Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feds recommend closing Saudi school in Va.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feds recommend closing Saudi school in Va.

Our friends, the Saudis.

A private Islamic school supported by the Saudi government should be shut down until the U.S. government can ensure the school is not fostering radical Islam, a federal panel recommends.

In a report released Thursday, the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom broadly criticized what it calls a lack of religious freedom in Saudi society and promotion of religious extremism at Saudi schools.

Particular criticism is leveled at the Islamic Saudi Academy, a private school serving nearly 1,000 students in grades K-12 at two campuses in northern Virginia's Fairfax County.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071018/...audi_academy_1
    Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

First let me say I have no love for the Saudis. Any culture that treats its women as property is uncivilized as far as I am concerned. Hopefully the girls that go to these schools are exposed to enough American culture that when they become adults they can shed these shackles and begin lives of their own choice and freedom.

Now, having said that I will say this. It is a private school. Government has no business getting involved. To start with, they should not be able to do anything before the fact. If some laws have been broken after the fact that is different, but there is no suggestion that laws have been broken. To my knowlege there are no "Hate Speech" laws in place that they could have broken. We don't need this to be another Waco. If no laws have been broken the government needs to stay out of it.

As for spreading anti American ideas, if the government is really so concerned about that then it can start by looking at various tenured college professors around the country, whom the government pays the salaries for. One might argue at a public institution supported by tax payer money the government has some right to get involved. Especially since the so called "academic freedom" and tenure were originally established to keep politics out of the classroom, not protect those who bring it in.

But of course, in the name of free speach (even though with professors we are talking about captive audiences and punitive powers over students) the government is never going to go after even the people on its own payroll, so then it has no business going after a private institutions it doesn't like. .
    Last edited by Miss Saigon; 18 Oct 07, 17:41.

Comment

The key line is this one;

The commission, a creation of Congress, has no power to implement policy on its own. Instead, it makes recommendations to other agencies.

Lets guess which congress created this commission.....

International Religious Freedom Act of 1998

“The time has come,” the Walrus said,
      “To talk of many things:
      Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
      Of cabbages—and kings—
      And why the sea is boiling hot—
      And whether pigs have wings.”
      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
        Now, having said that I will say this. It is a private school. Government has no business getting involved. To start with, they should not be able to do anything before the fact. If some laws have been broken after the fact that is different, but there is no suggestion that laws have been broken. To my knowlege there are no "Hate Speech" laws in place that they could have broken. We don't need this to be another Waco. If no laws have been broken the government needs to stay out of it.
        I humbly disagree. Yes, it is a private institution and that part should be respected. BUT, (& this is a big BUT) just because it is a private corporation does not protect it from Federal statutes. You may own a cafe, but if you refuse service to a particular ethnic group, you can be shut down for violating the 1968 Civil Rights Act.

In this particular instance I can see where this school is fomenting terrorism against the USA. I would be just as strong against a White Supreamicst group having a school teaching radical prejudice teachings and advocating terrorism to get their points across.

It is not the religious schools I am against, it is what they are preaching in the name of this religion I am fearful of. It would not surprise me to hear of the terrorists on 9/11 are actually martyrs in that building.
        "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post

In this particular instance I can see where this school is fomenting terrorism against the USA.
          I do not disagree with you. I just want to make sure there are laws that cover these actions and that they have been broken. If the school is breaking the law by fomenting terrorism then by all means, close it down, send the girls to coeducational schools and cheerleader camp, and turn the place into a Taco Bell.

I don't want this to turn into some trumped up nonsense like what they did in Waco. If these people have broken the law then there should be evidence to support this and proper procedures to follow.
          Last edited by Miss Saigon; 18 Oct 07, 18:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
            I don't want this to turn into some trumped up nonsense like what they did in Waco. If these people have broken the law then there should be evidence to support this and proper procedures to follow.
            Janet Reno may be just as ugly as ever but at least she is no longer the Secretary of Justice, I think that will do away with a lot of the cause of the catastrophe in Waco.
            "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X