Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraqis ready to defy bombs to back football team

Good to hear...

Iraqis, brought together in a rare moment of unity by their soccer team's success in the Asian Cup, said defiantly on Thursday that bombs would not deter them from supporting their country in Sunday's final.

Thousands of them poured onto the streets after Iraq beat South Korea on Wednesday to reach the Asian Cup final for the first time, but suicide bombings that killed 50 people in Baghdad cast a pall over their jubilation.

The bombings were a sharp reminder of Iraq's unrelenting cycle of sectarian violence between majority Shi'ites and minority Sunni Arabs.

But many fans, though war-weary, said they would not be cowed and would turn out to support their team in the same fashion when Iraq meet Saudi Arabia on Sunday.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/070726/2/u7ua.html
    Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

I thought you meant football. My bad!
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by revans View Post
      I thought you meant football. My bad!
      I don't understand why Americans call their game football. Most of the time it involves holding the ball, catching/throwing the ball and running. It's not a foot-centered game. While in "soccer", most of the time the ball is played with the foot, hence football. I'd rather call it "American rugby" not American football.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Imperial View Post
        I don't understand why Americans call their game football. Most of the time it involves holding the ball, catching/throwing the ball and running. It's not a foot-centered game. While in "soccer", most of the time the ball is played with the foot, hence football. I'd rather call it "American rugby" not American football.

cheers
        I was being a smartypants. You called me on it and thumbs up for that. We now return to the topic at hand.
        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

I hope they beat the Saudis. It would be a big boost for national morale.

Comment

Far be it for me to contradict the rest of the world, but we already had named the great game we play "football". The field goal kicked between the goal posts at a gentler time was worth more than running it across. I hear the Land Down Under heard about our game as well, but did not get all the rules right...

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X