Fallujah City Hall falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fallujah City Hall falls

This morning it is reported that the Iraqi government flag flies over Fallujah city hall, a day after the industrial quarter has been taken - fighting continues in other parts of the city but enemy resistance is said to be light. It sounds almost too easy - is this government over optimistic reporting or is it all going to boil down to a stonking big battle over Mosul?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36557092
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

The question now is whether the Iraqi security forces can hold territory given the number of Shia that have been given a gun. This could spark another uprising if the Shia start mistreating the locals.
    Ne Obliviscaris, Sans Peur

Comment

Originally posted by Escape2Victory View Post
      The question now is whether the Iraqi security forces can hold territory given the number of Shia that have been given a gun. This could spark another uprising if the Shia start mistreating the locals.
      Iraq has been awash with guns for decades now - too many guns and too many militias that don't really have allegiance to anyone other than a local leader and over which the state has little or no control. Saddam was able to control through sheer brutality and fear of his security apparatus. That all got dismantled without any real thought or effort going into replacing it with anything.
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

I wonder what will occur to the layman collaborators in Fallujah whom were assisting ISIL? I could see a ISIL general or officer being executed but what about the fate of the common Iraqis who did betray their country?

Will this be similar to WW2 when the everyday folks who assisted the third reich got a pass?
        Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
        Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
          I wonder what will occur to the layman collaborators in Fallujah whom were assisting ISIL? I could see a ISIL general or officer being executed but what about the fate of the common Iraqis who did betray their country?

Will this be similar to WW2 when the everyday folks who assisted the third reich got a pass?
          Well if you had a choice of cooperating and possibly staying alive or refusing and being executed on the spot how brave would you be?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
            Well if you had a choice of cooperating and possibly staying alive or refusing and being executed on the spot how brave would you be?
            Its a difficult situation for these folks. Though the Iraqis at this point in history are aware of the danger of living in Iraq, even in the non ISIL areas of Iraq. I dont live in ISILs Iraq and I did not live in Third Reich during WW2 so it is tough to say what I would do. Its easy for one to say Id join the fight. But I will say at the very least I would flee my country if I was in a situation in WW2 when the Reich took over my town or in a situation today where ISIL took over my town.

Reports from the ground show that some Iraqis have turned to ISIL, some have fled, and some have joined their fellow Iraqis in the fight against ISIL.
            Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
            Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

(...)But I will say at the very least I would flee my country if I was in a situation in WW2 when the Reich took over my town or in a situation today where ISIL took over my town.
              And leave your family and property behind ?
              Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Its a difficult situation for these folks. Though the Iraqis at this point in history are aware of the danger of living in Iraq, even in the non ISIL areas of Iraq. I dont live in ISILs Iraq and I did not live in Third Reich during WW2 so it is tough to say what I would do. Its easy for one to say Id join the fight. But I will say at the very least I would flee my country if I was in a situation in WW2 when the Reich took over my town or in a situation today where ISIL took over my town.

Easier to say than do as the fate of many refugees has shown. One of my aunts was in France when it fell in 1940, however she was married to an American journalist and so had a US passport as well as a British one and claimed neutral status. However even with the right paperwork they found it very difficult to get out of France and return to Britain via Spain and Portugal and it would be nigh on impossible for most French people. For Iraqis in Daesh territory it would be doubly difficult especially since the latter are said to summarily execute anyone caught trying to leave or even suspected of planning to do so. Moreover the Iraqi state appears to have made absolutely no provision for refugees.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X