Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Four ships 'sabotaged' in the Gulf of Oman amid tensions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
    Dead center - 48 min. to line up the second attack - certainly looks like a torpedo attack if it isn't..

Belgian popular press is running with it any rate :

https://www.hln.be/nieuws/buitenland...kers~aa7766db/

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2019/06...ijk-geraakt-d/

Edit, this seems the original source :

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-mi...-idUKKCN1TE19G
    Could be a mine. Those big ships sail in very restricted and predictable lanes
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

It certainly could be, the wording suggests Wu I-Fang may have received reports from the crew, that's just speculation on my part though...

..when it was "suspected of being hit by a torpedo" around noon..
      High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

The torpedo attack has Iran's fingerprints all over it and the reason is the composition of their submarine fleet. This includes many midget submarines with a displacement of only 120 tons. They are ideal for this type of work. Now is the ideal time to use them. If I was Iranian navy I'd use the midget subs to launch attacks and then play stupid and blame Israel for staging a provocation. Midget subs may be practically impossible to catch, unless they have some kind of mechanical failure, and have to surface. Their main weakness is they are not particularly seaworthy and dangerous to operate.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
        --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
          The torpedo attack has Iran's fingerprints all over it and the reason is the composition of their submarine fleet. This includes many midget submarines with a displacement of only 120 tons. They are ideal for this type of work. Now is the ideal time to use them. If I was Iranian navy I'd use the midget subs to launch attacks and then play stupid and blame Israel for staging a provocation. Midget subs may be practically impossible to catch, unless they have some kind of mechanical failure, and have to surface. Their main weakness is they are not particularly seaworthy and dangerous to operate.
          There is no confirmation that it was a torpedo attack and torps can be fired from surface vessels anyway so his is all pure speculation

Wu I-fang, a spokesman for Taiwan's CPC Corp oil refiner, which chartered the Front Altair, said it was carrying 75,000 tonnes of naphtha and was "suspected of being hit by a torpedo", although this has not been confirmed.

Other unverified reports suggested a mine attack.

BBC
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

I am going to guess it was a mine, a torpedo attack would really escalate the situation. No telling if the RG has gone rogue on this one?

But who knows. using frogmen to plant limpet mines was pretty brash

Comment

Tankers struck near Strait of Hormuz; US blames Iran
              https://www.apnews.com/d67714ab8ac344a3b3af19cca1c20192

Comment

There have been less publicised reports of explosions on Iranian vessels and oil rigs so maybe there is some tit for tat going on or a 3rd party stirring things up.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                  There have been less publicised reports of explosions on Iranian vessels and oil rigs so maybe there is some tit for tat going on or a 3rd party stirring things up.
                  I was surprised reading "The Tanker Wars" about what was going on in the 80's better than any Chuck Norris or Rambo movies.

220px-160th_SOAR_emblem.svg.png
                  160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne)
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/160th_...ent_(Airborne)

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                    There is no confirmation that it was a torpedo attack and torps can be fired from surface vessels anyway so his is all pure speculation
                    Indeed the word seems to have disappeared from all reports except the very first, radio news here reported that US sources have images of Iranians removing some sort of "unexploded mine" from one of the tankers, don't know if anyone can confirm ?
                    High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

The US military has released a video it says shows Iran's Revolutionary Guard removing an unexploded limpet mine from the side of one of two oil tankers attacked in the Gulf of Oman.
                      https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-...-mine/11209948
                      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                      Ernest Hemingway.

In english "silence" means yelling louder than everyone else.

Comment

Such imagery is often difficult to declassify and its release appeared to show US efforts to convince the international community of Iran's culpability in Thursday's attacks.

But the Japanese ship operator said sailors on board the Kokuka Courageous saw "flying objects" just before the attack and contradicted the US military account.

Company president Yutaka Katada said he believed the flying objects seen by the sailors could have been bullets, and denied the possibility of mines or torpedoes because the damage was above the ship's waterline.

He called reports of a mine attack "false".
                        Let the games begin

Comment

My amateur guess on these attacks is that they are small revolutionary guards boats placing satchel charges on the sides of these tankers at night. Limpet mine sounds too sophisticated for what these might actually look like? My guess is one didn't go off so they had to remove the evidence.

Gulf tanker attack: Iran has form for using clingy, covert 'limpet mines' which instantly disable vessels
                          https://www.foxnews.com/world/gulf-t...isable-vessels

Comment

Originally posted by OttoHarkaman View Post
                            Limpet mine sounds too sophisticated for what these might actually look like? My guess is one didn't go off so they had to remove the evidence.
                            You would be right about that.

As for what a Limpet mine would look like, its a real grab-bag these days. All that term means any more is a bomb (yes, similar to a satchel charge in many cases) held in place with magnets. The heavier the bomb, the heavier the magnets, so they can't be too awfully big.

That leads me to believe they are large shaped charges. Tankers have double-hulls these days, so they would have to blow through one sheet of steel and punch through another, and the type of warhead used to kill tanks would be ideal for causing the sort of damage we have seen.

If they have developed a new, light-weight type of bomb that can penetrate two sheets of 5/8ths steel separated by a foot or two of empty space, I can see why they would not want anyone else to see an intact example.
                            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

I dont like the iranian regime, but this looks as a new 9/11 inside job.

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-...-removing-mine

picture of the Iranians removing an unexploaded mine off one of the tankers.
                                "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X