X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Army defends against Taliban attack at Peach River in Afghanistan

Certainly gets the blood pumping...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=138_1193486605
    Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Operating with an extreme lack of info here but as a terrain guy I see a problem with holding the "low ground" of an area but not the high ground....
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combatengineer View Post
      Operating with an extreme lack of info here but as a terrain guy I see a problem with holding the "low ground" of an area but not the high ground....
      Yeah, I kind of wondered the same thing too. Then I decided that they were trying to get the French to come join us by imitating their compound at Din Ben Phu.
      "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
        Yeah, I kind of wondered the same thing too. Then I decided that they were trying to get the French to come join us by imitating their compound at Din Ben Phu.
        I had the same thought, just could not spell the name......
        “To talk of many things:
        Of cabbages—and kings—
        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Maybe down where the road the water or both are?
          Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

I've read a while ago that small patrols are used to bait the AQ/Taliban folks into attacking them. They quickly respond with superior firepower and have been doing quite well with those tactics.

Just saw a headline today that 60 taliban were killed in an action near an insurgent controlled village.
            As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
            Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
              Maybe down where the road the water or both are?
              I've got no problem with building the FOB or Combat Outpost along the road and water, put you've got to control the high ground around it also. Based on the HESCO's in the video footage this at least a company sized outpost, you're not going to mess around with them for a simple stopping point etc.
              “To talk of many things:
              Of cabbages—and kings—
              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
                Fortunately for them, unlike at Dien Bien Phu, there weren't thousands of Artillery pieces in the Hills overlooking Peach Creek.

The thing that struck me about this video was the muzzle flashes. I have read in so many VN war books about spotting the enemy by seeing the muzzle flashes, but could only imagine that. In this Vid you can see them for real in the hills. It gave me an image to put to something I have read about many times but only imagined. Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
                  The thing that struck me about this video was the muzzle flashes. I have read in so many VN war books about spotting the enemy by seeing the muzzle flashes, but could only imagine that. In this Vid you can see them for real in the hills. It gave me an image to put to something I have read about many times but only imagined. Wow!
                  Is that what those were? I thought they were impact flashes... I'll have to re-watch the vid...
                  Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

Is that some kind of armed camp that the Americans are defending there? Looks like a reinforced wall of some kind, couldnt get a good look at it.

Boy, those US boys dont muck around , do they, good on them, give em hell!

Comment

This is what gets me. The media and the rest of the worlds attention is obsessed with what goes on Iraq but close quarter heavy engagements are occuring daily between the Taliban and NATO (US Britain Holland and Denmark) . Apparently for Britain at least its the heaviest fighting since Korea.My point is these guys are largely forgotten about when they should probably be the main focus.

Comment

Thats very true, and im glad that at least on this forum, the boys and girls over there in Afghanistan DO get recognized for the superb job that they do.

God , what a age we live in though, that you can have first hand footage of a battle, and watch it in your own loungeroom like you were there filming iot yourself! Imagine if you could have done this during WW 2 , can you imagine some of the footage you could get?

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                          This is what gets me. The media and the rest of the worlds attention is obsessed with what goes on Iraq but close quarter heavy engagements are occuring daily between the Taliban and NATO (US Britain Holland and Denmark) . Apparently for Britain at least its the heaviest fighting since Korea.My point is these guys are largely forgotten about when they should probably be the main focus.
                          If you go out of your way and look for articles in different web sites you can see what's going on in Afghanistan, but you have to search for it. So why aren't the media spending more time in Afghanistand? I'll tell you the truth. Because they do not have the nice places to stay that Iraq does and the reporters think they will get their names on the news if they are in Iraq. Purely selfish reasons on the media's part is why Afghanistan is not being covered like Iraq.
                          "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                            I have heard soldiers who are familiar with both say the level of violence is much higher in Afghanistan than Iraq. Iraq is almost all IED's anymore. The real combat is going on in Afghanistan. I also saw something on the BBC where a British soldier who had been to both said the same thing. Iraq was nothing compared to Afghanistan.

I suspect the reason we hear about Iraq almost exclusively is political. Afghanistan is seen as the justified war therefore hard to use as a political tool, whereas Iraq is seen as less justified so it makes a great political tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
                              I suspect the reason we hear about Iraq almost exclusively is political. Afghanistan is seen as the justified war therefore hard to use as a political tool, whereas Iraq is seen as less justified so it makes a great political tool.
                              I'll go along with that.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X