What is the War on Terror?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the War on Terror?

Iím not sure if this has been covered here before so apologies if it has but;
    The ďWar on TerrorĒ is now in full swing but does anybody actually know what that means? Who is the enemy, what are the objectives and what constitutes the ultimate victory in this war?
    The cynical side of me sees a nebulous, ill-defined enemy and a war that is not a war that can be turned on and off, as political expedience requires. Oppose foreign policy and you are not just wrong but you are a coward, a traitor who is not supporting your country in a time of war. Itís the ultimate political trump card to play and drowns out critical debate with a sea of patriotism.
    Then when things are going bad at home some good news can be plucked from the front line and all is well again.
    Iím not for a moment questioning the genuine commitment of the American servicemen and women who are putting their lives on the line or that they are fighting for the best of reasons. I just donít like the way that so many complex issues are lumped in together and there is no plan for an end game. It all seems a little too Orwellian.

Of course maybe I was just out that day and missed that class, so can anyone enlighten me on who the War on Terror is actually being fought against and when the good guys will win?
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
    validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
    "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

In my opinion, a number of nations, most of which are Muslim, have taken advantage of the anachronisms of international law to support violent action against military and civilian targets by transnationl groups using the plausible deniability of not being officialy sanctioned by said country.

Thus, a war on terror means that we are not confining the war to only those groups with whom the terrorists are directly aligned, but with those who support, arm, and harbor them. Likewise, the war is a new combination of law enforcement, diplomatic, military and intelligence actions which current law and political language does not cover well.

It is not a war that will ever be over since terrorism has been ongoing since WW2.
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginiaís Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

I suppose that a lot of people will state that when Al-Queda is reduced to a non-entity and when Iraq is rebuilt as a stable state the war will be over but I think its not that simple. Its a war I hope the West can win because its not just the US who are in this. Its the West as a whole.
      "The Eastern front is like a house of cards. If the front is broken through at one point all the rest will collapse."- General Heinz Guderian

"Oakland Raiders: Committed to Excellence"

Comment

it's a war on ... a noun..

like the war on drugs, war on dandruff, etc. it is an illogical concept. but then if it works to convince dumb and numb people... it's fair game. (and it's not my money that's wasted.. well, I do own dollars too)
        "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

Originally posted by piero1971 View Post
          it's a war on ... a noun..

like the war on drugs, war on dandruff, etc. it is an illogical concept. but then if it works to convince dumb and numb people... it's fair game. (and it's not my money that's wasted.. well, I do own dollars too)
          Hmmm. Last time I looked, a country, enemy army, The Axis, Communism, and poverty, were all nouns upon which war was declared and the countries that did so are among highest in number of Nobel prizes for actual sciences and the wealthiest in human history. Dumb money wasters.
          "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
          George Mason
          Co-author of the Second Amendment
          during Virginiaís Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

"The War on Terror" is a complete and unfortunate misnomer. Terror is only a tactic. I've made the comparison before to calling the U.S. campaign against Japan after Pearl Harbor, "The War on Naval Aviation."

The correct term for the global conflict we are now fighting is the War Against islamic Fascism (WAiF).

Comment

The Global War on Terror?
              Seems to me to be a marketing term for a war on personal freedoms. Sometimes I think I'd rather die in an explosion than be subjected to the crap and I don't even live in the USA.
              The language is telling. The 'War on Drugs' is another one that isn't going very well. But hang on...some drugs are okay...even encouraged. They're both dangerous and even kill more people per year than all the illicit drugs combined. Oh that's right...they're the ones that are taxed.
              K-ching $$$$$$$$$
              I really wonder sometimes why we put up with our 'leaders'. There's not much leadership. They take our money, pay themselves outrageous salaries and don't care if we die in the gutter. Democracy isn't what it used to be.
              Last edited by Geek44; 21 Nov 07, 17:13.
              The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
              Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
                Iím not sure if this has been covered here before so apologies if it has but;
                The ďWar on TerrorĒ is now in full swing but does anybody actually know what that means? Who is the enemy, what are the objectives and what constitutes the ultimate victory in this war?
                The cynical side of me sees a nebulous, ill-defined enemy and a war that is not a war that can be turned on and off, as political expedience requires. Oppose foreign policy and you are not just wrong but you are a coward, a traitor who is not supporting your country in a time of war. Itís the ultimate political trump card to play and drowns out critical debate with a sea of patriotism.
                Then when things are going bad at home some good news can be plucked from the front line and all is well again.
                Iím not for a moment questioning the genuine commitment of the American servicemen and women who are putting their lives on the line or that they are fighting for the best of reasons. I just donít like the way that so many complex issues are lumped in together and there is no plan for an end game. It all seems a little too Orwellian.

