Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Home again, finally.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home again, finally.

Hi everybody!

Just got back home today, after a long month or so...

I wanted to share my experience and more so, answer questions and clerfy things about the past operation in the strip, I'll start with what I was up to in the last month and if you have any questions, comments, whatever and you want to hear my humble opinion of it, I'll be more than happy to sound it off.

Well, starting with some basic information about me- I joined the 1st Infantry brigade ('Golani') in November 2005 after basic and advanced training we took part in the 2nd Lebanese war, soon after I went to squad leaders school, returned as a squad leader in basic trainig (it's different than the US method, the closest resemblance for it is a drill instructor) afterwards I was back in my rifle company acting as a platoon sergeant when we held the line in Gaza between July and December 2007, after that I was sent to officer school and after my graduation I was positioned, regretfully, as an instructor in the national training center, I mainly instruct on Urban terrain warfare and CQB, just recently promoted to 1st Lt.

When everything erupted I was sure I'm going to miss it, like I said, for now, I'm just an instructor, there will be no need for me there...but, on Tuesday the 29th I got a phone call from my CO telling me to get back to base as soon as possible.
    Actually, I somewhat expected it, I AM an urben warfare instructor and we train in the best place available:
    http://www.fxp.co.il/showthread.php?t=353321
    There will probably be a use for me and so it turned out we started training regular and reserve units for the big entrance.
    But that wasn't enough for me, I didn't want to sit in the balcony, I wanted to be a part of the show..so, simultaneously I had a talk with my C.O who, luckely for me grow up in the same brigade as I did and is the former XO of the northen brigade of Gaza, he felt for me and told me he'll help me out.
    So, at the weekend he drove with me to the assembling area of my old battalion that was not far from our base and we went to talk to my former battalion commander to find a spot where I could fit in, he said he'll be more than happy to have an extra set of hands, especially an officer, obviously I couldn't get my old platoon back but I was assiganed to the battalion leader's team (Basiclly about a platoon sized unit that consists of the battalion c.o, his RTO, a medic, the battalion intel and operations officers and the c.o's guard) I geared up and got ready.

A funny thing that happend to me in the assembling area was 2 Strykrs that showed up, turned out they were tested there (one of them by a buddy of mine) and the guys operating them wanted to make sure they won't be mistakenly identified as BRDMs and shot so they drove from unit to unit and introduced it, that immediately made me think of a dissucssion I had here on ACG of what is worse, an M-113 or a Strykr.

Turnes out they were ready ro get in a couple of times before and were stand down for 24 hours, that happened once more...
    Finally, on Saturday the 3rd afternoon we got the final word and went in.
    That's the last date I can recall, after that it all turned into a blur of events and missions.
    We got in and out a coupe of times during the operation so I was able to let everyone know I'm safe and catch up-we were mostly disappointed of what we heared....

Earlier this week we got our orders to get out, for now.
    We were all very confused, it was really not what we expected it all to be, we were expacting alot more resistance than what we encountered, more casualties, alot more courge and better weapons from Hamas and that we'll stay in longer and achieve more than what we actually did.
    I've been in the strip before, alot of times, that felt just like one of those times only it lasted longer and was of bigger proportions, that did not feel like the BIG operationg we were hoping, waiting and ready for, not for me anyway...

They send us home this morning, unless something big happens I'll be back in my training unit sunday until this period is done and hopefully I'll be back in a leadership role.

Like I said, if you want to asked (or comment) about anything (other than classified weapons, tactics pland and such) I'll be more than happy to answer.

I want to use this opportunity aswell to pray for a fast recuperation for 2 friends of mine:
    1st. Lt. Ran Avraham and 2nd Lt. Aharon Karov.
    Amen.

Prayers sent. I'm glad you made it back safely.
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Glad you made it out safe Oded I've read a few weeks ago that the Golani Brigade was the victim of a blue on blue incident resulting in fatalities , can you confirm?

Comment

Good to see you back! I wish the fastest recovery to the wounded.
        What was the overall reaction of people to the op's termination? I'm sure the soldiers are dissapointed, but.. how much?
        Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
        I've read a few weeks ago that the Golani Brigade was the victim of a blue on blue incident resulting in fatalities , can you confirm?
        I'm not Oded, but yep - that indeed happened. A tank shot a shell on a building where Israeli soldiers were positioned.
        'Si vis pacem, para bellum' - Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De Re Militari

Comment

Welcome back Oded. Pulling away from the pier is rarely a problem, pulling back into port safelly can be another issue altogether.
          Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
          Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Glad you made it back in one piece
            "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

May you end all your missions as healthy as this one. I'm fascinated because like you, I expected Iwo Jima. Perhaps they spent all their wefare coupons on rockets and didn't have enough left over for infantry weapons.
              Sadly, I doubt this is the last action. As ex-Navy I probably should let the grunts ask you the good questions. I'll read.

Comment

Welcome back, mate. Thanks for the update.
                "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                Ernest Hemingway.

First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure. - Mark Twain.

Comment

Welcome back -- glad you came home in one piece.
                  Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                  Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                  http://www.mormon.org
                  http://www.sca.org
                  http://www.scv.org/
                  http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

PLEASE KEEP THESE KINDS OF COMMENTS TO YOURSELF.
                    FURTHER SUCH STATEMENTS WILL RESULT IN BEING BANNED.
                    >ACG Staff
                    Last edited by Duncan; 22 Jan 09, 17:58.

Comment

Moderation is not discussed publicly.
                      I have sent you a private reply.
                      >ACG Staff
                      Last edited by Duncan; 22 Jan 09, 19:25.

Comment

This is not an appropriate thread for this discussion.
                        Please start a new thread if you wish to address a topic other than the one at hand.
                        >ACG Staff
                        Last edited by Duncan; 22 Jan 09, 19:27.

Comment

Glad you made it home safely. Prayers said for your friends.

Comment

OK

Here r points for discussuion

Hi Golani

I can see that you as an army have never entered Gaza.

Only killed 2 Hamas leaders (civilians not militants), but killed around 500 women and children

Hamas was launching tens of rockets on Israel until the ceasefire.

It is not strange u r describing the whole thing as a (show).

Comment

saw this coming

oh boy

either way, welcome back (if this is a welcome).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X