Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Israel forced to apologise for YouTube spoof of Gaza flotilla

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Israel forced to apologise for YouTube spoof of Gaza flotilla

    Makes you wonder sometimes what the hell people are thinking when something like this is made. Does this really help the international opinion any better? Robert


    Israel forced to apologise for YouTube spoof of Gaza flotilla

    Israeli government press office distributed video link featuring Arabs and activists singing

    The Israeli government has been forced to apologise for circulating a spoof video mocking activists aboard the Gaza flotilla, nine of who were shot dead by Israeli forces last week.

    The YouTube clip, set to the tune of the 1985 charity single We Are the World, features Israelis dressed as Arabs and activists, waving weapons while singing: "We con the world, we con the people. We'll make them all believe the IDF (Israel Defence Force) is Jack the Ripper."

    It continues: "There's no people dying, so the best that we can do is create the biggest bluff of all."

    The Israeli government press office distributed the video link to foreign journalists at the weekend, but within hours emailed them an apology, saying it had been an error. Press office director Danny Seaman said the video did not reflect official state opinion, but in his personal capacity he thought it was "fantastic".

    Government spokesman Mark Regev said the video reflected how Israelis felt about the incident. "I called my kids in to watch it because I thought it was funny," he said. "It is what Israelis feel. But the government has nothing to do with it."

    The clip features a group led by the Jerusalem Post's deputy managing editor Caroline Glick, wearing keffiyehs and calling themselves the Flotilla Choir. The footage is interspersed with clips from the recent Israeli raid on the Gaza-bound aid ship, the Mavi Marmara.

    The clip has been praised in Israel, where the mass-circulation daily Yediot Aharonot said the singers "defended Israel better than any of the experts".

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...-gaza-flotilla

    Last edited by JCFalkenbergIII; 09 Jun 10, 14:20.
    For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman

  • #2
    If it can be traced to government officials, they need to go. The sooner, the better.
    [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by JCFalkenbergIII View Post
      Makes you wonder sometimes what the hell people are thinking when something like this is made. Does this really help the international opinion any better? Robert


      Israel forced to apologise for YouTube spoof of Gaza flotilla

      Israeli government press office distributed video link featuring Arabs and activists singing

      The Israeli government has been forced to apologise for circulating a spoof video mocking activists aboard the Gaza flotilla, nine of who were shot dead by Israeli forces last week.

      The YouTube clip, set to the tune of the 1985 charity single We Are the World, features Israelis dressed as Arabs and activists, waving weapons while singing: "We con the world, we con the people. We'll make them all believe the IDF (Israel Defence Force) is Jack the Ripper."

      It continues: "There's no people dying, so the best that we can do is create the biggest bluff of all."

      The Israeli government press office distributed the video link to foreign journalists at the weekend, but within hours emailed them an apology, saying it had been an error. Press office director Danny Seaman said the video did not reflect official state opinion, but in his personal capacity he thought it was "fantastic".

      Government spokesman Mark Regev said the video reflected how Israelis felt about the incident. "I called my kids in to watch it because I thought it was funny," he said. "It is what Israelis feel. But the government has nothing to do with it."

      The clip features a group led by the Jerusalem Post's deputy managing editor Caroline Glick, wearing keffiyehs and calling themselves the Flotilla Choir. The footage is interspersed with clips from the recent Israeli raid on the Gaza-bound aid ship, the Mavi Marmara.

      The clip has been praised in Israel, where the mass-circulation daily Yediot Aharonot said the singers "defended Israel better than any of the experts".

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...-gaza-flotilla

      I doubt sincerly they were 'forced' at all. Merely good and typical CYA politics. The Pali's and their lovers are not going to force BiBi to do anything.

      If it's done, it's done for conventions/diplomatic forms sake not realities.

      TD

      Comment


      • #4
        I thought it was a pretty good spoof.
        You don't like religious fundamentalists with guns? Who do you think landed at Plymouth Rock?

        Comment


        • #5
          Good man. you get Rep for obviously demonstrating your recognition of how often times, irony is based on truth.

