Pakistan president condemns St Valentine's Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pakistan president condemns St Valentine's Day

Pakistan's president has denounced St Valentine's Day, saying the festival has no connection with Pakistani culture and should be avoided.
    President Mamnoon Hussain told students that it was a Western tradition and conflicted with Muslim culture.
    His remarks came after a district in north-western Pakistan banned Valentine's Day celebrations.
    Valentine's Day is popular in many cities in Pakistan, but religious groups have denounced it as decadent.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35570606

Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

It's Pakistan. Won't they just haul some women out in the streets to be stoned instead then?
    The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
      It's Pakistan. Won't they just haul some women out in the streets to be stoned instead then?
      Only if the tv is broken.

Comment

I also condemn Valentine's Day!

Admit it guys, you do also!

The Paki president found himself a great excuse.........

ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
          Only if the tv is broken.
          Well if they'd stop throwing stones at the women on it.......
          "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
            Pakistan's president has denounced St Valentine's Day, saying the festival has no connection with Pakistani culture and should be avoided.
            President Mamnoon Hussain told students that it was a Western tradition and conflicted with Muslim culture.
            His remarks came after a district in north-western Pakistan banned Valentine's Day celebrations.
            Valentine's Day is popular in many cities in Pakistan, but religious groups have denounced it as decadent.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35570606

This coming from the nation of liars, thieves, and host of terrorists. Okay!
            My worst jump story:
            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
            No lie.

~
            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Islam: the cult whose faith is so weak that it cannot withstand the sight of a woman's face or a heart-shaped box of chocolates.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                Islam: the cult whose faith is so weak that it cannot withstand the sight of a woman's face or a heart-shaped box of chocolates.
                The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Actually, I kinda agree. Not that it should be banned, but it clearly is a "capitalist holiday" hell bent on monetizing relationships and has no place in Pakistani culture any more than it does in European.

In Finland we tended to celebrate, and mostly still do, this as a 'friendship day'. Nowadays the media and markets are trying to sell it as something else...and that is a problem, selling, selling, selling. Funnily enough, it's men(women only understand romance and love when it comes to shoes and branded bags) who are bringing out the fact that there is nothing romantic about being forced to be 'romantic' by buying pre-determined gifts on a pre-determined day.
                  Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
                    Actually, I kinda agree. Not that it should be banned, but it clearly is a "capitalist holiday" hell bent on monetizing relationships and has no place in Pakistani culture any more than it does in European.

In Finland we tended to celebrate, and mostly still do, this as a 'friendship day'. Nowadays the media and markets are trying to sell it as something else...and that is a problem, selling, selling, selling. Funnily enough, it's men(women only understand romance and love when it comes to shoes and branded bags) who are bringing out the fact that there is nothing romantic about being forced to be 'romantic' by buying pre-determined gifts on a pre-determined day.
                    Just how many women have you celebrated V-day with?
                    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Enough that I (and my wallet) would be happy to see it abandoned.

Or we could go the Japanese route and have another holiday later about women giving stuff to the men...

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                        Enough that I (and my wallet) would be happy to see it abandoned.

Or we could go the Japanese route and have another holiday later about women giving stuff to the men...
                        Dude your going out with the wrong women. As Capone taught me, always date a woman richer than you...
                        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

I don't celebrate V-day, with women or men. Like I said; not part of my culture.
                          Wisdom is personal

Comment

I don't celebrate it either, this time I totally confused my GF. Told her I'm abandoning it for ideological reasons as I cant participate in a pagan festival which involved feeding early Christians to the lions.She took it hook line and sinker ! even made FP posts condemning it.
                            Later when she found out the truth she was livid ! And she has 2 masters degrees lol

In neighbouring India, Valentine's Day also garners opposition, usually from Hindu conservatives who say it is alien to Indian culture and - as argued by Pakistani Muslims - contrary to traditions such as arranged marriages.
                            hmm..its like those pig /cow grease cartridges , nothing unites the extremists like hatred of a third party

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X