and decided to take the plunge!!! I will be leaving for processing on the 30th and should be "in country" by the 9th of Dec. Have to have a few of these before I go.. Cause they say I cant when I get there ..

Comment

Originally posted by deterrumeversor View Post
                  Have to have a few of these before I go.. Cause they say I cant when I get there ..
                  That's what they say but I knew a few contractors in Kuwait that had alcohol.
                  If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X