Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saudi east-west pipeline to port of Yanbu, and Jazan refinery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saudi east-west pipeline to port of Yanbu, and Jazan refinery.

The East west pipeline to Yanbu is expected to be upgraded by 2023, while the large refinery at Jazan is is expected to be begin refinery operations by the end of this year.
    Will these refineries become a catalyst for more aggressive attacks from Yemen, and facilitate a US response?
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

Yanbu is about 500 miles from Yemen, how are they going to attack it? Unless they have a hell of a navy, you must mean terrorism.

I'd call that an internal matter for the Saudis to deal with themselves, and I think they'd prefer to do the same.
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

By sheer coincidence I was watching Lawrence of Arabia this morning. If the Yemenis go old school and sneak in small numbers of saboteurs they can keep hitting the pipeline and occasionally hit the refinery.

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
        Yanbu is about 500 miles from Yemen, how are they going to attack it? Unless they have a hell of a navy, you must mean terrorism.

I'd call that an internal matter for the Saudis to deal with themselves, and I think they'd prefer to do the same.
        The rumours are that Iran have shipped short ranged ballistic missiles, and that is one reason touted why the carrier, and bombers were sent over there. The rebels in Yemen have already fired small drones at the east west pipeline but the warheads weren't big enough to cause a disruption in the flow of oil.
        "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
        Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post

The rumours are that Iran have shipped short ranged ballistic missiles, and that is one reason touted why the carrier, and bombers were sent over there. The rebels in Yemen have already fired small drones at the east west pipeline but the warheads weren't big enough to cause a disruption in the flow of oil.
          I suspect that they'd have to be medium range. Refineries and pipelines are quite difficult to knock out with ballistic missiles unless one is using very high tech stuff. Acruise missile would be better. Most refineries, especially in Saudi where land availability/use is not an issue, are quite spread out with most of them being open spaces. This in normal times is a useful safety factor so that a fire or explosion in one part of the complex is unlikely to effect other parts and can be easily isolated. The accuracy of ballistic missiles is such that one might get some within the perimeter but hitting anything vital is a matter of chance. I worked on designing the IT systems for the Rabigh refinery (down the road from Yanbu) and you needed to use a car to get round the place - everything was too far from everything else. Even with piloted aircraft you get the same problems. The Dora refinery in Iraq is similarly sized covering many square kilometres and the Iranian's bombed it several times without affecting production. If one has the exact coordinates of a vital part of the plant one could do it with modern cruise missiles. The Iranians would need to get the missiles and the satellite pictures from Russia and pass them on to the Houthis - and whether they would be able to use them is a moot point.

The huge size of these refineries might make them vulnerable to terrorist attack given the many kilometres of perimeter fence one would need to guard. However this would require either a long cross desert approach or a sea borne landing they are served by a single road with check points at intervals (at least they were in my day) To get to Yanbu from the South one took the Medina road from Jeddah and after about forty miles turned of onto the Yanbu rfoad which ran through Rabigh up to Yanbu. There were checkpoints along the road. If you were on your own they didn't seem to bother but a car load would often get stopped for an ID check.
          Last edited by MarkV; 10 Jun 19, 06:27.
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

new attack ~ 30 dead

https://www.dw.com/en/iran-backed-ye...ort/a-49154184

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X