Inside the IDF: 'We don't have enough soldiers'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inside the IDF: 'We don't have enough soldiers'

‘Demographic challenges” are leaving the IDF with fewer soldiers than it needs to defend the country against the threats it faces, and that forces the state to take a strong stance against draft-dodging, Brig.-Gen. Orna Barbivai, deputy head of the IDF’s Human Resources Branch, told The Jerusalem Post this week.

According to Barbivai, one of only three women brigadier-generals in the IDF, the notion that a growing population means that there are already enough soldiers to fill the army’s manpower needs is mistaken.

“We don’t have enough soldiers,” she said simply.
    http://www.jpost.com/Features/FrontL...aspx?id=170260

I was surprised when I read about this several months ago in my wife's Hadassah magazine (Hadassah is the women's group that supports Israel). The fact that Hadassah featured it as a major article told me it must be a major problem. The article actually wasn't just about military manpower, but participation in the economy as well. I may not be remembering correctly, but many of the men study until middle age, while their wives work.
    Last edited by lakechampainer; 07 Mar 10, 09:45.

Comment

Why recrutment is more and more difficult:

http://www.jpost.com/Features/Article.aspx?id=43197

With morale among career officers at an all-time low, the IDF is strategizing to prevent mass resignations and bring training and equipment up to par.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1072821.html

IDF ceased long ago being 'most moral army in the world'

Ther IDF learned and adapted from the mistakes and equipment shortcomings of 2006, no doubts it will find how to overcome the present bad period.

kelt
      Last edited by kelt06; 07 Mar 10, 18:24.

Comment

Shocking news to me.

Comment

As always kelt tries to drag the discussion in a completely irrelevant (and wrong) way.

I by the way, disagree with her, with all do respect to her being a Brig. General and the XO for human resources.

Draft dodgers are a problem, not the Haredim and Arabs, that's not news if it's happing since 1948.

The society became much more individual oriented and people wouldn't "sacrifice" 3 long years in the military when these 3 years could easily be put into school, work, or simply getting high and getting multiple STDs.

We have ENOUGH soldiers, we just don't know how to (or can't) direct them to the right positions.

Most infantry units are at 50% standard, while clerks are at such an abundance they could file all of USSR's records in a week (if they'd ever bothered getting up from their lazy arses...)

Hidden unemployment-that's our problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
            As always kelt tries to drag the discussion in a completely irrelevant (and wrong) way.

I by the way, disagree with her, with all do respect to her being a Brig. General and the XO for human resources.

Draft dodgers are a problem, not the Haredim and Arabs, that's not news if it's happing since 1948.

The society became much more individual oriented and people wouldn't "sacrifice" 3 long years in the military when these 3 years could easily be put into school, work, or simply getting high and getting multiple STDs.

We have ENOUGH soldiers, we just don't know how to (or can't) direct them to the right positions.

Most infantry units are at 50% standard, while clerks are at such an abundance they could file all of USSR's records in a week (if they'd ever bothered getting up from their lazy arses...)

Hidden unemployment-that's our problem.

Golani,

I take offense at being considered a "she" and a Brigadier General to boot, fact is that I retired from the Paratroop reserve force at a lesser grade, but that of a pratician rather than of a theorician.

Since it is obvious to all that a green lieutnant know better than a seasoned General, let's hear your views on the overall low morale of the Israeli soldiers relegated to the task of occupation Force, and in the aftermath of operation cast lead:

During Operation Cast Lead, Israeli forces killed Palestinian civilians under permissive rules of engagement and intentionally destroyed their property, say soldiers who fought in the offensive.

The soldiers are graduates of the Yitzhak Rabin pre-military preparatory course at Oranim Academic College in Tivon. Some of their statements made on Feb. 13 will appear Thursday and Friday in Haaretz. Dozens of graduates of the course who took part in the discussion fought in the Gaza operation.

