Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long will the global War on Terrorism last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long will the global War on Terrorism last?

As I see and hear it, I don't think people in general see this war for what it is. The mindset of war being fought between massive armies facing each other still exists. Yet, this has not been the case since Panama. Yes, we held a large battle line moving into Operation Iraqi Freedom, but it only existed for a very short while. The fighting seen there now, seen beforehand in Panama and Somalia, that's how terrorism will be fought. This type of combat is never over quickly. I get the idea too that people think the war on terrorism will be over when we get out of Iraq, or when we find bin Laden.
    We are not fighting an organized army that can be identified by a NATO icon on a map. It does not have easily traced supply lines, headquarters units, or uniformed soldiers. There is no on sight seperation between terrorist and civilian. And it will not be eradicated by the military forces of any nation alone.

I personally don't see an end to terrorism. As long as humans live, that is. Now, mind you, I do not want to be misunderstood as saying I don't think we should be fighting this war. On the contrary, I think every single human on this planet should have this thought foremost on their minds every day. The current physical war will end one day, I'm sure. I don't think it will happen during my lifetime, though. We have declared war on racism and drugs, for instance, and they still exist. To quote James Allen: "A man is literally what he thinks, his character being the complete sum of all his thoughts." Only here, in the character of the human soul and psyche, will the seed of terrorism ever be banished from the world. How we fight that is a whole other discussion. Or is it?
    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Well, "terrorism" is not some monolithic, faceless army. It's a bunch of very real organizations. If it's real, it can be fought, just not with conventional means.

You offer the opinion that terrorism will never be "over". Perhaps that is true for terrorism as a concept (just as war will never be eradicated). However, terror wars can and have been won.

For example, Europe is now no longer plagued by Red Brigades. Why? Their environment dried up making it impossible for them to operate.

The British won a couple of "counter-insurgency" campaigns after WW2 using conventional forces, so even the now common idea that our national armies can't fight terrorists isn't strictly true.

But if we are really talking about the current war on terrorism, it will not end until the world decides to demand (and possibly force) changes in the middle east to an environment that supports democracy and human rights. Iraq is a good start. Certainly not the end, but possibly the "end of the beginning".

Comment

The problem with terrorism may be that we think to fight it by a war. Then you think about the army, military operations... like in Afghanistan. But the fight on terrorism is most a work for the police, the security services, the secrect services... Can we speak about a war then ?

Otherwise, can terrorism have an end ? In France, during the Algerian war, there was a terrorism, made by the Algerian independentists against the colonist ("pieds noirs") in Algeria. After the end of the war there weren't any terrorism any more. But because of the links still alive between the Algerian and French societies, France was striked in 95 and 96 by Algerian Islamist terrorists (bombs in the subway).

LaPalice.
      Monsieur de La Palice est mort
      Mort devant Pavie.
      Un quart d'heure avant sa mort
      Il était encore en vie...

Comment

Terrorism will never be fully stopped. It will always be there. All it takes is for one person to start it. The reason is because terrorism is in many ways more powerful than a high tech army. It is because terrorists are colorless, genderless, ageless, and are of all nationality. It strikes from anywhere, at any time, without notice, and causes insecurity and uncertainty among the nations greatest assets, its people.

Comment

To quote James Allen: "A man is literally what he thinks, his character being the complete sum of all his thoughts."
          I disagree completely with this. No one was ever killed by a thought. It's actions that define people, not what's in their minds. (who is James Allen?)

Terrorism is a criminal act, and the main cause of crime is poverty. You don't see Bin Laden hijacking an aircraft and crashing it, he recruits some poor, despairing, ignorant soul to do it for him.

Because of the nature of human society/culture its unlikely we will ever eliminate crime or terrorism. There's always going to be somebody whose unhappy, bored or twisted(or all 3).

