Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what was the trigger event for radical islam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

Yeah, I know it's always been a creed with low tolerances, but we went for quite a while without suicide bombers and bloody mayhem. Then we hit the 90s and events just kept building until 9/11, and we're drone-striking them, and they're killing each other.

So what ended the quiet lull this time? What got the drums beating in the brush and sent the natives upon the warpath?
    There were Islamic terrorists in the 80s. Remember the attack on the US Marines in Lebanon. Then the Iranians took the embassy in Tehran. It had been building up since Suez.

Britain and France had been keeping a lid on things throughout the c19th but with the retreat from Empire they came back again.

Leave a comment:

• 101combatvet
    replied
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    What kicked off the current wave of bloodshed?

The Soviet invasion of Afghan? The fall of the Shah? The abandonment of military actions against Israel?

What set the spark to the tinder for the fire that is consuming the Middle East and other areas? It isn't just jihad, because they're killing far more muslims than they are infidels.

So what set it off?
    Around 1988 with Obama bin Laden as the mastermind.

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Surrey View Post
    Much earlier than that. If you read Tom Holland's book on the start of Islam, there were fanatics chopping unbelievers heads off in the seventh and eighth centuries And by unbelievers I include those who believed in a different brand of Islam or were not fanatical enough. Isis were genuinely copying early Islam.
    Yeah, I know it's always been a creed with low tolerances, but we went for quite a while without suicide bombers and bloody mayhem. Then we hit the 90s and events just kept building until 9/11, and we're drone-striking them, and they're killing each other.

So what ended the quiet lull this time? What got the drums beating in the brush and sent the natives upon the warpath?

Leave a comment:

• At ease
    replied
    So what was the trigger event for radical islam?

The Koran.

Leave a comment:

• johns624
    replied
    There were problems back in the Lawrence of Arabia days according to this book, which I read several years ago.
    https://www.amazon.com/Lawrence-Arab.../dp/0307476413

Leave a comment:

• Surrey
    replied
    For more recent agitation how about the failure of the Americans to support the British and French at Suez. Up until then Britain and France had kept a lid on things but the US supported Nasser and Britain and France withdrew things gradually feel apart.

Leave a comment:

• Surrey
    replied
    Much earlier than that. If you read Tom Holland's book on the start of Islam, there were fanatics chopping unbelievers heads off in the seventh and eighth centuries And by unbelievers I include those who believed in a different brand of Islam or were not fanatical enough. Isis were genuinely copying early Islam.

Leave a comment:

• So what was the trigger event for radical islam?

What kicked off the current wave of bloodshed?

The Soviet invasion of Afghan? The fall of the Shah? The abandonment of military actions against Israel?

What set the spark to the tinder for the fire that is consuming the Middle East and other areas? It isn't just jihad, because they're killing far more muslims than they are infidels.

So what set it off?

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X