The speakers included combat pilots and infantry soldiers. Their testimony runs counter to the Israel Defense Forces' claims that Israeli troops observed a high level of moral behavior during the operation. The session's transcript was published this week in the newsletter for the course's graduates

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1072040.html

kelt

Comment

Originally posted by kelt06 View Post
              Why recrutment is more and more difficult:

http://www.jpost.com/Features/Article.aspx?id=43197

With morale among career officers at an all-time low, the IDF is strategizing to prevent mass resignations and bring training and equipment up to par.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1072821.html

IDF ceased long ago being 'most moral army in the world'

Ther IDF learned and adapted from the mistakes and equipment shortcomings of 2006, no doubts it will find how to overcome the present bad period.

kelt
              ha Kelt, you have much to "learn"...

Comment

Maybe the low morale in IDF has more to do with DM Barack "leaderhip" and actions against Jews living in Judea and Samaria than mythical "Palestinian abuse" Kelt? Mayority of officers atlest in combat units are religius and/or nationalist. But maybe military penpushers who plague IDF acording to Golani had different priorities.
                Israel realy shud realy establish no service no citisenship policy to both Arabs, Haredis and Tel Aviv golden youth. Even mobile and high tech IDF needs infantry.
                Kosovo is Serbian.
                I support United Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
                Behead those who say Islam is violent!

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralTsoGood View Post
                  ha Kelt, you have much to "learn"...
                  There is always something to learn, like reading your visitors messages, I spilled some of my coffee reading them.

kelt

Comment

There is always something to learn, like reading your visitors messages, I spilled some of my coffee reading them.

kelt
                    funny right? especially when you consider who they come from/who they are addressed to...

anyways, youre funny too!

Comment

Kelt,

I believe the "she" and the Brigadier General in Golani's post refers to Orna Barbivai from the first post.

Pruitt
                      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Short of manpower? Ok, if Oded puts a good word for me, I'm ready to enlist in Golani Brigade!!!
                        Nasrallah is in panic...
                        A ME LE GUARDIE
                        "Di noi tremò la nostra vecchia gloria. Tre secoli di fede e una vittoria". Gabriele D'Annunzio

Comment

Golani,

I take offense at being considered a "she" and a Brigadier General to boot, fact is that I retired from the Paratroop reserve force at a lesser grade, but that of a pratician rather than of a theorician.
                          Don't flatter yourself, Pruitt is right.

Since it is obvious to all that a green lieutnant know better than a seasoned General,
                          Since Generals (especially those who testify they were in the Human Resources Branch for all their service-did you even read the article?) tend to see things in a twisted manner.
                          Yes, as someone who served in the infantry from day 1 for the last 4.5 years and was in every rank between Pvt. and 1st Lt. I think I have a perspective on this issue.
                          let's hear your views on the overall low morale of the Israeli soldiers relegated to the task of occupation Force
                          There's no decrease in moral.
                          If anything, like DB said, there are different issues on our soldiers' mind.

As for the other bul you posted, that was a hoax. of course you'll just call me a liar, so give me some time to find it the written proof.

Originally posted by Granatiere View Post
                          Short of manpower? Ok, if Oded puts a good word for me, I'm ready to enlist in Golani Brigade!!!
                          Nasrallah is in panic...
                          You can't handle our coffee

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
                            Don't flatter yourself, Pruitt is right.

Since Generals (especially those who testify they were in the Human Resources Branch for all their service-did you even read the article?) tend to see things in a twisted manner.
                            Yes, as someone who served in the infantry from day 1 for the last 4.5 years and was in every rank between Pvt. and 1st Lt. I think I have a perspective on this issue.

There's no decrease in moral.
                            If anything, like DB said, there are different issues on our soldiers' mind.

As for the other bul you posted, that was a hoax. of course you'll just call me a liar, so give me some time to find it the written proof.

You can't handle our coffee
                            Is the Goldstone report on War crimes commited in Gaza by the Hamas and Israel army a hoax?

kelt

Comment

Some day, I'll have to start ignoring you kelt, as always you steer threads in a complete unrelated direction, but here goes- the refutation of the claims:

http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3694477,00.html

http://www.nrg.co.il/online/1/ART1/8...loc=8&tmp=7899

If you want to see the complete turn out and how things got snowballed, then here:

http://www.fresh.co.il/vBulletin//sh...d.php?t=464039

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X