Personally I think we should stop dropping bombs and start dropping VCRs, toasters, washing machines, TVs, beer, potato chips, video games, prozac, romance novels, basketballs.... probably be cheaper and more effective in the long run...
          " If it be now, tis not to come: if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the readiness is all"

Comment

When will war on terrorism end?

:crazy: I agree with you, Jim. So long as people populate this planet, there will be terrorism. Just as with war, when people want something that they cannot acquire through honest and peaceful means, they will take by deception, dishonesty, war or violence.

One may ask what it is that today's terrorist (insurgent, freedom fighter, irregular, etc.) wants, what they expect to gain. For many, one of the prime motivators may be quite simple: legitimacy. On the day that the world in general says that al-Qaeda, (Hamas, FARC, Moro Islamic Front, etc.) is not a terrorist organization, but rather another organization with their own distinct agenda that they are right to pursue, even if by violent means. Next, they may seek recognition by organizations such as the UN, the EU, ASEAN or the Arab League. From there (or perhaps beforehand) they may seek recognition as as political party. With each subsequent recognition, they become more normailized, more a part of everyday life.

For these reasons, the war on terrorism will be perhaps mankind's only perpetual war. Certainly it cannot be a rational objective to kill, imprison or neutralize every terrorist and/or terrorist organization, and so the war continues, ad infinitum.
            Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
            (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Originally posted by ratster
              I disagree completely with this. No one was ever killed by a thought. It's actions that define people, not what's in their minds. (who is James Allen?)

James Allen

If you live an entire lifetime and read only a handfull of books, read everything by Tolkien. Then read everything by James Allen.

Everyone who kills does so as a willing slave to a thought. Every life saved by someone is but a result of a thought. In fact, everything that is done by a human being, from the dawn of mankind through to our twilight, has its humble beginnings in a thought.

Try to do something without thinking about it. Go ahead. Move a finger. Twitch an eyelid. Fart. You cannot do it. It's the thought that is translated into the bioelectrical spark that travels from your brain to muscle that drives all. It's the ONLY thing God gave us complete and utter control over.

Which is why it's so easy to say that terrorists will never stop terror acts until they no longer think terror thoughts. Put a gun to their head and tell them to stop? You still don't control them. The decision is made inside their brain, not yours. Granted, it may be a bad decision if the trigger is pulled, but it is solely theirs to make.

"Every man is where he is by the law of his being; the thoughts which he has built into his character have brought him there, and in the arrangement of his life there is no element of chance, but all is the result of a law which cannot err." - James Allen
              Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

Global war on terrorism

Jim Moreno wrote:

Everyone who kills does so as a willing slave to a thought. Every life saved by someone is but a result of a thought. In fact, everything that is done by a human being, from the dawn of mankind through to our twilight, has its humble beginnings in a thought.

Jim hits the proverbial nail on the head. Ratster's reasoning on this subject: (I disagree completely with this. No one was ever killed by a thought. It's actions that define people, not what's in their minds. is rather misguided. Yes, it is true that the thought itself can cause harm. However, when that thought is aired in public, whether from a podium, a billboard, a pamphlet or handout, it will serve to motivate certain of its audience, whether in support or opposition. Using Nazi Germany as an example, the 1934 book burnings, 1938's Kristallnacht, the rampages of the SA and, inevitably "The Final Solution" were not spontaneous events. They were brought about by the impassioned speeches of Hitler and other Nazi orators. About the only things that occur without thougt are basic biological functions (breathing, heartbeat, digestion, etc.) Without thought, without rhetoric and discourse to motivate mankind to action, we may all lay about in entropy.

So, while the thought itself does not commit the act, it does cause the act to be committed.

