Crowds rally against Islamists in Egypt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crowds rally against Islamists in Egypt

I thought this one was interesting. The immediate problem I see is that they need tens of thousands if they hope to survive the Islamist surge to power.

A large crowd estimated to range between a few hundred to a few thousand people rallied in Cairo on Friday to protest against Islamist influence in the drafting of Egypt's new constitution. ...
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middle...742363411.html
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

A few hundred to a few thousands isn't a big crowd even in Israeli terms...

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
      A few hundred to a few thousands isn't a big crowd even in Israeli terms...
      Well, it's good to see Muslims protesting Islamism just like its good to see that some have fought to protect Coptic Christians.

But as Coyote said, they simply may not be enough to have any power over the government.
      You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

Originally posted by Crackshot View Post
        Well, it's good to see Muslims protesting Islamism just like its good to see that some have fought to protect Coptic Christians.

But as Coyote said, they simply may not be enough to have any power over the government.
        "Crowds" doesn't necessarily imply Muslims. They can be Christians or secular just as well.

Also note Obama on their signs...

Comment

"Crowds" doesn't necessarily imply Muslims. They can be Christians or secular just as well.

Also note Obama on their signs...
          I wouldn't mind a translation of that sign.

I know some Copts aren't happy with Obama because of his stance on the Muslim Brotherhood.
          You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

The point is that Egypt is allowing crowds to protest in the first place, and that even small crowds feel safe enough to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn239 View Post
              The point is that Egypt is allowing crowds to protest in the first place, and that even small crowds feel safe enough to do so.
              For now...

Comment

For now...
                Good points and a good test for how serious or not the Egyptian government is of tolerance of opposing views.

Comment

It's nice, but I hope you'll be able to say the same in a few years.
                  I am G.I. Jew

Comment

For now...
                    Can Muslims demostrate in Israel?
                    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                      ...Yes
                      I am G.I. Jew

Comment

This seems to be kind of hit and miss and determined on the fly, because one minute they are harassing Coptic Christians and the next they are allowing protests. I think it is hard to say what is going on with this, and certainly the press in the US isn't exactly keeping its hands on the pulse of what is happening there.

Comment

Peacefully? Of course. They have more rights in Israel than they do in any Muslim state.
                          A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

Please John, please! Tell me you're kidding...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X