Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isis collected raw gold for US Military

https://www.veteranstoday.com/2019/0...aqsgold-to-us/

At the end, war was always great business.
    Isis is the greatest identity-theft operation the world have ever seen.

Good news! We get 50 tons of gold!
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Daud View Post
      https://www.veteranstoday.com/2019/0...aqsgold-to-us/

At the end, war was always great business.
      Isis is the greatest identity-theft operation the world have ever seen.
      What a garbled report. What the hell is raw gold? Whatever that meaningless phrase means I doubt that anyone was collecting it for the US Army. The region had plenty of heavily refined gold in the form of ornaments in the Gold Souks
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

What a garbled report. What the hell is raw gold? Whatever that meaningless phrase means I doubt that anyone was collecting it for the US Army. The region had plenty of heavily refined gold in the form of ornaments in the Gold Souks
        The source i.e. "Veterans Today" doesn't use the word "raw", rather it uses "gold ingots", which is refined metallic gold, roughly synonymous with gold bars or bullion.
        "I am Groot"
        - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post

The source i.e. "Veterans Today" doesn't use the word "raw", rather it uses "gold ingots", which is refined metallic gold, roughly synonymous with gold bars or bullion.
          Besides, it is' not at all unusual to transport gold out of a trouble zone- as long as it is accounted for .

The bank of Syria offered to store it, but Assad refused to release the vault combinations..
          The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

Why do you doubt ? You ll find same info on many other web sites.

I dont believe that all of isil minions understood what is happening around. For some other people its pretty obvious.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr-...=.b71c6615e385

Comment

Why do you doubt ? You ll find same info on many other web sites.

I dont believe that all of isil minions understood what is happening around. For some other people its pretty obvious.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr-...=.b71c6615e385

The WaPo isn't really a source, but his point is that what the article refers to is not 'raw gold', but in fact bullion.

But it's still good news.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

The same story appears to have been repeated across a number of journals etc. Repeating a story does not increase its credibility.

Gold is imported into the region in some quantity usually in the form of jewellery. Much is purchased by people from the sub continent working in the region and re-exported to there as an investment/contribution to a dowry, but still in the form of jewellery (ring bracelets usually). The main (and possibly the only) exporter of gold in ingot form is Saudi Arabia which has two gold mines. One to the North of Medina is the World's oldest gold mine and produces a particularly rich ore and is traditionally the mine that supplied King Solomon (and analysis of gold found in archaeological digs in Israel supports this). I've been in that mine and also watched ingots being poured. Much of its gold was (and probably still is) sold to Sweden where because of its purity it is used in dentistry. Central banks in the region will hold gold ingots and gold sovereigns ( Coins with George VIs head continued to be minted well after Queen Elizabeth came to the throne as many in the region did not like a coin with a woman's head on it).

As Salafist forms of Islam forbid jewellery it is perfectly possible that IS supporters would confiscate gold jewellery in areas occupied by them and they might well melt this down and cast it into ingots for sale to finance their activities. With the collapse of the so called caliphate it's also possible that some of this fell into US forces' hands. What I doubt is this is what it was originally collected for.
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Its not Salafist thing. JEWellery is forbidden for men generally, however, women are free to put it.

Comment

Its not Salafist thing. JEWellery is forbidden for men generally, however, women are free to put it.
                    Despite your rather silly joke the prohibition on jewellery is down to frowning on what is thought of as vanity and is strongest amongst the most puritanical (which the Salafists certainly are. Many Saudi men get round it by wearing gold cufflinks on the grounds that they are needed for practical reasons. In a similar fashion gold pens worn in the top pocket are also popular. Women are discouraged from wearing jewellery that is visible when outside the house.

Comment

A stupid rule. But hey, 50 tons of gold for us.

Comment

what about teeth?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post

what about teeth?

nope

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X