• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report downplays Iran's missile punch

Pretty contrary to what the Iranians keep crowing about isn't it? Robert

Report downplays Iran's missile punch
    by Staff Writers
    Beirut, Lebanon (UPI) May 11, 2010
    Iran has deployed 200-300 Shehab-1 and Shehab-2 ballistic missiles that can hit the Gulf Arab states but the short-term threat Tehran's missile arsenal poses to these U.S.-allied countries and to Israel has been overstated.

That's the conclusion reached by the International Institute for Strategic Studies in London, a widely respected think tank, in a special report on Iran's missile program released Monday, although Iran has made "robust strides" in developing longer range weapons than it has at present.

"Iran's ballistic missiles could be used as a political weapon to wage a terror campaign against adversary cities," particularly in the Middle East, the report said. These would be armed with conventional high-explosive warheads.

"While such attacks might trigger fear, the expected casualties would be low -- probably less than a few hundred, even assuming that that Iran unleashed its entire ballistic missile arsenal and that the majority of the missiles penetrated missile defenses."

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Repo...punch_999.html
    For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman

On a certain level it makes sense when you consider the US has been planning to fight off waves of king fisher missles for years that if prepared before hand could errect a fair missle defense within a theatre.

How many bombs from an airplane does it take it take to do serious damage to a city and how big of bomb does the missle carry and how many.

Comment

What, the Clinton folks who left the super secret data on missile technology for the communist Chinese didn't visit Iran?
      "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Here is some more from the IISS. Robert

Iranian missiles could target W. Europe by 2014: IISS
        by Staff Writers
        London (AFP) May 10, 2010
        Iran could target western Europe with missiles by 2014, although it would take at least twice as long before they could hit the United States, experts said in a report published Monday.

Tehran is more than a decade away from developing a missile capable of reaching the US east coast, the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) said in a report on Iran's ballistic missile capabilities.

The London-based group said Iran was making "robust strides" in developing ballistic missiles "in tandem" with its efforts to expand its nuclear capabilities.

"The two programmes appear to be connected, with the aim of giving Iran the capability to deliver nuclear warheads well beyond its borders," it said.

Iran's ballistic missiles could be used to wage a terror campaign in the Middle East, it added, although its missiles are at present too inaccurate to shut down another country's critical military activities."

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Iran..._IISS_999.html
        For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman

Comment

It'll be interesting to see if the "Arab" countries allow the "Persians" to gain nuclear superiority.
          "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Iran still has a fairly primitive ballistic missile program nor is it the scale of North Korea's. I think the media eats up the propaganda too much. They'll be able to terrorize Israeli civilians for a bit but not much else at that distance, the Arab Gulf states are posed with a bigger problem though.

Comment

Originally posted by Megaharrison View Post
              Iran still has a fairly primitive ballistic missile program nor is it the scale of North Korea's. I think the media eats up the propaganda too much. They'll be able to terrorize Israeli civilians for a bit but not much else at that distance, the Arab Gulf states are posed with a bigger problem though.
              Most know what the real truth is about all the "achievements" that the Iranians are always trotting out. And that its just propaganda. Robert

Comment

I doubt they'd waste them on cities.

Oil refineries, tanker loading terminals, port facilities, desalinization plants, power plants. In other words, things they can damage with one or two hits that are hard to fix.
                Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

The primary role of Iran's SSM forces is deterrence. That is to say, their strike capability provides the potential to inflict sufficient pain that it prevents an adversary from attacking in the first place. Thus, it is defensive, in nature.

It's been a smart move to focus on MRBMs and SRBMs. They are cheaper to build, easier to maintain, easier to field and much easier to train for than strike aircraft. And they're far more survivable. So far, this deterrence force has contributed in preventing attack against Iran, even during the height of Bush/Cheney belligerency.

