Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about incident with Danish unit in Musa Qaleh in 2006.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about incident with Danish unit in Musa Qaleh in 2006.

Hello!

I have a question regarding one article I read resently. It is in Danish: "35 days in Sh*t hole" in "Nyhedsavisen" newspaper.

The article is about 140 danish soldiers that during 35 days (in 2006) guarded police office in the south Afghan town Musa Qaleh (so called 'Camp Sh*t Hole').

There is an episode mentioned when a Dane was injured in the head by a sniper. The rule was that an injured was supposed to be evacuated to the hospital in Camp Bastion within an hour.
    The problem was that the Brits denied the helicopter saying that they do not want to risk a helicopter over a guy that has no hope for survival. After few hours Americans surprised the Danes by volontiraly offering their Blakhawk. The Dane actually survived but was crippled for life.

Do you think/know that this incident with denying helicopter actually took place?

Regards
    Igor
    Last edited by Egorka; 11 Oct 07, 07:08.
    Kind regards
    Igor

* My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.
    * On the question of "2 mil. rapes" by RKKA
    * Verdicts of RKKA Military Tribunals for crimes against civilians in 1945

Originally posted by Egorka View Post
    Hello!

I have a question regarding one article I read resently. It is in Danish: "35 days in Sh*t hole" in "Nyhedsavisen" newspaper.

The article is about 140 danish soldiers that during 35 days (in 2006) guarded police office in the south Afghan town Musa Qaleh (so called 'Camp Sh*t Hole').

There is an episode mentioned when a Dane was injured in the head by a sniper. The rule was that an injured was supposed to be evacuated to the hospital in Camp Bastion within an hour.
    The problem was that the Brits denied the helicopter saying that they do not want to risk a helicopter over a guy that has no hope for survival. After few hours Americans surprised the Danes by volontiraly offering their Blakhawk. The Dane actually survived but was crippled for life.

Do you think/know that this incident with denying helicopter actually took place?

Regards
    Igor
    It would be impossible to come down on one side or the other without a whole lot more details.

Yes, in Vietnam when the LZ was 'hot' the medivacs were not suppose to come in for fear of what might happen. Unfortunately those bad consequences did happen too for those brave souls that came in anyway. There were some who came in innumberable times when they should not have and saved lives. So, who was right and who was wrong? Only God in His heaven knows absolutely.
    "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Apparently it is a true story. My colleague knows a Danish officer who was there and told him about this story even before the article.
      The brits did not want to risk a choper for just one wonded. The Americans came in because of personal connection between that officer and some american officers.
      The danes were outraged by this incident.
      Kind regards
      Igor

* My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.

Comment

Originally posted by Egorka View Post
        Apparently it is a true story. My colleague knows a Danish officer who was there and told him about this story even before the article.
        The brits did not want to risk a choper for just one wonded. The Americans came in because of personal connection between that officer and some american officers.
        The danes were outraged by this incident.
        Helicopters are few, requires maintanence and have very larger and unforgiving country to cover. HELIVAC support is something that you shouldnt count on, not even in the "safe" situations. I understand the anger the danes must have felt, and I would be surprised if the brittish pilots where not just as frustrated.

There are alot of episodes from Bosnia where Swedish UN soldiers where pinned down on mountaintop OPīs by constant and harrasing Serbian direct and indirect fire. To get any supplies sent to them they after a while started to disregard reporting in the "fireing close" to make the HQ belive that their sector was resonably safe for the APCīs to traverse.
        "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Originally posted by Pergite View Post
          Helicopters are few, requires maintanence and have very larger and unforgiving country to cover. HELIVAC support is something that you shouldnt count on, not even in the "safe" situations. I understand the anger the danes must have felt, and I would be surprised if the brittish pilots where not just as frustrated.

There are alot of episodes from Bosnia where Swedish UN soldiers where pinned down on mountaintop OPīs by constant and harrasing Serbian direct and indirect fire. To get any supplies sent to them they after a while started to disregard reporting in the "fireing close" to make the HQ belive that their sector was resonably safe for the APCīs to traverse.
          Crazy stuff!!!
          Kind regards
          Igor

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X