Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does the media only mention "Al-Qaeda"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does the media only mention "Al-Qaeda"?

What about other terrorist groups? Have we not heard other names at all? Idk if it's me or not but our politicians always mention Al-Qaeda this, Al-Qaeda that. What about other groups????????????????? Wtf?

It's probably because Al-Qaeda is the most profilic as it is one of the most active groups.

Comment

I'm sure there are other active groups too. I mean, is it so hard to mention a 2nd most prolific one as well then?

Comment

Because the people who watch the news are usually not smart enough to remember more than one or two names and even less would be able to keep them straight if they did.
        "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
          Because the people who watch the news are usually not smart enough to remember more than one or two names and even less would be able to keep them straight if they did.
          Nope..that ain't it...

It is because Hamas and Hezbola are the darlings of the leftist/liberal/Democrat (L/L/D) run media. The L/L/D don't consider them terrorists because they only kill mostly Jews...which is fine with the L/L/D.
          Later - Tater
          "Why I have a greater affinity to Israel than to the Muslim world after 9/11: Watching a death-match fight on Animal Planet once, I found myself instinctively rooting for the mammal over the reptile."

Comment

There's also that.
            "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
              Nope..that ain't it...

It is because Hamas and Hezbola are the darlings of the leftist/liberal/Democrat (L/L/D) run media. The L/L/D don't consider them terrorists because they only kill mostly Jews...which is fine with the L/L/D.

Wtf?

Anyways, why acknowledge more terror groups and have them appear in news articles? Terror organizations would love nothing more than media exposure to get their messages of hate across. I'm sure our security organizations know plenty about other organizations than AQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Babbadoo11M View Post
                Wtf?

Anyways, why acknowledge more terror groups and have them appear in news articles? Terror organizations would love nothing more than media exposure to get their messages of hate across. I'm sure our security organizations know plenty about other organizations than AQ.
                The L/L/D controlled media spend more time on the "threat" from the "Tea Party" (i.e., American citizens availing themselves of non-violent free speech) than they do on the dangers from any terrorist group.
                Later - Tater
                "Why I have a greater affinity to Israel than to the Muslim world after 9/11: Watching a death-match fight on Animal Planet once, I found myself instinctively rooting for the mammal over the reptile."

Comment

Originally posted by Babbadoo11M View Post
                  Wtf?

Those who work 'intelligence' know there are several groups. A lot of the media refer to Al Queda because they, like the post cited, do not have the ability to retain complex and varied interrelated organizations. There are at a minimum six active different 'terrorist' organizations in the Province I am stationed in. Trying to keep up with them all can be time consuming when a couple are of little concern. So, you have a good question about why only A Q is mentioned, basically it's because of laziness on journalist part & lack of comprehension on many people who just glance at the headlines & figure they are well informed.
                  "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Not sure how it works in the states, but here we get a solid and constant distinction between Hezbollah, Hamas, Fatah (back in the day) and Al-Qaeda.

I'm sure there are a thousand other Al-Qaeda-similar terrorist groups, but I sure agree on using Al-Qaeda as a general umbrella term for those guys. I feel no desire, capacity or need to know every single one of those organizations that I reckon run in the hundreds.

Likewise, people should know the USA have security agencies, but I don't think people (except US citizens obviously) should have to perfectly understand the distinction and functions of the FBI, ATF, USMS, etc. just like a US citizen should know Portugal has a police force, but doesn't need to know the diference between the PSP, GNR and PJ.
                    Last edited by Castro; 16 Apr 10, 05:12.

Comment

Because Al Queda is considered the bogey group that IS a threat to America itself. It carried out 9/11 so its the main man.
                      Groups like Egyptian Islamic Jihad or Hizbollah are seen as groups focusing on Israel rather than the Us homeland. So are not as relevent to news media. Al queda is the equivalent phrase to what our grandparents percieved from Nazi.

Comment

1. Because only al Qaeda has succeeded in making a major attack on US soil.
                        2. Because al Qaeda spends a lot of effort promoting themselves in the media with tapes and videos.
                        3. Because it's a short name and easy to insert in a sound bite as opposed to say, "Harakat-ul-Jihad-I-Islami Bangladesh".
                        Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

It's sort of like calling all adhesive bandages,regardless of manufacturer, "Band Aids".If you get a small cut,you don't ask for an adhesive bandage,you ask for a Band Aid.
                          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Vita View Post
                            What about other terrorist groups? Have we not heard other names at all? Idk if it's me or not but our politicians always mention Al-Qaeda this, Al-Qaeda that. What about other groups????????????????? Wtf?
                            I did a Google search on terrorism in the latest headlines and, it appears that is not the case.

