X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US hits nerve, calls Russia’s most-wanted terrorist a “rebel leader”

US hits nerve, calls Russia’s most-wanted terrorist a “rebel leader”

Russian authorities are dismayed at the conspicuous absence of Doku Umarov, the architect of last month’s brutal attack on the Moscow Metro, on Washington’s annual list of terrorists.

“Doku Umarov is the name and the face of sheer evil whom Western media outlets refer to as a ‘rebel leader’, a terrorist chief in Chechnya who has claimed responsibility for Monday’s outrage in Moscow in which 39 people were murdered and over 70 injured… Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has vowed to capture the terrorist elements that perpetrated these two outrages, which together killed 66 people and wounded nearly 100.”

The article expresses the incredulity that many Russians feel today for the West’s “hypocritical stance” in the endless War on Terror. In other words, when an individual or organization dares attack the United States [read: Osama bin Laden], or the interests of the United States, then that entity is immediately branded a “terrorist.” But the same standards, critics say, do not apply for attacks that are waged against Russia or Russian interests.

“The State Department's update of its annual list of official terrorist groups is imminent, but the group that just attacked Moscow won't be on the list,” writes Josh Rogin of Foreign Policy magazine.

First, Umarov, much like the Taliban in Afghanistan, has dreams of building a sprawling Islamic state – called the Caucasus Emirate – that is based on strict Sharia Law. Needless to say, democratic principles have no place in such a world.

“Mujaheddin in the Caucasus do not fight for democracy, they fight for Sharia,” the rebel leader said in a statement broadcast over the Internet.

He also made it clear that his “rebel movement” would not be confined to Chechen borders. “Thousands of mujaheddin of the multinational Caucasus have risen to take part in Jihad,” he bragged on another occasion. “Our bases spread from Azerbaijan to Abkhazia.”

Finally, what does the United States have to gain by excluding an individual and his organization that has clearly declared war on Russia, not to mention other Western nations, including America? After all, what happened to cooperation in the War on Terror between Moscow and Washington, or does that only apply, as some observers suggest, when it is specifically US interests that are at risk?

Dmitry Babich, a political analyst from RIA Novosti news agency, believes that Washington’s reluctance to view Umarov as a terrorist derives from “an anti-Russia bias. Anyone fighting Russian ‘imperialism’, as they call it, is basically not a bad man.”
    www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Since when does rebel leader preclude terrorist? Furthermore, unless this dirtbag moves out of Russian jurisdiction, what does it matter? And in the end I bet the Russian government has done the same with some of ours, but we generally don't whine about it.

That said, I hope you guys catch him and bleed him out slow. Anyone who advocates Sharia is by definition unfit for life. No mercy should be given: Koranimals only understand and respect violent retribution.
    How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
    275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Comment

Hard to tell with the State Dept. It takes them a year to update a list you or I could manage on a spreadsheet.

OTOH it could be a not so subtle way of expressing our displeasure with Russia's lack of assistance on Iran.
      Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Typical mud throwing troll baiting post.

The US government does not declare him a "Rebel", it's some of the western media, like maybe the Enquirer?

When the official USA stance is that the dude is a 'freedom fighter' then they have a legitimate gripe. This is posted just to try to make the western democracies & especially the USA appear poorly & hypocritical. Again, bait for a troll, nothing more.

Move along, nothing to see here.
        "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

TB, you're dropping the "troll bait" line every time you seem so often inclined lately is no less trolling when something like this DOES make the western democracies & America seem hypocritical...

When the man & his group resorted to the sort of crap that went down in Moscow just recently then they have made obvious that they most certainly ARE terrorists, regardless of potential islamic motives or their gripes otherwise.

Attack the topic of the OP, not the poster if you disagree. For if you cannot, then the trolling - at least by your own definition - would seem to be as much yours as any others.

I don't buy into every point made in the OP quote, but it does seem quite hypocritical of the US to exclude the man & his organization.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Time to paraphrase (or mutilate) Shakespeare me thinks:

What's in a name? that which we call crap
            By any other name would smell as disgusting
            Scum is scum "rebel leader" or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
              but it does seem quite hypocritical of the US to exclude the man & his organization.

I don't recall the exact comments Bush made after Beslan,but basically he told the Russians not to overreact,that they should show restraint.But he said it in a way that made it sound like only the US had the right to retaliate to terrorism however we see fit and that only we know how to deal with these terrorists.

Whatever political BS exists between the US and Russia needs to take a backseat to our common enemy;islam.It's the same fight.It doesn't matter if the enemy is of Arab blood,Chechyn blood,Uighur blood,whatever.It's all the same cancer that needs to be eradicated.
              ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

It is sad, we need to stand shoulder to shoulder against this common foe. I just hope it is an error and we reconcile and move forward.We all need to cooperate wether it is the West , the Russians,the Indians Israelis,Filipinos or the countless other victims of this disease.

Comment

Terrorists are the ENEMY & they come in many stripes, not excluding some of many faiths!

To my knowledge, McVey was not of Islam...

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
                    Typical mud throwing troll baiting post.
                    Normally I'm trying to avoid tabloid-style reporting and I did notice Russia Today quoted Pravda (now a "Daily Hate" type paper with a heavy anti-Western twist). Still RT has been more or less decent source so far even if they get provocative at times. This was the only "normal" article on the subject I could find, after all. Note that I didn't make trollish comments on it, so your accusation doesn't look justified.

