Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel Defense Forces vs Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran

Who do you think would win?

In the blue corner you have the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) and in the red corner you have the Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran. The IDF's record wins-draws-losses are 7-0, while Iran's are 2-2-1.

Both Israel and Iran produce their own weapons but depend heavily on imported weapons. Israel has received weapons from the United States, Czechoslovakia, South Africa, Germany and France. Iran receives weapons from Russia, Belarus, North Korea, China and Armenia.

IDF has 176,500 active personnel and 445,000 reserve personnel. Iran has 545,000 active personnel and 1,800,000 reserve personnel.

Israel spends ~$14.5 billion on the military, 6.9% of GDP. Iran spends $9.174 billion, 2.7% of GDP.

Air Forces

Israeli Air Force
    Air superiority fighter
    F-15 A/B/C/D - 60
    Strike fighter
    F-15I - 25
    Multirole fighter
    F-16A/B/C/D/I - 334
    Aerial refueling
    KC-130H - 5
    KC-707 - 7
    Attack helicopter
    AH-1 - 39
    AH-64A/D - 49
    Airborne Early Warning
    G550 - 3

Iranian Air Force
    Air superiority fighter
    F-14A - 24
    MiG-29A/UB - 48
    Mirage F1 - 6
    Strike fighter
    Azarakhsh - 12
    Su-24MK - 24
    Su-25K/T/UBK/UBT - 13
    Multirole fighter
    F-7M/FT-7 - 25
    Saeqeh - 5
    F-4D/E - 65
    F-5A/B/E/F - 297
    Aerial refueling
    707-3J9C - 10
    Attack helicopter
    AH-1J - 202
    Panha 2091 "Toufan" - 45+

Air defence missile systems

IDF
    Machbet - ?
    SPYDER - ?
    Barak 1 - ?
    Barak 8 - ?
    Arrow - ?
    Iron Dome - ?

Iran
    MIM-23 Hawk - 150
    SM-1/RIM-66 - ?
    HQ-7 - ?
    S-75 - 45
    SA-5 - 10
    2K12 Kub - 8
    S-200 - 200
    Rapier - 30
    Tigercat - 15
    Pantsir-S1 - 10
    Tor missile system - 29
    S-300PT - 4
    Mersad - ?

Artillery

Israel
    Rocket
    M270 - 48
    MAR-290 - ?
    M113 Tamuz - ?
    Self-Propelled Howitzer
    M109 (155mm) - 600
    M110 (203mm) - 36
    M107 (175mm) - 70
    Towed Howitzer
    Soltam M-71 (155mm) - 300
    Soltam M-68 (155mm) - 50
    Self-Propelled Mortar
    Cardom SP (120mm) - 64
    Mortar
    Soltam M-65 (120mm) - 250

Iran
    Rocket
    Fajr-3 (240mm) - 10
    Fajr-5 (330mm) - ?
    BM-21 Grad (122mm) - 100
    Hadid/Azrash/Nur (122mm) - 50
    Self-Propelled Howitzer
    2S1 Gvozdika (122-mm) - 60
    Raad-1 (122mm) - ?
    Raad-2 (155mm) - ?
    M109 (155mm) - 180
    M-1978 (Koksan) (170mm) - 10
    M107 (175mm) - 30
    M110 (203mm) - 30
    Towed Howitzer
    M101A1 (105mm) - 130
    2A18 (122 mm) - 540
    Type-54 (122mm) - 100
    Type 59-1 (130mm) - 985
    WAC-21 - 15
    GC-45 (155mm) - 120
    M114 (155 mm) - 70
    HM 40 (122mm) - ?
    HM 41 (155mm) - 290
    Haubits FH77 (155mm) - 18
    G5 (155mm) - 50
    M1955 (152mm) - 30
    M115 (203 mm) - 20
    Multiple rocket launcher
    Type 63 multiple rocket launcher (107mm) - 700
    Mortar
    37mm, 60mm, 81mm, 120mm, 160mm

Main battle tanks

Israel
    Merkava Mark IV - 360
    Merkava Mark II - 1,180
    Merkava Mark I - 180
    Magach 6/7 (M60) - 1600
    Magach 5 (M48) - 200
    Sho't (Centurion) - 350

Iran
    Zulfiqar MBT 1-3 - 430
    Mobarez Tank - 400
    Chieftain - ~100
    T-72S - 480
    T-62 - 75
    Chonma-ho (T-62) - 150
    Type 59 (T-54A) - 220
    Type 69 (T-54A) - 200
    M60 Patton - ~150
    M48 Patton - ~150

Tomorrow I'll add the naval and ballistic missiles numbers.
    But based on this who do you think is deadliest?
    It seems Iran has Israel in the artillery department. As well as numbers of surface to air missiles. Tank wise they are close in numbers but technology, training and doctrine are probably vastly different. I just wonder how ready are Magach's and Sho't's if the need does arise to activate them. I would assume the same of Iran's older Soviet design tanks.
    Israel
    57.89%
    Iran
    7.89%
    Stalemate
    34.21%
    The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

If they had a common border and we were talking only about battles I would say Israel had the edge, but in a war without a common border I doubt either side would walk away with a clean victory.

The main difficulty for Israel to face is not simply applying its whole force against against Iran, they have to plan for other enemies that may surface as a consequence of such a war.

Obviously Israel may have the advantage in air to air but that will give them a victorious war.
    An 18th century Imagi nation blog set in England/

Comment

A conventional war would be Israel pretty easy. Especially when you consider how the IAF wiped the floor with its respective opponents in 1967 and 1982.

