X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did he manage to do that?

Ian, you're my hero!

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...ne_Afghanistan

A British pilot got shot between the eyes as he flew his Chinook helicopter into a firefight in Afghanistan - but he still managed to land safely and rescue all 20 people on board.

From the backstory on the bird, I'd say it needs to be awarded the VC and retired to a flying museum where she'll have a staff to feed and care for her.
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
      From the backstory on the bird, I'd say it needs to be awarded the VC and retired to a flying museum where she'll have a staff to feed and care for her.
      That is one lucky bird!

I bet this pilot won't have to pay for any beers when he gets out of the hospital.

This is a great story thanks for posting.
      Beware the man of one book.
      --Thomas Aquinas

http://www.clementsmb.com

Comment

Strange things happen in battle. I can but wonder if in 30 years when these blokes are spreading this tale in a pub if they aren't called liars.
        "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

I have a friend Cpt/Maj (R) Donald T from Greensville who took a AK round between the eyes in Nam. Through the base of his nose. Fournatly it was traveling left to right and not front to back.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

It is better to be lucky than good, but in this case the pilot was both.

Comment

Another story of bravery I read this morning:

After booby-trap bombs killed two of his comrades and left four maimed and stranded in the middle of a minefield, Staff Sergeant Kim Hughes knew he had no time to consider his own safety.

The bomb disposal expert had to clear a path across the dusty open ground so the wounded could be evacuated and the dead men retrieved - and he had to do it fast.

Shunning protective clothing to save time, the 30-year-old picked his way across the field dotted with more of the booby-trap bombs.

And all the time he knew the field was being watched by the Taliban fanatics who had planted the bombs. Indeed, even as he inched nearer the injured men, bullets were flying overhead as other soldiers tried to keep the gunmen at bay.

But, keeping his cool beneath the Afghan sun, he managed to dismantle seven of the improvised explosive devices - three by simply using his hands. There was no time to place charges and retreat to a safe distance.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0iaDjDnZt
              http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html?ITO=1490

Bravo!

The British armed forces seemed to have many brave men (and women) in their ranks.

Comment

Quite some stories. Halfway surprised the cajones on these lads weren't so large as to make them too far off the ground to reach the mines.

The widow of one said, "'Oz would be really, really proud and chuffed they have achieved some appreciation for how hard they worked."

My question is, what does the word "chuffed" mean?
                "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
                  Quite some stories. Halfway surprised the cajones on these lads weren't so large as to make them too far off the ground to reach the mines.

The widow of one said, "'Oz would be really, really proud and chuffed they have achieved some appreciation for how hard they worked."

My question is, what does the word "chuffed" mean?
                  Chuffed: Pleased, happy, proud, all sort of merged into one. The full saying is "Chuffed to bits" but I dont know where it comes from apart from when I first heared it, early seventies I think, it was purely limited to the north of England but it seems to have escaped and spread.

As I understand it a small trolly is provided to all EOD operatives to haul the weight of their balls around.
                  "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
                    The British armed forces seemed to have many brave men (and women) in their ranks.
                    The Brits, for all my ragging, are the ones I fear the most. I have met many of their fighting men from Rhodesia to so called Mercs, and apart from the loony bin escapees, are frightening because if you met them in the street, you would think they couldna hurt a fly.

Also, my grandaddy was Brit and fought in Burma, so I know they were the best.

People should not be so surprised about these guys - they are all professional - Yank, Oz or Brit, not to mention the other countless nationalities.

Comment

Don't forget the Boer War Meen.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X