X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Utility of Assassination

For your evaluation.

http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/20100...8330615fd04dc1

Good one, had not gotten to it yet. I wonder what the master of the Assassins would have said about it.

http://www.acampbell.ukfsn.org/assassins/index.html
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Interesting article. From the text.

"Defining Assassination
      We should begin by defining what we mean by assassination. It is the killing of a particular individual for political purposes. It differs from the killing of a spouse’s lover because it is political. It differs from the killing of a soldier on the battlefield in that the soldier is anonymous and is not killed because of who he is but because of the army he is serving in."

It might split hairs but is killing an individual whose death would have real military benifits, such as Yamamoto in WW2, really count as political purposes as opposed to military purposes?
      "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
      George Mason
      Co-author of the Second Amendment
      during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

Should the killing of someone who is guilty of murder by several accounts, kidnapping and terrorizing be considered "political"?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberknight View Post
          It might split hairs but is killing an individual whose death would have real military benifits, such as Yamamoto in WW2, really count as political purposes as opposed to military purposes?
          If you buy into Clausewitz ...

Comment

I contend there is a legitimate purpose for assassination during warfare. The recent events in Dubai illustrate just this sort of legitimate use of the option. It doesn't matter who did it, he was an active quasi-military participant in an armed conflict and was, therefore a legitimate target.

Our western squeamishness about spying, assassination and the like is very odd to me. I think we should use whatever tools produce the best results, military and political combined.

And yes, assassinating pure politicians for pure political gain is over the line. However, as soon as they pick up a weapon, supply weapons or provide money used for weapons, they are targets! This should be clear.

Comment

I approve of the hit. Brilliant work!

Comment

I can't believe this is a subject.

Kill them al and let God sort them out.

If leaders???? were targets now many conflict would never have started.
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                  ...If leaders???? were targets now many conflict would never have started.
                  This is true. Who was the last king or head of state to actually fight in battle?

Could you imagine Bush or Barry Hussein yelling out "follow me!" and would you follow? Lol!

Comment

now Hamas claiming it was Egypt or jordan behind the hit...

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1153316.html

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
                      Should the killing of someone who is guilty of murder by several accounts, kidnapping and terrorizing be considered "political"?
                      Ah..well. I've seen that defined as 'JUSTICE'.

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X