A guerrilla war on the other hand - I'd say Israel would come out better in such a conflict, but it would potentially be much more bloody, not to mention that the usual Islamist tactic of plains clothed insurgents hiding behind civvies means there would almost certainly be more accidental civilian casualties, which means it would, once again, suffer in a PR war (well, duh). But Israel's equipment and adoption of Western-style tactics gives it a clear advantage in any war with Iran, unless Iran has been sneaking in Western advisers and arms behind our backs.
      You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

What is the scenario and what are each sides objectives?
        "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
        G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
        Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Not to sound too religious, but Israel has God on their side...the Iranians have...well, I'm not gonna get into that so as to not offend some members of this board.

-Matt
          SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

I tell you who will win DEATH! She is the only winner in that case.

Comment

If the scenario is a border battle, conventional military forces going at each other then yes, Israel takes it.
              I'm sure the casualties would be atrocious, but without a doubt the Israeli Air Force would have complete air superiority within a relatively short time during the "war" (under the condition that Iranian air defense systems were destroyed or rendered useless, which I'm pretty sure would be one the -if not THE- main priorities of Israeli special forces who must be light years ahead of Iranian special forces).

Israeli weapons and munitions are probably much better, and far more advanced then their Iranian counterparts same goes for the average Israeli infantry division. Mostly it comes down to the quality of the soldier's themselves and history has shown that the IDF has excelled in combat every time it has been outnumbered.

Besides....the Merkava is a badass MOFO
              I am G.I. Jew

Comment

In a conventional war, the only way either country could strike at the other is by air, since they don't share a border.

Having said that, the main obstacle to carrying out any attack would be lack of aerial refuelling. Unless they have support from some of their Arab neighbours, I doubt Israel's 12 aerial tankers would be enough.
                I've also heard that Israel lacks the deep penetrating weapons to destroy the Iranian bunkers.
                Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

I'm sure they could be supplied or acquired in short time though, as with USAF tankers providing logistical support perhaps?
                  ------
                  'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Neither.

There will not be an armed conflict between the two countries and cannot be.

The only possibilities are-
                    1) War by proxy, which is already happening.
                    2) Nuclear war, which I hope will never happen.
                    3) Aerial skirmishes.

Neither of the states posses the capabilities needed to engage the other in full conventional warfare.

On a side note- the OOB is WAY off...

Comment

Something else to take into account : the average Jewish person is 10 IQ points higher than average.
                      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                        What is the scenario and what are each sides objectives?
                        Ah yes, the scenario is this; Israel requests help from the world to attack Iran like the US did back in 2003 to attack Iraq to look for suspected weapons of mass destruction. Not surprisingly, the world responds with little enthusiasm. Perhaps due to the bad taste of the recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and the little progress we've made in reducing terrorism in the region, despite the fact we've controlled international events of terror and opened up trade to a once embargoed country. Perhaps Israel just wants to trade with a non-hateful Iran?

So, with little progress in the diplomatic option, Israel sees its time is running out as Iran builds missiles with nuclear warheads to wipe Israel off the planet. So it takes preemptive action. Sending out it's strike fighters protected by its air superiority fighters and electronic warfare aircraft to destroy Iran's air force, neutralize its radar and SAM sites on the way to bombing suspected Uranium enrichment plants and storage. But before that Israel also moves it's submarines into the Persian Gulf to destroy the Iranian navy and take out radar, communications and SAM missile sites, followed by Israel's surface fleet who shows up soon after. This fleet may have with it the elite of the IDF whose sole purpose is to confirm that all nuclear production facilities are destroyed by flying at night by helo, low and fast. Use of satellite and laser targeting and close air support will be constant during these missions should the mission go south, but with only so many resources available they need to work fast and that may mean they cannot be as thorough as they want. Also Iran is a big country and so both of these factors may mean a high attrition rate to these Hebrew looking, behind the lines operators. Maybe Israel already has agents inside and units that speak Farsi who can move about without causing suspicion.

Meanwhile, Iran's objective is to defend itself at all costs by creating as much havoc on Israel and trade out of the Persian Gulf to pressure Israel to ceasefire. If not, Iran may play the diplomatic option towards all of Israel's Muslim neighbors persuading them that now is the time for the Islamic world to unite. Syria is out of the question but other Muslim countries may seize the opportunity to strike while Israel's air force is preoccupied over Iran.

Meanwhile the US and its allies in the Middle East will either have to join Israel, call for immediate ceasefire with support from China and Russia, or abandon Israel for fear of involving itself in a deadly war it doesn't really have much stake in, especially if there happen to be no nukes in Iran.
                        The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

Stalemate. Neither side has the ability, or the land access, to get to the other and defeat it entirely. I think Iran would have an advantage in the air war, however, due to their aircraft quality, numbers, and the fact that neighboring nations have friendlier airspace to Iran than Israel.

Comment

Their airframes may not last so long though when engaging more advanced Israeli fighters and SA missiles?
                            In the Falklands the Argentines lost over 30 fixed wing aircraft, Britain lost much less (I don't remember how many). If that kind of ratio were achieved by the IDF air forces, (and take into account that they would be able to bring a greater ratio of ground AA units into play) they may be better to recieve an Iranian attack. I do not know how effective the shoe would be on the other foot though, what are Iranian AA units like?
                            ------
                            'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Ricthofen View Post
                              Stalemate. Neither side has the ability, or the land access, to get to the other and defeat it entirely. I think Iran would have an advantage in the air war, however, due to their aircraft quality, numbers, and the fact that neighboring nations have friendlier airspace to Iran than Israel.
                              Iran will be squashed like a bug in every possible scenerio. No question about it.
                              "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X