Books on the Iraq War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books on the Iraq War

Anyone have any recommendations on books about the War in Iraq? I don't want anything political, just stories about the men.

My Men Are My Heroes by Nathaniel R. Helms looks pretty good.

My Men Are My Heroes is outstanding. Sergeant Major Kasal is a super-hero as far as I am concerned.
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

I recommend 'Thunder run' by david zucchino,'Heavy metal by capt. Conroy,'The highway war' by maj. Seth Folsom.

Comment

Cobra II: The Inside Story of the Invasion and Occupation of Iraq by Michael R. Gordon (Author), Bernard E. Trainor is a good overview book about the planning and opening phases of the war. Helps understand how the plan was created, executed, and its immediate aftermath. Also gives insights into why the war was won, but the peace has been messy.

I also enjoyed Marines in the Garden of Eden: The Battle for An Nasiriyah by Richard S. Lowry for a very detailed account of small unit action.

Thieves of Baghdad by Matthew Bogdanos and William Patrick is a good one about the looting of the Iraqi museum and the period of chaos just after the capture of Baghdad.
        Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Thank you for the recommendations gentlemen.

Hey Doc, I remeber catching 1SGT Kasal's story on the History Channel series Shootout a little while back. Quite a guy.

The President of the United States
          Takes Pleasure in Presenting
          The Navy Cross
          To

Bradley A. Kasal
          First Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

For Services as Set Forth in the Following

Citation:
          For extraordinary heroism while serving as First Sergeant, Weapons Company, 3d Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 1, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, U.S. Marine Corps Forces Central Command in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM on 13 November 2004. First Sergeant Kasal was assisting 1st Section, Combined Anti-Armor Platoon as they provided a traveling over watch for 3d Platoon when he heard a large volume of fire erupt to his immediate front, shortly followed by Marines rapidly exiting a structure. When First Sergeant Kasal learned that Marines were pinned down inside the house by an unknown number of enemy personnel, he joined a squad making entry to clear the structure and rescue the Marines inside. He made entry into the first room, immediately encountering and eliminating an enemy insurgent, as he spotted a wounded Marine in the next room. While moving towards the wounded Marine, First Sergeant Kasal and another Marine came under heavy rifle fire from an elevated enemy firing position and were both severely wounded in the legs, immobilizing them. When insurgents threw grenades in an attempt to eliminate the wounded Marines, he rolled on top of his fellow Marine and absorbed the shrapnel with his own body. When First Sergeant Kasal was offered medical attention and extraction, he refused until the other Marines were given medical attention. Although severely wounded himself, he shouted encouragement to his fellow Marines as they continued to clear the structure. By his bold leadership, wise judgment, and complete dedication to duty, First Sergeant Kasal reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

Comment

One Bullet Away: The Making of a Marine Officer
            by Nathaniel C. Fick

http://www.amazon.com/One-Bullet-Awa.../dp/0618556133

Well it's the only one I've read but it's a good one!
            http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

It cant get more honest really...
              "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X