French Gulf War I Casualties?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Gulf War I Casualties?

During the First Gulf War France suffered 2 KIA and a unknown but most likely small number of wounded.

So I wasd mainly wondering how they lost the KIAs?

It's Wiki so take it for what it's worth:

Casualties

Nine French soldiers were killed during the operation, including two before the beginning of the conflict and five afterwards: a soldier was killed in a car accident in Saudi Arabia in November 1990, and a pilot one month later in the crash landing of his Mirage F1, at the time of a reconnaissance mission in Saudi Arabia. During the conflict, two soldiers of the CRAP of 1st RPIMa (Sergeant Schmitt and Senior Corporal Eric Cordier) were killed while clearing unexploded U.S. submunitions near Al-Salman on February 26, 1991. 33 others were wounded, including 22 slightly. After the conflict, eight soldiers of the 1st IR were wounded (including three seriously) on March 12, 1991, while going along the Texas road, close to Have-Salman. Two others of the 6th Foreign Engineer Regiment were killed in March and April near Kuwait City, and three died in May, including two in car accidents.
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combatengineer View Post
      It's Wiki so take it for what it's worth:

Casualties

Nine French soldiers were killed during the operation, including two before the beginning of the conflict and five afterwards: a soldier was killed in a car accident in Saudi Arabia in November 1990, and a pilot one month later in the crash landing of his Mirage F1, at the time of a reconnaissance mission in Saudi Arabia. During the conflict, two soldiers of the CRAP of 1st RPIMa (Sergeant Schmitt and Senior Corporal Eric Cordier) were killed while clearing unexploded U.S. submunitions near Al-Salman on February 26, 1991. 33 others were wounded, including 22 slightly. After the conflict, eight soldiers of the 1st IR were wounded (including three seriously) on March 12, 1991, while going along the Texas road, close to Have-Salman. Two others of the 6th Foreign Engineer Regiment were killed in March and April near Kuwait City, and three died in May, including two in car accidents.

I didn't realize that was on Wikipedia, I tried looking for info about this but didn't find it on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin23 View Post
        I didn't realize that was on Wikipedia, I tried looking for info about this but didn't find it on there.
        It's all in how you google........
        “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
        “To talk of many things:
        Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
        Of cabbages—and kings—
        And why the sea is boiling hot—
        And whether pigs have wings.”
        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combatengineer View Post
          It's all in how you google........
          That and I'm lazy and absent minded sometimes.

Comment

I think allot got KIA during the Khafji attack and counter attack.
            Winnie says
            ---------------------------------
            "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
            Herr Flick.

Comment

Originally posted by Listy View Post
              I think allot got KIA during the Khafji attack and counter attack.
              The French were never in Khafji were they ??
              Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Originally posted by tigersqn View Post
                I thought they were well away, with XVIII Airborne on the flank...it was the Marines and the Saudis at Khafji.
                Colonel Summers' widely quoted critique of US strategy in the Vietnam War is having a modest vogue...it is poor history, poor strategy, and poor Clausewitz to boot - Robet Komer, Survival, 27:2, p. 94.

Comment

Yeah the French were never anywhere near Khafji to echo thejester's point.

Comment

There were no French at Kafji. They were on VII Corps' left flank. US Marines and Saudis did the job at Kafji.
                    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

**chuckle**

Must have been getting confused. I think I saw the Saudi or Qatar tanks on the news and mentally flagged them as French.
                      Winnie says
                      ---------------------------------
                      "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
                      Herr Flick.

Comment

they were no-where near khafji. they were on the extreme left flank with Troopers from the 82nd. they were in thier AMX tanks, they captured airfield L-7 in southwestern Iraq, and were swinging east towards the Euphrates. they were Legionnaire units mostly. thier better than the regular French Forces.

Comment

no, wat you saw were French built AMX tanks. Saudi, Quattari, and Marines ejected the Iraqi's from khafji.

Comment

they were Legionnaire units mostly.
                            Most units were regular. 'Division' Daguet was build around 6th DLB with elements of 4 others division, about 10.000 mens in total. 4300 mens from US 82 AB operating under French operationnal command were also attached. The 40 AMX 30 engaged were those of 4éme Régiment de Dragons, a regular unit.

http://perso.orange.fr/amicale.dague..._et_unites.htm

thier better than the regular French Forces.
                            Yes...and no. Légion training regulations are the same that 'regular'. They are better in same way that any elite unit in any army.

Comment

Originally posted by Metryll View Post
                              Most units were regular. 'Division' Daguet was build around 6th DLB with elements of 4 others division, about 10.000 mens in total. 4300 mens from US 82 AB operating under French operationnal command were also attached. The 40 AMX 30 engaged were those of 4éme Régiment de Dragons, a regular unit.

http://perso.orange.fr/amicale.dague..._et_unites.htm

Yes...and no. Légion training regulations are the same that 'regular'. They are better in same way that any elite unit in any army.
                              I stand corrected. thanx for the real info.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X