ZZ Top in Special Forces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZZ Top in Special Forces

I've seen a number of pics showing American special forces soldiers in Afghanistan wearing those enormous beards.

Is that out of respect for the Islamic religion (pffff...yeah, especially from those dudes) or is it to look like the enemy in case the soldier is in survival mode and has to evade capture?

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Water conservation?

OTOH give him a guitar and see what kind of blues he can crank out!

Last edited by GCoyote; 25 May 10, 13:44.
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

MZ -
      Remember Caddyshack. "Be the ball."

There's quite a bit of wisdom in Ty Webb's little statement.

Comment

It's usually simply because they can.

That how it goes around here anyway...

Comment

It's for many reasons.They don't stand out as badly when with the locals,the locals respect the beard so it helps with the whole hearts and minds thing.I recall the beards becoming an issue with Generals who are less than enthusiastic about special ops.
          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Off topic....That US Special Forces Soldier was killed in Afghanistan...

RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by shark1j View Post
              Off topic....That US Special Forces Soldier was killed in Afghanistan...

RIP.
              Hi, Shark. Do you know the individual or is there a story which accompanies the photo which explains this? I was just wondering where you got your information.

Comment

I got my info on SOCNET. It is a SF/O community run by US SF/O former and current. Join up and you will not be disappointed...

The story was (from what I remember)...

That SF soldier was embedded with a ANA Commando unit (Afghan Special Forces). They were ambushed by RPGs and Mortars while in a convoy. He single handily flanked the RPGs and took them out, after he circled around and went for the Mortar teams and took those teams out too but was mortally wounded when he was shot during his assault on the Taliban, but nonetheless still managed to take out the RPG and Mortar teams. He was awarded the Silver Star for his actions I believe.

Comment

That's really too bad. Guys like these are heroes, and their fighting spirit and skills are topnotch.

We need more of them.
                  "We have no white flag."

Comment

If I remember correctly SF was allowed beards in the Stan because among Afghans you are not considered to be a "man" or warrior unless you have a beard.
                    "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                      If I remember correctly SF was allowed beards in the Stan because among Afghans you are not considered to be a "man" or warrior unless you have a beard.
                      Not sure about that but I do know that SF/O were allowed it because it "helped" them to blend in...

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                        I don't believe that's true because army regulars in the Afghan army are clean shaven most of the time. If growing a beard were important to their image as soldiers they would, under a pressure from the civilian population.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                        --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
                          I don't believe that's true because army regulars in the Afghan army are clean shaven most of the time. If growing a beard were important to their image as soldiers they would, under a pressure from the civilian population.
                          I don't think it's the regulars that they are trying to impress.
                          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                            It's for many reasons.They don't stand out as badly when with the locals,the locals respect the beard so it helps with the whole hearts and minds thing.I recall the beards becoming an issue with Generals who are less than enthusiastic about special ops.
                            Some things will never change. Went through this in Vietnam. There were all the critics who complained of our irregular dress and grooming, focusing on that rather than on the outstanding results that were pouring in from all the areas where special forces worked. It's unbelievable that these complainers still have their heads far up their behinds instead of taking into consideration the outstanding results these men are having, not to mention the considerate danger they place themselves in on every op they undertake. Same old sh!t, different decade!!!!
                            "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
                            - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X