Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A way out of the morass: on the US' plan to pull out of Afghanistan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A way out of the morass: on the US' plan to pull out of Afghanistan

    A way out of the morass: on the US' plan to pull out of Afghanistan

    By: Chinmaya R. Gharekhan, a former Indian Ambassador to the United Nations, was also a Special Envoy for West Asia as a UN Under Secretary General.

    Hamid Ansari was the Vice-President of India (2007-17), a former Indian Ambassador to Afghanistan and a Permanent Representative to the UN


    In article published in The Hindu(Editorial page, “Another approach to Afghanistan”, December 24, 2003), we had suggested that the only way out of the morass in Afghanistan would be to re-place Afghanistan in its traditional mode of neutrality. For that, two things were essential. The Afghans themselves must declare unequivocally that they would follow strict neutrality in their relations with external powers, and the outside powers must commit themselves to respect Afghanistan’s neutrality. In other words, external powers must subscribe to a multilateral declaration not to interfere in the internal affairs of Afghanistan together with an obligation on Afghanistan not to seek outside intervention in its internal situation.

    We further put forward the idea that the agreement on the Neutrality of Laos, concluded in 1962, could provide a model for the neutralisation of Afghanistan. The present might be an appropriate time to revisit that proposal.


    https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lea...?homepage=true

  • #2
    Fat chance.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

    Comment


    • #3
      Seems a good idea to me!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Gooner View Post
        Seems a good idea to me!
        Crazy - it could never happen until Afghanistan is united under a central authority whose writ ran throughout that could declare and enforce such neutrality and that seems light years away
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MarkV View Post

          Crazy - it could never happen until Afghanistan is united under a central authority whose writ ran throughout that could declare and enforce such neutrality and that seems light years away
          the concern is that the Hazara, who reside in the alpine highlands, control the most valuable commodity- water.
          And th ePastun have not been "Kind' to put it mildly, to their Hazara betheren...
          The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

          Comment


          • #6
            Looking at the long term Afghan history rebellion, secession and civil war appears to be the national sport
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

            Comment


            • #7
              Afghanistan is suffering from big tumor called Pakistan.

              It's gut's are full of puss oozed out by neighbours Tumor.

              It desperately needs a place to drain out and get fresh breath of Air from world outside.

              Only 3 ways out.

              1) Balochistan gains Independence , so it will end the Isolation of Afghanistan .
              It will also end the hold and power of Queta Shura.

              2) India gets back control of Pak - Occupied Kashmir. It will provide uninterrupted help from India to Afghanistan.

              3) Iran becomes a great Ally of West, giving libral access to friendly countries of Afghanistan. May take the most active role in stabilising Afghanistan.

              Comment


              • #8
                About Queta Shura

                https://jamestown.org/program/the-qu...ns-leadership/

                https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetta_Shura

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by vikram72 View Post
                  Afghanistan is suffering from big tumor called Pakistan.

                  It's gut's are full of puss oozed out by neighbours Tumor.

                  It desperately needs a place to drain out and get fresh breath of Air from world outside.

                  Only 3 ways out.

                  1) Balochistan gains Independence , so it will end the Isolation of Afghanistan .
                  It will also end the hold and power of Queta Shura.

                  2) India gets back control of Pak - Occupied Kashmir. It will provide uninterrupted help from India to Afghanistan.

                  3) Iran becomes a great Ally of West, giving libral access to friendly countries of Afghanistan. May take the most active role in stabilising Afghanistan.
                  Or we just leave Afghanistan alone and let them continue their tribal conflicts, which will keep them busy.

                  Pakistan keeps Kashmir to keep India from getting too involved in matters that don't concern them, and the continuing tension serves to sell more hardware, possibly to both sides.

                  And we focus on crippling Iran's economy and supporting dissident factions while will likely result in the same sort of internal strife that has wrecked our enemies Libya and Syria.

