What's happening in Chechnya?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's happening in Chechnya?

Are the islamists in Chechnya finished or are the Russians simply suppressing the release of information making it look like they've got the region under control?

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

either way, it's managed better.

where is Ivan Rapnikov for some update?
    "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

Apparently Ramzan Kadyrov is running his own little fiefdom there. Its sort of a feudal arrangement. He helps prop up Putin in return for Putin leaving him alone and letting him to what he pleases.

The islamists there are definitely put down and pose no significant threat for now (the nationalists were effectively destroyed when Maskhadov was whacked). Unfortunately I don't think the current solution is very stable or tenable in the long term. Sooner or later Kadyrov's kleptocracy will become an embarassment too big to ignore for the federal government or it will break down in one of their internal feuds.

The islamists seem to have spread their operations to a wider area in southern Russia, so it is reasonable to expect continued but sporadic terrorist acts throughout southern Russia and Moscow.

Comment

Originally posted by piero1971 View Post

To be honest, I've been sequestered away beginning my wonderful life of government service for a while, so I haven't been able to keep up to date as much as I'd like. I know on the Russian side, Putin is keen not to have to worry about Chechen terrorism, so as pp(est) says, Kadyrov is given a free reign (as long as he keeps the oil flowing). And the Chechen people are quite happy to go along with it - they largely have autonomy, and are sick of fighting.
        Now listening too;
        - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

Originally posted by piero1971 View Post

That is an unfair assessment. I don't think Chechnya crisis is managed better than Iraq. Chechnya is practically ruined economically, while Iraq is poor, yes, but in a better position to exploit its economic advantages if it can manage to stay unified. Chechnya will never be fully free, and I'm willing to bet its nationalist tendencies are merely suppressed, not eradicated, so somewhere down the road another crisis will erupt again, unlike Iraq where it is obviously a sovereign nation, already free to determine its destiny.

Furthermore, I'll wager you my life savings if media were wholly focused on Chechn conflict, it will turn for worse and uglier if Russians screw up things badly for all public to take notice. Russia can suppress the media, but it will never live down the sharp criticisms and ruin its image for good in the beholding eyes of many nations on the international stage. The Western world was horrified at how Russia managed its hostage crisis where dozens of hostages died and who can forget the mishandling of Russians in Belasu crisis? 300 kids died. If that happened in America, virtually all Republicans or Democrats, whosoever's in the control of Congress and White House, would be voted out quickly. That would be something that makes Republican Revolution of 1994 pale in comparsion.

So in my humble opinion, in Chechen conflict, there are definitely NO good guys, period. While in Iraq, there ARE good guys...that's us, Americans and some Iraqis doing some good, hard work in rebuilding Iraq's civilian infrastructure. Iraq is thankful to have America helping her, while Chechens aren't really thankful of Russia looking over their shoulders to keep them in line. So, how can you really claim Chechnya conflict is managed better? Please.

Dan
          Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Dan, he meant better managed than it has been in the past. You know, when Groznyy was flattened, and the russians ran filtration camps, before handing it to guys like Gantemirov, right before they arrested him for fraud?

It has nothing to do with Iraq, or the US's conduct there. Stop being so damned defensive.
            Now listening too;
            - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Rapkinov View Post
              Dan, he meant better managed than it has been in the past. You know, when Groznyy was flattened, and the russians ran filtration camps, before handing it to guys like Gantemirov, right before they arrested him for fraud?

It has nothing to do with Iraq, or the US's conduct there. Stop being so damned defensive.
              What's wrong with my proud defense of America and her conduct in Iraq? Regardless of what Piero meant in his post, I honestly don't think Russia is now doing a better job of managing Chechnya. Like I said, somewhere down the road, it WILL explode again.

Dan
              Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
                What's wrong with my proud defense of America and her conduct in Iraq? Regardless of what Piero meant in his post, I honestly don't think Russia is now doing a better job of managing Chechnya. Like I said, somewhere down the road, it WILL explode again.

Dan
                Nobody even mentioned Iraq. Talk about a bloody victim complex...
                Colonel Summers' widely quoted critique of US strategy in the Vietnam War is having a modest vogue...it is poor history, poor strategy, and poor Clausewitz to boot - Robet Komer, Survival, 27:2, p. 94.

Comment

1996 - war
                  2007 - no war

it IS managed better.

uh? Iraq?
                  "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X