          TD

          Comment


          • #6
            Wow! Over 1 million and a half views and over 42,000 comments so far since the 3rd. Robert
            For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman

            Comment


            • #7
              Israel apologizes for sending link to flotilla parody
              2 hrs 23 mins ago

              The Israeli government has apologized for sending the press a link to an online video parodying last week's deadly commando raid on a flotilla of pro-Gaza activists.The video, which promptly went viral, has stirred up further outrage about the fallout from the raid, with some calling for the video's apparent creator, a Jerusalem Post columnist, to be fired for spoofing the circumstances of an attack claiming nine fatalities.

              The video shows people dressed up as Gaza activists, some in Arab-looking attire, singing "We Con the World" to the tune of the Michael Jackson hit "We Are the World" with the "we" being the activists seeking to break Israel's blockade of Gaza. Waving knives and batons, the faux-activists sing: "We'll make the world abandon reason / We'll make them believe that the Hamas is Momma Teresa," and, "As Allah has shown us / For facts there's no demand."

              http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/201006...s/ynews_wl2491
              For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman

              Comment


              • #8
                The spoof has already been linked by RS116, and I posted the link to the Israeli's government false apologies here:

                http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...&postcount=696

                And a pretty slimy explanation by the Israeli officials caught with the fingers in the cookie jar:

                The Israeli government press office distributed the video link to foreign journalists at the weekend, but within hours emailed them an apology, saying it had been an error. Press office director Danny Seaman said the video did not reflect official state opinion, but in his personal capacity he thought it was "fantastic".

                Government spokesman Mark Regev said the video reflected how Israelis felt about the incident. "I called my kids in to watch it because I thought it was funny," he said. "It is what Israelis feel. But the government has nothing to do with it."

                http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/mid...t/10253357.stm

                kelt
                Last edited by kelt06; 09 Jun 10, 15:11.

                Comment


                • #9
                  In very poor taste. From a public relations standpoint, if they offend a pro-Israeli American like me, that is not good for their cause. The average American, to the extent they care, will be very offended.

                  My question is, is there a version of this in Hebrew, or just in English. It seems to suggest to me that it was made for US consumption, because the stuff about don't believe what you see on TV, etc. is clearly not meant for internal consumption.

                  I also take offense at the Mother Theresa comment. In my mind she was a great person who happened to be Catholic - mind your own business.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The average American, to the extent they care, will be very offended.

                    Nah. the average 'street' American doesn't care hence won't be offended.
                    What it does continue to do, (whether you or I am Pro-Israel is moot), shows the opinion of the Israeli people. And the divide that exsists.

                    Other then that to make more of it merely supports Hamahaha. Brcause your either going to believe the Pali-lover version or the IG's. Bottomline.

                    TD
                    Last edited by Thunder Dome; 09 Jun 10, 17:23.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
                      In very poor taste. From a public relations standpoint, if they offend a pro-Israeli American like me, that is not good for their cause. The average American, to the extent they care, will be very offended.

                      I also take offense at the Mother Theresa comment. In my mind she was a great person who happened to be Catholic - mind your own business.
                      I would consider myself to be a relatively average American and I thought it was funny as hell. Also I'm not sure how the Mother Theresa thing offends you. If anything it is using her as an example of absolute innocence and goodness to compare the false image of Hamas to.
                      "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        That video is brilliant. It is so disrespectful in so many ways. But it's like it's propaganda that knows it's propaganda. I was laughing my ass off the whole time. I just hope if there's ever a video against something I like, I hope I can laugh just as hard. Awesome.
                        How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
                        275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
                          I would consider myself to be a relatively average American and I thought it was funny as hell. Also I'm not sure how the Mother Theresa thing offends you. If anything it is using her as an example of absolute innocence and goodness to compare the false image of Hamas to.
                          Because She is a revered Catholic leader, and Israel is a "Jewish State." They can pick on a Jewish heroine if they wish; I wouldn't be offended by that, it would be "their hero".

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
                            I would consider myself to be a relatively average American and I thought it was funny as hell. Also I'm not sure how the Mother Theresa thing offends you. If anything it is using her as an example of absolute innocence and goodness to compare the false image of Hamas to.
                            Spot on...I thought it was freaking hilarious. It was more than appropriate and it was absolutely truthful.

                            I watched it twice...
                            Later - Tater
                            "Why I have a greater affinity to Israel than to the Muslim world after 9/11: Watching a death-match fight on Animal Planet once, I found myself instinctively rooting for the mammal over the reptile."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It should be mandatory viewing at all Islamic educational establishments. And the leftist based American university system.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X