Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Four ships 'sabotaged' in the Gulf of Oman amid tensions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daud
    replied
    Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

Sasquatch being real has more credibility than this old canard of "9/11" being an "inside job".
    yep... another uss maine blown up near cuba

Leave a comment:

• OttoHarkaman
    replied

IIRC, some mines are actually torpedoes anchored on the seafloor, to be released and home on target.
    The Houthi have been using UAV in their attacks so we better get ready for anything that can happen in that region. Surprised they haven't just fixed up a boat loaded with HE and RC it alongside a tanker and set it off, modern day fire-ship.

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied

IIRC, some mines are actually torpedoes anchored on the seafloor, to be released and home on target.
    Technically ALL mines are torpedoes - what we today call torpedoes are "dirigible torpedoes" The old command by Farragut "full speed and damn the torpedoes" referred to Confederate moored mines (which being gunpowder based and made of riveted construction tended to leak and become inactive after being laid for any length of time) . Land mines were also called torpedoes - and some Confederate torpedoes still killed people in the 1960s.

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    Originally posted by Skoblin View Post

From the people who brought you the Kuwaiti hospital incubator baby story, the Iraqi mobile WMD story, the Iraqi yellow cake uranium story, the Saddam 45 minutes from a chemical and biological weapons strike against the UK story, and so on...
    Are you referring to the USA and Western Intelligence agencies?

The ones which a fellow poster here claims are always right and infallible?

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    Originally posted by OttoHarkaman View Post
    My amateur guess on these attacks is that they are small revolutionary guards boats placing satchel charges on the sides of these tankers at night. Limpet mine sounds too sophisticated for what these might actually look like? My guess is one didn't go off so they had to remove the evidence.

Gulf tanker attack: Iran has form for using clingy, covert 'limpet mines' which instantly disable vessels
    https://www.foxnews.com/world/gulf-t...isable-vessels
    Good and informative link.

A reminder, re: Iranian capabilities; most of the improved IEDs our troops encountered in Iraq were made in Iran.

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    Originally posted by Daud View Post
    I dont like the iranian regime, but this looks as a new 9/11 inside job.
    Sasquatch being real has more credibility than this old canard of "9/11" being an "inside job".

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    I am going to guess it was a mine, a torpedo attack would really escalate the situation. No telling if the RG has gone rogue on this one?

But who knows. using frogmen to plant limpet mines was pretty brash

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied
    Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post

That leads me to believe they are large shaped charges. Tankers have double-hulls these days, so they would have to blow through one sheet of steel and punch through another, and the type of warhead used to kill tanks would be ideal for causing the sort of damage we have seen.

Hang about a bit - isn't spaced armour supposed to be an antidote to shaped charges?

Leave a comment:

• Surrey
    replied
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-...-removing-mine

picture of the Iranians removing an unexploaded mine off one of the tankers.

Leave a comment:

• Daud
    replied
    I dont like the iranian regime, but this looks as a new 9/11 inside job.

Leave a comment:

• The Exorcist
    replied
    Limpet mine sounds too sophisticated for what these might actually look like? My guess is one didn't go off so they had to remove the evidence.
    You would be right about that.

As for what a Limpet mine would look like, its a real grab-bag these days. All that term means any more is a bomb (yes, similar to a satchel charge in many cases) held in place with magnets. The heavier the bomb, the heavier the magnets, so they can't be too awfully big.

That leads me to believe they are large shaped charges. Tankers have double-hulls these days, so they would have to blow through one sheet of steel and punch through another, and the type of warhead used to kill tanks would be ideal for causing the sort of damage we have seen.

If they have developed a new, light-weight type of bomb that can penetrate two sheets of 5/8ths steel separated by a foot or two of empty space, I can see why they would not want anyone else to see an intact example.

Leave a comment:

• OttoHarkaman
    replied
    My amateur guess on these attacks is that they are small revolutionary guards boats placing satchel charges on the sides of these tankers at night. Limpet mine sounds too sophisticated for what these might actually look like? My guess is one didn't go off so they had to remove the evidence.

Gulf tanker attack: Iran has form for using clingy, covert 'limpet mines' which instantly disable vessels
    https://www.foxnews.com/world/gulf-t...isable-vessels

Leave a comment:

• Snowygerry
    replied
    Such imagery is often difficult to declassify and its release appeared to show US efforts to convince the international community of Iran's culpability in Thursday's attacks.

But the Japanese ship operator said sailors on board the Kokuka Courageous saw "flying objects" just before the attack and contradicted the US military account.

Company president Yutaka Katada said he believed the flying objects seen by the sailors could have been bullets, and denied the possibility of mines or torpedoes because the damage was above the ship's waterline.

He called reports of a mine attack "false".
    Let the games begin

Leave a comment:

• Achtung Baby
    replied
    The US military has released a video it says shows Iran's Revolutionary Guard removing an unexploded limpet mine from the side of one of two oil tankers attacked in the Gulf of Oman.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-...-mine/11209948

Leave a comment:

• Snowygerry
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkV View Post
    There is no confirmation that it was a torpedo attack and torps can be fired from surface vessels anyway so his is all pure speculation
    Indeed the word seems to have disappeared from all reports except the very first, radio news here reported that US sources have images of Iranians removing some sort of "unexploded mine" from one of the tankers, don't know if anyone can confirm ?

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X