The US government does not declare him a "Rebel", it's some of the western media, like maybe the Enquirer?

When the official USA stance is that the dude is a 'freedom fighter' then they have a legitimate gripe. This is posted just to try to make the western democracies & especially the USA appear poorly & hypocritical. Again, bait for a troll, nothing more.
                    I'd love to get more info on this, but judging by the article it kind of looks like this. But failing to add the scumbag who organised the murder of 40 people in the Moscow metro to the terrorist list looks rather strange, doesn't it? As for hypocrisy, the Western democracies have already compromised themselves badly enough, and it's got to take them a long time and much effort to build up the trust. If they want it, of course.
                    www.histours.ru

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
                      I'd love to get more info on this, but judging by the article it kind of looks like this. But failing to add the scumbag who organised the murder of 40 people in the Moscow metro to the terrorist list looks rather strange, doesn't it?
                      Why is it America's job to keep an all inclusive list of who is/n't considered a terrorist? Can't Russia keep up with their own terrorists on their own list? Is Russia so forgetful that they need a terrorist list from the USA to remind them of who they need to worry about? IOW, this is about as pathetic a whine-fest as I have ever seen.

As for hypocrisy, the Western democracies have already compromised themselves badly enough, and it's got to take them a long time and much effort to build up the trust. If they want it, of course.
                      Having someone from Russia lecture on "trust" is in itself a hypocrisy. Trust is a two way street...and it doesn't appear on any map I have ever seen from Russia. For example, wasn't it Russia that sold their latest and greatest anti-aircraft missle system to Iran even as the US/West/UN is confronting Iran over it's nuke program? Now there is a move that is sure to generate a great deal of "trust". Tell ya what, recall your missile system from Iran and we will add your Islamofascist nut to our list. Deal?
                      Later - Tater
                      "Why I have a greater affinity to Israel than to the Muslim world after 9/11: Watching a death-match fight on Animal Planet once, I found myself instinctively rooting for the mammal over the reptile."

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                        Why is it America's job to keep an all inclusive list of who is/n't considered a terrorist? Can't Russia keep up with their own terrorists on their own list? Is Russia so forgetful that they need a terrorist list from the USA to remind them of who they need to worry about? IOW, this is about as pathetic a whine-fest as I have ever seen.
                        I couldn't care less about lists, but when the US makes them official (okay, I know very little about them and I'd like to get a more detailed and veritable source), and omits a very obvious terrorist, this does raise some questions.

Having someone from Russia lecture on "trust" is in itself a hypocrisy. Trust is a two way street...and it doesn't appear on any map I have ever seen from Russia.
                        Good start! I'd love to see you arguing with Rogozin at some NATO summit http://twitter.com/Rogozin

For example, wasn't it Russia that sold their latest and greatest anti-aircraft missle system to Iran even as the US/West/UN is confronting Iran over it's nuke program?
                        Nope, there has been some speculation on it but no official confirmations so far. The Iranians are parading dummy "S-300" vehicles, though.

Now there is a move that is sure to generate a great deal of "trust". Tell ya what, recall your missile system from Iran and we will add your Islamofascist nut to our list. Deal?
                        Oh, good, hang on, I'll call Putin and ask him about that.

Wait...

Okay, he says he's going to recognise Bin Laden as the true leader of Afghanistan and tick him off the terrorist list cause he promises to fight drug lords more efficiently. Bargaining on this issue is so much fun! They can all keep on killing people as much as they want, but political deals are political deals, of course
                        www.histours.ru

Comment

Well, since FARC/ELN are counted as terrorists by the US State Dept, and Venezuela funds, arms, and trains FARC/ELN, often on Venezuelan territory, and Russia has been making all buddy-buddy with Venezuelan strongman Hugo Chavez, perhaps it's some form of lame payback.

Nah, that doesn't make any sense. Now if the US funded Albanians who bought Chechen poppy, then that would be payback.
                          I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                            Well, since FARC/ELN are counted as terrorists by the US State Dept, and Venezuela funds, arms, and trains FARC/ELN, often on Venezuelan territory, and Russia has been making all buddy-buddy with Venezuelan strongman Hugo Chavez, perhaps it's some form of lame payback.

Nah, that doesn't make any sense. Now if the US funded Albanians who bought Chechen poppy, then that would be payback.
                            Okay, I'd love to talk about it, but only immediately after the US officially declares Chavez a terrorist and breaks diplomatic relations with Venezuela.
                            www.histours.ru

Comment

Consider the purpose of the list.

The whole point of issuing this list is to put pressure on those countries that harbor the terrorist group to either:
                              a - clean things up
                              b - let us come in and do it for them

Congress and the administration use the list as political wedge helping to justify who gets how much foreign aid, military assistance, new trade agreements, etc. In turn, our perception of who is, and is not cooperating influences which groups get put on the list. IOW a typical political hash.

None of this applies to Russia. I suppose it would make some in Russia feel better if we added their internal trouble makers to our list. Since they don't need our help or permission to hunt the dirtbag down it would be nothing more that a PR exercise to pencil him in.
                              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X