ABC News Holder prefers keeping option of civilian courts for terrorism ...‎
                            Washington Post - Spencer S. Hsu - 9 hours ago

A proposal before the Senate to try all foreign terrorism suspects before military commissions would "seriously harm our national security ...

Video: Holder Defends Terror Trial, Guantanamo Decisions Before Senate PBS News Hour
                            Holder defends US criminal, military terror trials‎ - Reuters
                            Holder Picks Wrong Crowd For Defense Of Military Commissions‎ - Huffington Post (blog)
                            Atlantic Online - Main Justice
                            all 542 news articles

Reuters Special Report: US shifts gears to tackle homespun terrorism‎
                            Reuters - Nick Carey - Jeremy Pelofsky - 2 hours ago

DEARBORN, Michigan (Reuters) - At a recent congressional hearing on homespun terrorism, Indiana Representative Mark Souder tore into a little-known Los ...

Pentagon to boost ties to fight terrorism‎
                            Boston Globe - Gary Martin - 7 hours ago

WASHINGTON The Pentagon vowed yesterday to work closer with law enforcement agencies about potential terrorist threats after a study ...

Boston Globe Janet Napolitano talks terrorism at Harvard‎
                            NECN - 13 hours ago

(NECN: Scot Yount, Cambridge, Mass.) - Calling it the centerpiece of a Boston tour, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano spoke at Harvard University ...
                            Napolitano Stresses Security‎ - Harvard Crimson
                            all 79 news articles

CBC.ca Reinforce measures against nuclear terrorism‎
                            The Daily Yomiuri - 20 hours ago

In the post-Cold War world, the threat of nuclear war on a global scale has receded, while the danger of nuclear terrorism has increased. ...
                            Did we come away from the nuclear summit empty-handed?‎ - Foreign Policy
                            Terrorism: The nuclear summit's 'straw man'‎ - Asia Times Online
                            Proposal targets nuclear terrorism‎ - Los Angeles Times
                            U.S. News & World Report (blog) - The Associated Press
                            all 7340 news articles

National Post Obama walks the talk in new Muslim outreach‎
                            Salt Lake Tribune - Omar Sacirbey - 1 hour ago

While not yet finalized, the new language will target terrorism groups rather than use general terms that connect terrorism to Islam. ...
                            Separating Islam From Terrorism‎ - FrontPage Magazine
                            'There's A Grand Deception Going On': An Interview with Terrorism ...‎ - Jewish Press
                            Harassment allegation 'totally groundless'‎ - OneNewsNow
                            all 227 news articles

NY firefighters say terrorism still is a problem in US‎
                            TMD Celebrity News - 1 hour ago

Lee Ielpi lost his 29-year-old son Jonathan during the Sept. 11, 2001, World Trade Center attacks. He doesn't want the same to happen to hundreds of other ...
                            NY firefighters say terrorism still is a problem in US‎ - Enid News & Eagle
                            all 822 news articles

NSA Chief Sets Out Rules For Fighting Cyber Terrorism‎
                            WFMY News 2 - 19 hours ago

Washington, DC -- The head of the National Security Agency suggests the US should fight fire with fire if there is a cyber attack. ...

6 charged with left-wing terrorism in Greece‎
                            Las Vegas Sun - Derek Gatopoulos - 7 hours ago

Domestic far-left terrorism waned after the eradication of November 17, during a security crackdown ahead of the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens. ...

Times LIVE India, Brazil vow to fight terrorism in all forms‎
                            Oneindia - 5 hours ago

"They agreed to support the global struggle against terrorism in conformity with the principles of the UN Charter, relevant international conventions and ...
                            International effort required to fight scourge of terrorism: PM ...‎ - Thaindian.com
                            Singh Meets Lula, Discusses Bilateral, Global Issues‎ - Outlook
                            India, Brazil back each other for UN seat‎ - Little
                            http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&t...rorism&spell=1
                            Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                            Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

In many cases, the term "terrorist" is not much more than a political tool. And there are exceptions made, based on USG politics, such as that which applies to MEK (MKO).

But this question should actually be directed more concisely. For example, many times the term "Al-Qaida" is just a blanket reference for Arab Wahabi type fighters, with no direct links to OBL.

"Taliban" is even more misused, these days. There are many Taliban type fighters taking the field today in Afghanistan, that are not true Taliban. Case in point, the recent PBS documentary "Behind Taliban Lines" actually portrayed HiG fighters, not true Taliban.

What's the reason for this? Sloppy journalism in some of the cases. In others, manipulative politics out of Washington. Plain and simple, folks.
                              Last edited by علامت پیروز; 16 Apr 10, 10:52.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X