Libyans storm Islamist militia base in Benghazi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libyans storm Islamist militia base in Benghazi

Several important Islamic scholars and governments have denounced the attacks against the US Consulate in Benghazi but these guys seem a bit more determined to do something about it.

BENGHAZI, Libya (Reuters) - Pro-government demonstrators stormed the headquarters of the Islamist Ansar al-Sharia militia in the Libyan city of Benghazi on Friday, aiming to evict fighters from the site, Reuters witnesses said. Ansar al-Sharia has been linked to the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi last week in which the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other Americans died. It denies involvement. ...
    http://news.yahoo.com/eight-people-a...173621608.html
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Interesting, isn't it. They've actually done more than our own government has.

The ambassador was popular in Libya and was a good friend to them. Apparently a good portion of them understand that and don't want to alienate the US.

Good for them.

Sincerely,
    M
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena
      Yup!

Though I'm actually not surprised.

I'm glad somebody actually did something proactively positive in regard.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

This is very good news.
        "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

That's pretty awesome news indeed!

Comment

Interesting development and AFAIK quite unique.
            I didn't see that one coming.

Having said that, it is good to realize the demonstrators have their own agenda,
            likely they are sick and tired of those militia's lording it over their lifes
            and of the new government not doing enough to protect them against those militias.
            I do not think they stormed the militia base just to punish the murderers of the US ambassador.
            BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

to those Libyans! Amongst the pro-American demonstrators, perhaps it's time to get a little optimistic.

Given that the Yemeni Army and militias have been fighting hard against Al-Qaeda in the Arab Peninsula, it's possible that we are seeing another Anbar Awakening - locals getting sick of Al-Qaeda and other militants and taking arms against them.

Of course, given how events after the Arab Spring have taken a bit of a downturn, one mustn't get too hopeful.
              You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

I wonder how much clout the Libyan government actually has in Benghazi. Considering reports of how heavily armed the citizens in the city are, I'm leaning to more of a collaboration of the national government with the various factions in Benghazi that required some time to form a strong enough coalition to confront Ansar al-Sharia.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorgeous George View Post
                  I wonder how much clout the Libyan government actually has in Benghazi. Considering reports of how heavily armed the citizens in the city are, I'm leaning to more of a collaboration of the national government with the various factions in Benghazi that required some time to form a strong enough coalition to confront Ansar al-Sharia.
                  Now lets sit back wait for the assassinations, indiscriminate suicide and car bombs to kick in; shouldn't take long!

Paul
                  Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 22 Sep 12, 12:22.
                  ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                  All human ills he can subdue,
                  Or with a bauble or medal
                  Can win mans heart for you;
                  And many a blessing know to stew
                  To make a megloamaniac bright;
                  Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                  The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                    What an odd observation. Of course they have. In purely practical terms it is easier for Libyans to deal with other Libyans. In political terms it is also a great deal wiser. Had calls from some in the US to start dropping bombs or taking revenge been heeded I suspect anti-American sentiment would have experienced a sharp uptick & those determined to support democracy & fight the Islamists would have struggled to get nearly as much support as they appear to have now.

Oh, and apparently there had already been something like 50 arrests before this.

The ambassador was popular in Libya and was a good friend to them. Apparently a good portion of them understand that and don't want to alienate the US.
                    Fortunately the US also made sure not to alienate them. I suspect they also have their own reasons for this - probably something like not wanting to end up a theocracy.

Good for them.
                    Agreed.
                    Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

'What an odd observation.'

Have you seen the reaction of the present administration? They were in denial that it was a terrorist attack and was preplanned. That is the observation meant by my posting. It took them ten days or so to actually admit that it was a terrorist attack, and that only happened because of testimony before Congress of one of the security people in the government, not from any action from either Obama or Clinton.

All the two of them have done is prance in place.

Sincerely,
                      M
                      We are not now that strength which in old days
                      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Indeed good for them. Might be worth remembering the number of countries actually engaged in conflicts with their own Islamists - and these conflicts go back quite some time.
                        "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                        G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                        Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Let's hope that this meme spreads...
                          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                            Indeed good for them. Might be worth remembering the number of countries actually engaged in conflicts with their own Islamists - and these conflicts go back quite some time.
                            I think we should assist them as best we can from afar and make an example of them. A good example, that is.

Show proper appreciation and hopefully others will follow their lead...
                            "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Gorgeous George View Post
                              By most accounts the central government is still quite weak and trying to sort itself out. The division of power between the regions, the tribes, and the government in Tripoli appears far from settled.
                              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X