                  It is much cheaper and effective to convince the locals to simply destroy their own nation, as we have seen in Libya and Syria.
                  Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

                    Or we just leave Afghanistan alone and let them continue their tribal conflicts, which will keep them busy.
                    Which used to be British policy for most of the Raj, the occasional departure from which usually had unfortunate consequences. However it only worked at the cost of continually patrolling the frontier and mounting punitive raids into the tribal territories as necessary. This used up much of the Indian Army's resources in peace time. I doubt if India and Pakistan would have either the will or the ability to do this.Moreover Afghan forays across the border were only for a common purpose of looting and the sport of raiding (the government in India used to get letters of complaint when the Afghans thought the British weren't 'playing' by the rules.) In today's world any territory that falls into anarchy and unrest is likely to create a bolt hole and sanctuary for international extremists (religious, political or both) and form a base for training, planning and mounting international missions. After all isn't that why the coalition went into Afghanistan in the first place?
                    Last edited by MarkV; 23 Jan 19, 07:44.
                    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      [QUOTE=Arnold J Rimmer;n5091123]

                      Or we just leave Afghanistan alone and let them continue their tribal conflicts, which will keep them busy.
                      Has been done before.
                      9/11 was the consequences.

                      Pakistan keeps Kashmir to keep India from getting too involved in matters that don't concern them, and the continuing tension serves to sell more hardware, possibly to both sides.
                      Indian leadership always treated Pakistan too gently till 1971.

                      Pakistan is in illegal possession of some part of Kashmir. Out of which it had gifted some free of cost to P.R.C

                      Pakistan dose not sells anything. Most of the time they Import.

                      We are the World, every body should be concerned about everyone.

                      And India and Iran has thousands of years History of mutual cooperation. Hardly any big conflict before 1947, we were happy neighbours.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Afghanistan was once part of Hindu / Buddhist India .
                        We lost it to Islam.

                        https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinduism_in_Afghanistan

                        https://postcard.news/the-untold-hin...f-afghanistan/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MarkV View Post

                          Which used to be British policy for most of the Raj, the occasional departure from which usually had unfortunate consequences. However it only worked at the cost of continually patrolling the frontier and mounting punitive raids into the tribal territories as necessary. This used up much of the Indian Army's resources in peace time. I doubt if India and Pakistan would have either the will or the ability to do this.Moreover Afghan forays across the border were only for a common purpose of looting and the sport of raiding (the government in India used to get letters of complaint when the Afghans thought the British weren't 'playing' by the rules.) In today's world any territory that falls into anarchy and unrest is likely to create a bolt hole and sanctuary for international extremists (religious, political or both) and form a base for training, planning and mounting international missions. After all isn't that why the coalition went into Afghanistan in the first place?

                          Correct.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Afghans were quite normal people till Soviet came.

                            use to do good business activities with India and Pakistan.

                            Loot and Plunder was part of their culture.

                            To Convince the Afghan tribes to help them in making Railway's possible till Afghan border, the British told them: " it will be fun to loot Railway's "
                            The Pashtun War Lords liked the Idea.

                            I simply love the way British handled Afghanistan most of the time Diplomatically.


                            https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22p13q

                            kindly watch this video

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by vikram72 View Post
                              [





                              And India and Iran has thousands of years History of mutual cooperation. Hardly any big conflict before 1947, we were happy neighbours.
                              Well not quite. There were Persian incursions into the Mogul empire in the 18th century one of which threatened Delhi. In the 1850s a largely Indian army was sent to the Gulf to force the Persians to desist in invading Afghanistan and two significant battles were fought near Bushire in one of which Indian cavalry broke a Persian Imperial Guard infantry square. The Persian Imperial guard was French trained and wore Napoleon I Imperial Guard style uniforms. Because it was squeezed in between the Crimean and the Great Mutiny this war often gets overlooked.
                              Last edited by MarkV; 24 Jan 19, 09:19.
                              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X