Four US soldiers killed in Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four US soldiers killed in Iraq

from auntie beeb. I also read a story 2 -3 weeks ago about the US military purchasing the MRAP vehicles from an Australian firm to replace the HUMMVs for patrolling in Iraq. Events like this will speed up the purchase.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6905962.stm

Four US soldiers killed in Iraq
    Last Updated: Thursday, 19 July 2007, 08:24 GMT 09:24 UK

Four US soldiers and their Iraqi interpreter have been killed by a roadside bomb in eastern Baghdad, the US military has said.

The soldiers were on a patrol as part of operations to disrupt the flow of insurgents and weapons into Baghdad.

Nearly 30,000 extra US troops have been sent to Iraq in recent months in an effort to improve security.

US commanders say casualties are mounting as more soldiers patrol outside their heavily-defended bases.

The US military said the four soldiers were killed on Wednesday.

In addition to operations in and around Baghdad, large contingents of US and Iraqi soldiers are heavily engaged trying to drive insurgents from Baquba, in Diyala province, and from the Euphrates valley in Anbar province.

Wednesday's deaths bring the US military toll to 47 this month. The previous three months were the bloodiest for American forces since they led the invasion of Iraq in 2003.
    All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Thanks, I didn't know that people died in war.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
      Thanks, I didn't know that people died in war.
      Glad to be of service!

I couldn't find the original article from around June 2007 where the military said they were going to buy MRAPs. Here is a more recent article for your perusal.

Pentagon May Increase MRAP Purchase
      Associated Press
      July 17, 2007

WASHINGTON - Delivery delays have spurred the Pentagon to consider ordering up to 20,000 more armored vehicles needed to protect U.S. soldiers from roadside bombs in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Hampered by industry production constraints, the Marine Corps may launch a second competitive bid this month for upgraded Mine Resistant Ambush Protected, or MRAP, vehicles, according to a government document.

Production delays have put the Pentagon behind schedule on deployment so the second bid would aim to attract companies that may not have bid on the first go-round.

"What we are trying to do is manufacture as many as we can and get them to the field to the men and women who need them as fast as we can," says Cheryl Irwin, a Pentagon spokeswoman.

A second batch of MRAPs designed with a V-shaped hull would better repel a more advanced improvised explosive device, wounding and killing soldiers in Baghdad and elsewhere, Pentagon officials say.

Earlier this year, nine companies were chosen to build test MRAPs as the Pentagon ramped up production. The military has awarded six contracts for up to nearly 5,000 MRAPs, based on the results of those tests.

The latest deal for 1,170 MRAPs was awarded Friday by the Marines Corps to Stewart and Stevenson Tactical Vehicle System LP, a division of Armor Holdings Inc., for $518.5 million. Those vehicles will be delivered by the end of February 2008.

Other companies making MRAPs include BAE Systems Plc, Force Protection Industries Inc. , General Dynamics Corp. and Navistar International Corp.'s subsidiary International Military and Government LLC.

Companies interested in the second round of contracts would have to submit new test vehicles, the Pentagon said.

Comment

Unforetunately we seem always to be planning for the last war...
        How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
        275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Comment

Originally posted by Patrocles View Post
          Glad to be of service!
          Okay you worm.
          I have lost friends there and I was wounded there myself. I know just what it's like to see people you know explode or go pale so don't think that you are talking to some high school kid. Someday people like you are going to be made accountable for everything you did while we died for your sins. I'm not confused about who the enemy within really is and I swear, if a real leader ever arises, I'm not sitting idly by while this nation is made pure.

Comment

Okay you worm.
            I have lost friends there and I was wounded there myself. I know just what it's like to see people you know explode or go pale so don't think that you are talking to some high school kid. Someday people like you are going to be made accountable for everything you did while we died for your sins. I'm not confused about who the enemy within really is and I swear, if a real leader ever arises, I'm not sitting idly by while this nation is made pure.
            I'm feel sorry for your losses and anger, but I don't see why you direct such a tirade at me for telling you about MRAPs. Would you care to take this to a PM?

Comment

Everything I say I am accountable for, and I say it in the open. This isn't a joke to me: Those Marines had families and they were my friends and they are never coming back. As far as I'm concerned, people having a big death party are not even human beings.

Comment

Okay you worm.

Reporting death and glorifying death are two completely different things.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddybhoy View Post
                  Reporting death and glorifying death are two completely different things.
                  Is anyone confused about what people are up to when they do this? It's just like when hippies try to browbeat you with horrifically hateful ideology, but they get away with it because they say it nicely instead of bombastically. The only people who are fooled by this are the same knuckleheads whose will is sapped by the out of touch media.

Comment

Is anyone confused about what people are up to when they do this? It's just like when hippies try to browbeat you with horrifically hateful ideology, but they get away with it because they say it nicely instead of bombastically. The only people who are fooled by this are the same knuckleheads whose will is sapped by the out of touch media.
                    I couldn't agree more...

Unfortunately Patrocles enjoys a special status on the forum. He is allowed to do his "The joy of death in Iraq" dance without interference.
                    Later - Tater
                    "Why I have a greater affinity to Israel than to the Muslim world after 9/11: Watching a death-match fight on Animal Planet once, I found myself instinctively rooting for the mammal over the reptile."

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                      I couldn't agree more...

Unfortunately Patrocles enjoys a special status on the forum. He is allowed to do his "The joy of death in Iraq" dance without interference.
                      LMAO!

Comment

Well the enemy certainly does need cheerleaders. For all of their rhetoric, I haven't seen much evidence of the supposed "superior will of Islam." I've seen atheists hiding in foxholes, and I've seen careerists lead from behind, but I've never seen a Christian soldier hesitate before the enemy, or drug himself up before the fight as the enemy does. Someday when we wake up, they're going to see just what it looks like to face an American nation that is dedicated to winning a war: they are going to see what they have never seen before, something the Imperial Japanese and the Nazis didn't think existed either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X