Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Israel to Expand Settlements

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Israel to Expand Settlements

    The Israelian goverment under Netanyahu gave the permission for 3000 dwelling-units for Jewish settlers in East Jerusalem and in the conquered Western Jordan Land as reaction to the UNO-acknoledgment of the Palestinian state as observation-member.
    The UNO-fullesembly had voted for this membership of Palastine except Germany and the USA, which states had denied such an UNO-status of Palastine.
    Last edited by GCoyote; 02 Dec 12, 15:55.

  • #2
    Originally posted by casanova View Post
    The Israelian goverment under Netanyahu gave the permission for 3000 dwelling-units for Jewish settlers in East Jerusalem and in the conquered Western Jordan Land as reaction to the UNO-acknoledgment of the Palestinian state as observation-member.
    The UNO-fullesembly had voted for this membership of Palastine except Germany and the USA, which states had denied such an UNO-status of Palastine.
    Palestians were warned there would be consequences if they pushed the vote.

    I am not in favor of the new settlements but the Palestians knew what would happen and they made a choice.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by craven View Post
      Palestians were warned there would be consequences if they pushed the vote.

      I am not in favor of the new settlements but the Palestians knew what would happen and they made a choice.
      I actusally have no objection to Israel expanding up to the ridge divide of the Juidea/amaria/Whatever, as long as land is freed up for the Palestinians inthe south golan & the Negev.

      Earl Peel in 1937 was quite prescient about what woudl be needed for a 'Jewish State'
      http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...ory/peel1.html
      The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

      Comment


      • #4
        Well, it's going to make it harder to pull off a two-state solution, so that's one step closer to an Israeli empire. It's also makes de facto annexation the more obvious, which means one step away from a sustainable Israeli democracy worth the name.

        Israel as a Jewish state has a choice between empire and democracy. Netanyahu is apparently pushing for the former, which jeopardises the latter.

        The new generation of Palestinian activists on the West Bank look like they will be pushing for civil rights and citizenship. That's harder to refuse than the demands of bomb-throwing terrorists. At least if you intend to stay a democracy. If not, it's not too difficult...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by casanova View Post
          The Israelian goverment under Netanyahu gave the permission for 3000 dwelling-units for Jewish settlers in East Jerusalem and in the conquered Western Jordan Land as reaction to the UNO-acknoledgment of the Palestinian state as observation-member.
          The UNO-fullesembly had voted for this membership of Palastine except Germany and the USA, which states had denied such an UNO-status of Palastine.
          The vote was 138 in favor, 9 against (Israel, Canada, the Czech Republic, Panama, the United States, the Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru and Palau) and 41 abstaining with Germany being one of the abstainers.

          Comment


          • #6
            The Israelis aren't creating new settlements, but are expanding the current ones.

            This is called by the Israelis "Natural Growth" of those current settlements.

            This has been a long standing Israeli policy, nothing has changed.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Roddoss72 View Post
              The Israelis aren't creating new settlements, but are expanding the current ones.

              This is called by the Israelis "Natural Growth" of those current settlements.

              This has been a long standing Israeli policy, nothing has changed.
              Well- that is the equivelent of abandoning the Fort Laramie treaties because the Souix had been' given too much land'.

              What do you fell happens to the people that 'were there'?
              The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

              Comment


              • #8
                Well, if it gets to the point where Israel agrees to withdraw from some of these settlements, I hope they don't just follow past procedure and demolish the houses.

                Because the houses they build look damn fine.



                Philip
                "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
                  Well, if it gets to the point where Israel agrees to withdraw from some of these settlements, I hope they don't just follow past procedure and demolish the houses.

                  Because the houses they build look damn fine.
                  Philip
                  What are the odds of the Israelis leaving? At the time when it seemed like it might be a possibility after all, Israel also looked disturbingly like it might be headed for its own civil war situation. And these days, a two-state solution and the Israelis buggering out look as distant as the dark side of the moon.

                  The houses should be fine. Other stuff in the situation? Maybe not...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
                    Well, if it gets to the point where Israel agrees to withdraw from some of these settlements, I hope they don't just follow past procedure and demolish the houses.

                    Because the houses they build look damn fine.



                    Philip
                    I agree. That's scorched Earth.

                    Israel continuing these settlements is the perfect opportunity for the US to detach itself from the pending Iran/Israel conflict. It's time for the US to concentrate on it's own defense. That includes no longer defending policy that is counter-intuitive to our own defense. Netanyahu is wrong. If they want to be allies of the US and not just exploit our alliance, Israel must stop settlements. Obama needs to put his foot down. I think he will.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      http://news.yahoo.com/doomsday-hill-...162433380.html

                      http://news.yahoo.com/britain-france...121639797.html

                      http://news.yahoo.com/france-uk-summ...103658316.html

                      At this rate there well never be a chance of peace in that area.
                      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                      Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                      you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Gorque View Post
                        The vote was 138 in favor, 9 against (Israel, Canada, the Czech Republic, Panama, the United States, the Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru and Palau) and 41 abstaining with Germany being one of the abstainers.
                        The Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru and Palau, always with their geopolitical machinations and agressive diplomatic moves!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Moving into another countries land, evicting the local residents, sectioning off their land from being connected to each other, fencing them in... does this not smack of what the Nazi's did to Jews in WW2?
                          The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Frtigern View Post
                            Moving into another countries land, evicting the local residents, sectioning off their land from being connected to each other, fencing them in... does this not smack of what the Nazi's did to Jews in WW2?
                            Not quite but getting there.
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                            Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                            you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Israel built the wall, the missile defence systems, has a strong military, nukes, an alliance with the US, a new major gas field was found off shore, Iraq threat is gone, Syria is slowly cut to pieces by insurgents and maybe by Western air power in the future, Palestinian "military might" is limited mostly to dumb-rockets.

                              Not much of a pressure to stop doing what you want and seek peace when it looks like you're winning.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

                                So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Today, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Today, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Today, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X