Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, Death and Violence in Iraq is Down...WAY Down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, Death and Violence in Iraq is Down...WAY Down!

BAGHDAD - The U.S. military said Tuesday that a Marine was killed in fighting west of the capital, pushing the American death toll for July to at least 75, the lowest in eight months. President Bush's nominee to head the Joint Chiefs of Staff, meanwhile, acknowledged that slow progress in Iraq is hurting America's credibility and emboldening Iran's regional ambitions.

While steady progress has been made on the military front, Iraq's political factions have made only limited headway in achieving reconciliation, said Navy Adm. Michael Mullen, who has been nominated to replace U.S. Gen. Peter Pace as the nation's top military officer.
    Sorry to disappoint the L/L/D crowd, but all levels of violence and death in Iraq are down to the lowest levels in a long time. It seems the surge is paying dividends.

Why no outpouring of emotion from the left? When things are going bad, you sure seem ready and willing to let everyone know how bad things are going.

It's amazing that many can't even accept "slow, steady progress". You want it all, right now, or you want no part of it.

President Bush said it best after 9-11...it will not be easy, it will be a tough fight, and we must not let our resolve waiver...
    Last edited by CPangracs; 31 Jul 07, 08:45.

Well, sounds good, but I'd like to see a link to the original source and an article in full.
    And it's over the mountain and over the Main,
    Through Gibralter, to France and Spain.
    Pit a feather tae your bonnet, and a kilt aboon your knee,
    Enlist my bonnie laddie and come awa with me.

Comment

and the Iraq Parliment is on summer vacation. That friend C isn't much progress. We keep sending kids over to fight for their sh-- a-- country and they go fishing. The President needs to give them a dead line. Get with the program or start your own or we are out of here.

HP
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
        and the Iraq Parliment is on summer vacation.
        Actually, that is not strictly true. The parliament is in recess. And what that means is just the same as saying that American Congress is in recess or the British is in recess - the elected representatives of the people will be given time to return to their constituencies to tend to the grassroots aspects of their work.

Now, I'm sure many will agree with me that important as it is for legislators to stay in congress or parliament to make laws, it's just as important for them to go back to the people who elected them to listen to their needs and what they have to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
          Actually, that is not strictly true. The parliament is in recess. And what that means is just the same as saying that American Congress is in recess or the British is in recess - the elected representatives of the people will be given time to return to their constituencies to tend to the grassroots aspects of their work.

Now, I'm sure many will agree with me that important as it is for legislators to stay in congress or parliament to make laws, it's just as important for them to go back to the people who elected them to listen to their needs and what they have to say.
          RECESS for the SUMMER. You've been reading a lot of the NYT lately, I guess you missed that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tankboy View Post
            Well, sounds good, but I'd like to see a link to the original source and an article in full.
            for the internet-lazy: US Toll in Iraq Lowest in 8 Months

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
              RECESS for the SUMMER. You've been reading a lot of the NYT lately, I guess you missed that.
              May I suggest you do a bit of research? Most of these people have returned to their home provinces to deal with local issues and be with the people they are representing.

How many times do you think our own Congress has done the same thing over the last 5 years.

You make it sound like they are at Disneyworld or on a cruise through the Straits of Hormuz or something.

Comment

http://www.kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=17606

Iraqi parliament goes on vacationPosted on: Tuesday, July 31, 2007
                Today's News:

By Qassim
                Abdul-Zahra

The Associated Press

BAGHDAD – Iraq's parliament on Monday shrugged off U.S. criticism and adjourned for a month, as key lawmakers declared there was no point waiting any longer for the prime minister to deliver Washington-demanded benchmark legislation for their vote.

The President thinks different.

How many times do you think our own Congress has done the same thing over the last 5 years
                Our Congress isn't forming a new government at the expense of American and Allied lives.

Do you think they are going to show up after the recess? We'll see, they have been doing great so far on dragging their feet.

May I suggest you do a bit of research? Most of these people have returned to their home provinces to deal with local issues and be with the people they are representing.
                Iraq's parliament on Monday shrugged off U.S. criticism and adjourned for a month
                Do you expect me to believe that at 9:46 CST Tues 31 July that you know were they went. Having just announced it yesterday. I'm from Missouri C "Show Me". No I'm not going to Google it myself. I'm challenging you to provide a link.