Of course maybe I was just out that day and missed that class, so can anyone enlighten me on who the War on Terror is actually being fought against and when the good guys will win?

You have a few problems here in getting things straight for the following reasons?

1. It is a complicated matter.
                2. People are not interested in being taught the reasons behind the scenes. They want it spoon fed to them so everything is easy to understand.
                3. The journalists are just too stupid to figure out what the reasons are behind the scenes.
                4. Though wrong it is easiest to cry 'religion' than to look at cultures, past histories, past injustices, and just the downright meanness some folks have for others.
                5. Many political nuts have their minds made up and do not wish to be bothered with the facts.
                "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by OmegaStrike View Post
                  "The War on Terror" is a complete and unfortunate misnomer. Terror is only a tactic. I've made the comparison before to calling the U.S. campaign against Japan after Pearl Harbor, "The War on Naval Aviation."

The correct term for the global conflict we are now fighting is the War Against islamic Fascism (WAiF).
                  So why is North Korea on the list?
                  While you are at it why was one of the only secular countries in the Middle East invaded while the most fascist Islamic country, Saudi Arabia, is an ally?

Itís all so open ended and ill defined that it amounts to no more than dangerous political rhetoric, rhetoric that asks young Americans to lay down their lives. I donít like it. Their grandfathers fought for a much more noble cause, even if the motivation of the current generation is just as noble.
                  "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
                    You have a few problems here in getting things straight for the following reasons?

1. It is a complicated matter.
                    2. People are not interested in being taught the reasons behind the scenes. They want it spoon fed to them so everything is easy to understand.
                    3. The journalists are just too stupid to figure out what the reasons are behind the scenes.
                    4. Though wrong it is easiest to cry 'religion' than to look at cultures, past histories, past injustices, and just the downright meanness some folks have for others.
                    5. Many political nuts have their minds made up and do not wish to be bothered with the facts.
                    Yes to all of the above.

Comment

Actually, part of the Bush administration deal with North Korea to get rid of their nuclear facilities is to take North Korea off the official lists of the states who sponsor terrorism. Now this might make diplomatic sense but is absolutely such a cock eyed notion that hopefully no one will honestly believe it.
                      "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

I don't know, I didn't compile "The List." What "list" are you talking about anyway?

While you are at it why was one of the only secular countries in the Middle East invaded while the most fascist Islamic country, Saudi Arabia, is an ally?
                        It was/is a mistake to consider Saudi Arabia a true ally. They can be useful sometimes, though.

Itís all so open ended and ill defined that it amounts to no more than dangerous political rhetoric, rhetoric that asks young Americans to lay down their lives. I donít like it. Their grandfathers fought for a much more noble cause, even if the motivation of the current generation is just as noble.
                        Well, like I said, I don't like the term, although I don't really think it's "dangerous." But I think it's moot at this point. I don't think anyone's opinion will be swayed one way or another by changing terms now.

Comment

I don't know, I didn't compile "The List." What "list" are you talking about anyway?
                          The "Axis of Evil".

I'm still not sure if George W meant that or if he just finished an X-Men comic with "The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants" in it and thought it would be cool if the bad guys had their own club as well...

Comment

The "Axis of Evil".

I'm still not sure if George W meant that or if he just finished an X-Men comic with "The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants" in it and thought it would be cool if the bad guys had their own club as well...
                            Ah, OK. But I don't see how being named a member of the "Axis of Evil" is the same as being called a terrorist entity. They could be two completely different qualities. Amirite?

Comment

Ah, OK. But I don't see how being named a member of the "Axis of Evil" is the same as being called a terrorist entity. They could be two completely different qualities. Amirite?
                              Agreed - A state may sponsor terrorism but terrorists are by nature not aligned to any one state -they'll hop into bed with whomever will further their aims.
                              "The Eastern front is like a house of cards. If the front is broken through at one point all the rest will collapse."- General Heinz Guderian

"Oakland Raiders: Committed to Excellence"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X