Comment

Comment

Sorry, Important correction

Jim Moreno wrote:

Jim hits the proverbial nail on the head. Ratster's reasoning on this subject: (I disagree completely with this. No one was ever killed by a thought. It's actions that define people, not what's in their minds is rather misguided. Yes, it is true that the thought itself cannot cause harm. However, when that thought is aired in public, whether from a podium, a billboard, a pamphlet or handout, it will serve to motivate certain of its audience, whether in support or opposition. Using Nazi Germany as an example, the 1934 book burnings, 1938's Kristallnacht, the rampages of the SA and, inevitably "The Final Solution" were not spontaneous events. They were brought about by the impassioned speeches of Hitler and other Nazi orators. About the only things that occur without thougt are basic biological functions (breathing, heartbeat, digestion, etc.) Without thought, without rhetoric and discourse to motivate mankind to action, we may all lay about in entropy.

So, while the thought itself does not commit the act, it does cause the act to be committed.

Comment

War On Terrorism

Terrorism caused by Poverty???? How come the 19 Hijackers on 9-11 and Bin Laden, their Pay Master comes from Upper Middle class to Upper Class families? I sorry but this "Poverty causes crime" or "Poverty Causes Terrorism" is just left wing political mythology. It is NOT supported by any evidence. I grew up around a number or criminals. They were criminals because they could and they liked the ego trip being "dangerous" gave them.

Comment

I stand by my original statements. I have violent (criminal) thoughts all the time, but I don't act on them. It is the action that is critical, without it nothing happens in the real world. Its semantics to say its the thought that kills, as opposed to the action (something my martial arts teachers would disagree with).

Terrorism caused by Poverty???? How come the 19 Hijackers on 9-11 and Bin Laden, their Pay Master comes from Upper Middle class to Upper Class families? I sorry but this "Poverty causes crime" or "Poverty Causes Terrorism" is just left wing political mythology. It is NOT supported by any evidence. I grew up around a number or criminals. They were criminals because they could and they liked the ego trip being "dangerous" gave them.
                        You didn't read my entire post (or didn't understand it). I said it was the root cause, not the only cause. To quote myself; There's always going to be somebody whose unhappy, bored or twisted(or all 3).
                        " If it be now, tis not to come: if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the readiness is all"

Comment

How long? Till the job is done.

The war on terror stems from one reason, Lack of resolve from previous administrations. We showed our weakness by not responding with an iron fist to the first wtc bombing, the U.S.S. Cole bombing, the African Embassy bombings and the Spy plane issue with China. I'm only talking about recent events not the fact that Islamic Jihad [IJO], an Iranian funded group was behind the Beruit Embassy bombing or that Bin Laden was bringing in up to 500 fighters a day into somalia from the Sudan before 3 Oct 1993. I venture to say had we acted harder on any of the aforementioned events 9/11 prob wouldn't have happned. But the piper is payed and since our sworn enemies prove capable of strapping bombs to themselves and killing us, it looks like where in it for the long haul boys. there's only two ways this play will act out: victory or a death of our way of life. Too bad I cant tell you how I really feel [job].

Jacob

Comment

Re: How long? Till the job is done.

Originally posted by Marceaux 3/75
                            The war on terror stems from one reason, Lack of resolve from previous administrations. We showed our weakness by not responding with an iron fist to the first wtc bombing, the U.S.S. Cole bombing, the African Embassy bombings and the Spy plane issue with China. I'm only talking about recent events not the fact that Islamic Jihad [IJO], an Iranian funded group was behind the Beruit Embassy bombing or that Bin Laden was bringing in up to 500 fighters a day into somalia from the Sudan before 3 Oct 1993. I venture to say had we acted harder on any of the aforementioned events 9/11 prob wouldn't have happned. But the piper is payed and since our sworn enemies prove capable of strapping bombs to themselves and killing us, it looks like where in it for the long haul boys. there's only two ways this play will act out: victory or a death of our way of life. Too bad I cant tell you how I really feel [job].

Jacob
                            How do you pack the spy plane issue with all the others ?

Do you consider the Chinese government a terrorist organization ?:terms:
                            Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Chinese government a terrorist organization?.... Well yes, if you take Tibet into account. Of course they don't have any valuable natural resources , so who cares. :P

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X