Hamas Says Egypt Kills 4 Tunnel Smugglers With Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamas Says Egypt Kills 4 Tunnel Smugglers With Gas

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) Egyptian forces pumped gas into a cross-border tunnel used to smuggle goods into the Gaza Strip on Wednesday, killing four Palestinians, Hamas officials said.
    Egypt has been under pressure to seal off the hundreds of tunnels that are a key economic lifeline for the blockaded Palestinian territory but which are also used to bring in weapons for the Islamic militant group.
    Israel and Egypt have kept Gaza's official border crossings closed since Hamas seized control of the coastal strip in 2007 from forces loyal to Western-backed Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, who now only governs in the West Bank.

Read more:http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/04...smugglers-gas/

All a ramification of Hamas policy if it's true. Egypt has no love for Israel, but fears Iranian influence and will crack down on Tehran's proxy's when it wants. Additionally that Hezbollah plot to blow up resorts in the Sinai wasn't exactly the smartest move on the part of the Ayatollah's.

Also at the end of the day Egypt is fiercely nationalistic and proud and if you poke at their pride they'll go batshit on you, as the recent soccer riots/diplomatic crisis with Algeria has demonstrated. That's another key reason Egypt is cracking down on Hamas, they want to show they're the alpha dog and will dictate the Palestinians, not Iran.
    Last edited by Megaharrison; 28 Apr 10, 17:38.

Comment

I'm waiting for the international media rant about how evil Egypt is, but I'm betting that it will never materialize.

Can you imagine the uproar, however, if America was responsible?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I'm waiting for the international media rant about how evil Egypt is, but I'm betting that it will never materialize.

Can you imagine the uproar, however, if America was responsible?
        Well its long been demonstrated that Arab regimes enjoy the luxury of getting away with far more then the US and especially Israel. The recent Saudi war in Yemen was a perfect example of this. How much hoopla did that make in the media? Not even a peep. Now imagine if the Israeli's struck a target in Yemen that killed 70+ people.

Honestly it's useful that Egypt does stuff like this as it basically allows for crackdowns on Hamas without international whining. Even double standards can prove advantageous. It's why the US Army Corps of Engineers is building that wall for them.
        Last edited by Megaharrison; 28 Apr 10, 17:38.

Comment

True. Odd, though, that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers can build such a wall over there, but not along our border with Mexico...

Comment

Thats one way of doing it I suppose.
            Sincerely,

xllhawksllx

Comment

Gas?

Shreck; "Trust me Donkey, if that was me, you'd be dead!"

Sorry, inside joke unless you have seen that movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                Gas?

Shreck; "Trust me Donkey, if that was me, you'd be dead!"

Sorry, inside joke unless you have seen that movie.
                "Onions. You're an onion, get it?"

Comment

All these posts and I still don't understand what the problem is. Does Hamas think it can do what it wants?

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                    All these posts and I still don't understand what the problem is. Does Hamas think it can do what it wants?

Pruitt
                    They claim it is the will of God and they have massive numbers of cheap expendable gunmen.
                    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Megaharrison View Post
                      All a ramification of Hamas policy if it's true. Egypt has no love for Israel, but fears Iranian influence and will crack down on Tehran's proxy's when it wants. Additionally that Hezbollah plot to blow up resorts in the Sinai wasn't exactly the smartest move on the part of the Ayatollah's.

Also at the end of the day Egypt is fiercely nationalistic and proud and if you poke at their pride they'll go batshit on you, as the recent soccer riots/diplomatic crisis with Algeria has demonstrated. That's another key reason Egypt is cracking down on Hamas, they want to show they're the alpha dog and will dictate the Palestinians, not Iran.
                      Sounds like a solid assessment.

What you probably don't know (since it's not sexy enough for world news) and supports your claim is that an unknown organization launched rockets aimed at Eilat from Sinai, last week.
                      All rockets either landed in sea or hit aqaba.

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
                        Sounds like a solid assessment.

What you probably don't know (since it's not sexy enough for world news) and supports your claim is that an unknown organization launched rockets aimed at Eilat from Sinai, last week.
                        All rockets either landed in sea or hit aqaba.
                        Yeah I heard of that. I think it's kind of amusing as the terrorists fired rockets at Israel, but completely missed the country and hit Jordan instead. I mean if someone got hurt it wouldn't be as funny I suppose.

Egypt has had big time issues with terrorists in the Sinai ever since Hamas blew up the border 2 years ago. Additionally the high rate of corruption within the Egyptian police/army combined has resulted in many of these areas falling under a type of smuggler-mob rule where terrorists elements flourish. But hopefully now that Egypt is at least making an effort to curb smuggling this dangerous situation can be reversed.

Really I think the only solution for the Gaza smuggling problem would have been for the IDF to occupy the Philadelphi Corridor during Cast Lead. A wasted opportunity in my mind.
                        Last edited by Megaharrison; 30 Apr 10, 09:39.

Comment

The Philadelphi Corridor has many problems, tactically it is very hard to defend, it is very narrow and forces the IDF to bunker up in it's outposts making it a sitting duck for Hamas attacks, anything from mortars, AT fire and sniping up until explosion tunnels dug underneath outposts.

Diplomatically, re-occupying it will erase the memory of Israel's one sided complete withdrawal from Gaza.

The solution may only lay in Egypt being able to impose it's law on Sinai, right now Sinai is closer to the wild west laws.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X