HP
                Last edited by Half Pint John; 31 Jul 07, 12:35.

Comment

From the new Chairman of the JCS confirmation hearings. These are written responses to questions submitted by the committee:

WASHINGTON - President Bush's choice to head the military Joint Chiefs of Staff said Tuesday an increase of troops in Iraq is giving commanders the forces needed to improve security there.

"Security is better, not great, but better," said Navy Adm. Michael Mullen, speaking before the Senate Armed Services committee at his nomination hearing.

However, Mullen acknowledged under questioning that, "there does not appear to be much political progress" in Iraq.

"I believe security is critical to providing the government of Iraq the breathing space it needs to work toward political national reconciliation and economic growth, which are themselves critical to a stable Iraq," Mullen said. "Barring that, no amount of troops and no amount of time will make much of a difference."

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070731/ap_on_go_co/us_iraq
                  “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                  “To talk of many things:
                  Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                  Of cabbages—and kings—
                  And why the sea is boiling hot—
                  And whether pigs have wings.”
                  ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by CPangracs View Post
                    Sorry to disappoint the L/L/D crowd, but all levels of violence and death in Iraq are down to the lowest levels in a long time. It seems the surge is paying dividends.

Why no outpouring of emotion from the left? When things are going bad, you sure seem ready and willing to let everyone know how bad things are going.

It's amazing that many can't even accept "slow, steady progress". You want it all, right now, or you want no part of it.

President Bush said it best after 9-11...it will not be easy, it will be a tough fight, and we must not let our resolve waiver...
                    Let us compare the now 78 military deaths (as of 7/30/07, the month is not over yet) to the deaths that occurred in the month of July in prior years. That's a much better comparison because combat causalities in the desert are always lower in the hotter months.

Jul-2006 = 51

Jul-2005 = 55

Jul-2004 = 61

Jul-2003 = 47

Source:
                    http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...casualties.htm

Over the previous 4 years military deaths averaged around 53.5 in the month of July. The 78 deaths this July represent a 45% increase over the average of the last four years. Yeah I feel much better now thanks.
                    Last edited by Deathrider6; 31 Jul 07, 14:23.
                    "I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend."

Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by Deathrider6 View Post
                      Let us compare the now 78 military deaths (as of 7/30/07, the month is not over yet) to the deaths that occurred in the month of July in prior years. That's a much better comparison because combat causalities in the desert are always lower in the hotter months.

Jul-2006 = 51

Jul-2005 = 55

Jul-2004 = 61

Jul-2003 = 47

Source:
                      http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...casualties.htm

Over the previous 4 years military deaths averaged around 53.5 in the month of July. The 78 deaths this July represent a 45% increase over the average of the last four years. Yeah I feel much better now thanks.
                      Maybe they were meaning lower than last month. Just trying to be helpful.
                      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by revans View Post
                        Actually, lower than the last 8 months.

Either way, nobody who wants the US to fail would ever want the good news of less deaths, fewer casualties, etc., to get out and infect the masses...
                        Last edited by CPangracs; 31 Jul 07, 15:01.

Comment

Originally posted by revans View Post
                          Well if there is lower deaths then its a good thing right??? What about Iraqi deaths?? Or are we just measuring the success by US deaths?
                          "The Eastern front is like a house of cards. If the front is broken through at one point all the rest will collapse."- General Heinz Guderian

"Oakland Raiders: Committed to Excellence"

Comment

You guys should stop focusing on bodycount, since Vietnam it is not a relevant measure of success (or failure) anymore. Casualty figures can be too easily misinterpreted, especially by the general public.

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
                              You guys should stop focusing on bodycount, since Vietnam it is not a relevant measure of success (or failure) anymore. Casualty figures can be too easily misinterpreted, especially by the general public.
                              I agree with you. The body count is meaningless in determining success. The higher number of deaths are the result of a higher tempo of operations. I actually think that the surge put us in a much better position in Iraq. Too it didn't happen in 2003 and too bad that it's not sustainable. A day late and a dollar short.

My post was just an exercise to show that CPANGRACS assertion was meaningless.
                              "I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend."

Jack Handy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X