US Forces Taking a Beating in Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Forces Taking a Beating in Iraq

From this report it appears the large US force was repulsed by Iraq militia defenders without much difficulty.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Well the force was conducting a reconnaissance operation, not an attack. The reason why I am reluctant to say the force was defeated because there were no reports of casualties, and if the commander wanted to, likely could have reinforced the 100 man TF. However, ROEs and the situation suggested it best to withdraw, rather than duke it out.

I don't want to come off as sounding like American forces can not be defeated by the Iraqi militia. They can. However, this feels more like a decision to disengage, rather than we got our *sses kicked.
    "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Thats how I read it too. The reporter/writer's choice of words gives the 'impression' of some sort of crisis, but nothing in the detail indicates that. Drama Queens!

"It was not known whether there were casualties, and there was no information on how many insurgents were involved."

"When the U.S. troops entered Kufa, they were met with grenade and small arms fire, and one tank was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade, White said. The battle lasted for slightly more than an hour."

"The fighting forced U.S. troops, who were using tanks, helicopters and armored personnel carriers, to return to their home base a short distance from the south-central Iraqi city, Raz reported."

I couldn't find any mention of it on Al Jazeera. CNN may not always be the best source for news.
      Last edited by Sharpe; 30 May 04, 21:13. Reason: additions

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X