It's always been a stretch of the imagination to suggest that Iran is rushing headlong in the development of ICBMs, that can put Europe and the US in range. There's no need. Iran's deterrent force is best served regionally. Look at all the targets assembled in its region. And its MRBMs are within reach of its most vocal adversary to the west. That's why you see the focus of development on more efficient propulsion, guidance systems and warhead design. The Europe/continental US threat is pure hype.

I've ordered a copy of the IISS report through an agency, and hope to have it in my hands soon.

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                    Oil refineries, tanker loading terminals, port facilities, desalinization plants, power plants. In other words, things they can damage with one or two hits that are hard to fix.
                    May be hard to fix perhaps. But still nothing major and the odds of them doing it again will be drastically less after the first launch . Robert

Comment

Originally posted by علامت پیروز View Post
                      The primary role of Iran's SSM forces is deterrence.
                      BWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That is to say, their strike capability provides the potential to inflict sufficient pain that it prevents an adversary from attacking in the first place. Thus, it is defensive, in nature.
                      If Iran had no a nuke program...no one would care enough about Iran to even spit at them, much less attack them.
                      Later - Tater
                      "Why I have a greater affinity to Israel than to the Muslim world after 9/11: Watching a death-match fight on Animal Planet once, I found myself instinctively rooting for the mammal over the reptile."

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                        BWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

If Iran had no a nuke program...no one would care enough about Iran to even spit at them, much less attack them.
                        Yep. And all the lies and deceptions over the years about it sure has made anything they profess about it so believable too. . If they were forthright about their "peaceful" programs from the start and cooperated with the IAEA and UN others wouldn't have their suspicions. Robert

Comment

A Few Things...

1. Iran missile program = NK missile program. Same same. Shared hardware, shared results.

2. Iran has put a satellite in orbit.

3. Given 2. + a crude nuke = EMP capability. How good, who knows? But our IC run world couldn't be helped by that.

4. It will start a nuke arms race as well as split the ME into more hostile Sunni (Egypt, Saudi, and the small fry) vs non-Sunni (Iran, Syria, Lebanon, Turkey) camps.

5. I somehow don't see Israel allowing these things to happen without a fight; a big fight.
                          Save America!! Impeach Obama!!

Comment

Originally posted by علامت پیروز View Post
                            The primary role of Iran's SSM forces is deterrence. That is to say, their strike capability provides the potential to inflict sufficient pain that it prevents an adversary from attacking in the first place. Thus, it is defensive, in nature.

It's been a smart move to focus on MRBMs and SRBMs. They are cheaper to build, easier to maintain, easier to field and much easier to train for than strike aircraft. And they're far more survivable. So far, this deterrence force has contributed in preventing attack against Iran, even during the height of Bush/Cheney belligerency.

It's always been a stretch of the imagination to suggest that Iran is rushing headlong in the development of ICBMs, that can put Europe and the US in range. There's no need. Iran's deterrent force is best served regionally. Look at all the targets assembled in its region. And its MRBMs are within reach of its most vocal adversary to the west. That's why you see the focus of development on more efficient propulsion, guidance systems and warhead design. The Europe/continental US threat is pure hype.

I've ordered a copy of the IISS report through an agency, and hope to have it in my hands soon.
                            LOL It was not your deterence that stopped Bush Cheney it was the fact they got the intel wrong about Iraq. If they had not gone in to Iraq I am guessing your nuke sights would be hole in the ground right now. You missle systems could only be used against neutral ships so they really are not a deterance unless you are going to violate international laws again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sino Invasion View Post
                              1. Iran missile program = NK missile program. Same same. Shared hardware, shared results.

2. Iran has put a satellite in orbit.

3. Given 2. + a crude nuke = EMP capability. How good, who knows? But our IC run world couldn't be helped by that.

4. It will start a nuke arms race as well as split the ME into more hostile Sunni (Egypt, Saudi, and the small fry) vs non-Sunni (Iran, Syria, Lebanon, Turkey) camps.

5. I somehow don't see Israel allowing these things to happen without a fight; a big fight.
                              All good points. Robert

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X