• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Nobody denies Jewish history here'

'Nobody denies Jewish history here'

By HILARY LEILA KRIEGER
    06/11/2010 02:26

Abbas seeks "end of conflict" with land swaps, okays NATO presence.
    WASHINGTON – Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas laid out new requirements for moving to direct talks with Israel Thursday, dropping earlier calls for a settlement freeze in favor of progress on borders and security.

Specifically, he said he was looking for agreement from the Netanyahu government that the basis for borders would be the 1967 lines with agreed land swaps, an arrangement he said was in place during his direct talks with the previous prime minister, Ehud Olmert.

“Everyone around the world talks about the ’67 borders, but with some amendments, some swaps here and there,” he told a Brookings Institution forum the day after he met with US President Barack Obama and other top American officials"

"Abbas accepts historical Jewish presence in Middle East

When asked about whether under a final agreement the PA would recognize Israel as a Jewish state, Abbas told the crowd of 30 leaders of major Jewish organizations, former national security advisors and think tank experts that Israel would be free to describe itself however it wanted.

But he also said, “Nobody denies the Jewish history in the Middle East. A third of our holy Koran talks about the Jews in the Middle East, in this area. Nobody from our side at least denies that the Jews were in Palestine.”

http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=178137
    For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman

I wonder how much time will pass until he's assassinated by Iran's proxies...

Why should direct talks have pre-decided requirements?

I thought the whole point in negotiations is negotiating...

Comment

But he also said, “Nobody denies the Jewish history in the Middle East. A third of our holy Koran talks about the Jews in the Middle East, in this area. Nobody from our side at least denies that the Jews were in Palestine.”
      Pretty much everyone on his side denies the Jews were in "Palestine". They're willing to slaughter every man, woman, and child to make their point, too.
      "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
      — Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post

Why should direct talks have pre-decided requirements?

I thought the whole point in negotiations is negotiating...
        Exactly. With requirements they can always use it as an excuse to renege on the talks. Robert
        For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman

Comment

"When asked about whether under a final agreement the PA would recognize Israel as a Jewish state, Abbas told the crowd of 30 leaders of major Jewish organizations, former national security advisors and think tank experts that Israel would be free to describe itself however it wanted."

Didn't really answer the question does it? Robert

Comment

Actually was not Israel a few years back just building fencing off the areas that were going to be Israel according to the last plan. I know there were some exceptions because common sense fence building areas. So what is actually left to negotiate other than Jerusalem which is non negotatable pretty much if your going to have a city Unless we want a new check point charlie issue.

Comment

Jerusalem will always be a sticking point unfortunately. Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post

I wonder how many have already tried. This will just give them another reason to try harder.

Comment

"I would never deny (the) Jewish right to the land of Israel," he said.

In an interview later Wednesday on PBS, Abbas said Israel must cede East Jerusalem as a precondition for peace talks, Haaretz said.

"East Jerusalem is occupied territory. The entire world recognizes that including the United States of America," Abbas said. "We cannot accept any solution that excludes East Jerusalem."

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/...4981276217614/

Comment

And this from back in February.

"Furthermore, Gilad Erdan, Israel’s Environmental Protection Minister said that Mahmoud Abbas is still unable to “free himself of his past as a holocaust denier,” and fails to “acknowledge the Jewish history that dates thousands of years in the country.”

http://www.imemc.org/article/58040

Comment

Hey, Abu Mazen (Abbas) is known as the Vidkun Quisling of the Middle East. He has zero credibility on the "Arab street". So any assassination is potentially counterproductive.

Don't let these comments get you guys down. Never fear- he's your boy.

Comment

Interesting that He would mention NATO but not the UN. Robert

"Abbas’s outreach seems largely aimed at positioning himself as a moderate who can be trusted by the US and reassuring the American Jewish community and Israelis of his intentions.

To that end, Abbas reaffirmed publicly positions more often heard from Palestinians in private, such as his willingness to have a long-term international presence in Palestinian areas in order “to make the Israeli people feel secure inside their homes.”

He pointed to NATO as one such organization he had discussed with American officials, declaring through a translator, “We have no objections to NATO.”

He rejected out of hand the concept of a one-state solution, but said the popularity of this idea was growing among Palestinians and added to the urgency of resolving the situation so that there would be “no more demands” and an “end of claims.” He also said that the matter of Palestinian refugees would be handled by an “agreed” solution."

Comment

Originally posted by علامت پیروز View Post
                          Hey, Abu Mazen (Abbas) is known as the Vidkun Quisling of the Middle East. He has zero credibility on the "Arab street". So any assassination is potentially counterproductive.

Don't let these comments get you guys down. Never fear- he's your boy.
                          The context of the Iranian regime would make him more like the Francisco Franco of the Middle East with Hamas representing the Mussolinin regime and of course Ahdidminijad representing the "little corporal""

Having decided not to participate in the suicide attack that Iran, Syria and other radical regimes have planned for all of the Palestinain people, of course he must be discredited. Radicals cannot tolerate those less radical than themselves.
                          "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                          George Mason
                          Co-author of the Second Amendment
                          during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberknight View Post
                            The context of the Iranian regime would make him more like the Francisco Franco of the Middle East with Hamas representing the Mussolinin regime and of course Ahdidminijad representing the "little corporal""

Having decided not to participate in the suicide attack that Iran, Syria and other radical regimes have planned for all of the Palestinain people, of course he must be discredited. Radicals cannot tolerate those less radical than themselves.
                            Cyberknight. I find it even more funny that Mr Squiggles thinks that Abbas is "Our Boy" . Far from it. Especially if you read ALL of his comments. Robert

Comment

Originally posted by JCFalkenbergIII View Post
                              And this from back in February.

"Furthermore, Gilad Erdan, Israel’s Environmental Protection Minister said that Mahmoud Abbas is still unable to “free himself of his past as a holocaust denier,” and fails to “acknowledge the Jewish history that dates thousands of years in the country.”

http://www.imemc.org/article/58040
                              Makes you wonder what changed from February. Robert

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X