So the bastard is alive...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So the bastard is alive...

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- An audio tape that U.S. government and coalition officials said Wednesday is almost certainly the voice of Osama bin Laden indicates that the terrorist leader may still be alive and warns of future attacks against U.S. targets.

The message, broadcast Tuesday by the Arabic language news network Al-Jazeera based in Qatar, praises terror attacks in Yemen, Kuwait, Bali and Moscow as a response "to how the Muslims have been treated" and warns U.S. allies, "Just like you kill us, we will kill you."

CNN Correspondent Mike Boettcher said the tape bares an ominous message. "Nowhere in the tape does he speak to his followers," Boettcher said. "This is a direct threat. And bin Laden is a person who carries through with his threats. That is his past history. And around the world there are many soft economic targets."

The tape's emergence follows an October statement by CIA Director George Tenet that "al Qaeda has reorganized since U.S. attacks in Afghanistan last year and "you must make the assumption that al Qaeda is in an execution phase and intends to strike us here and overseas."

The tape appears to provide proof that bin Laden was alive very recently -- because it makes references to recent terror attacks. The latest of the named attacks, the deadly hostage-taking in a Moscow movie theater by Chechen rebels, occurred on October 23, exactly three weeks ago.

"The killings of Germans in Tunisia and French in Karachi and the bombing of the U.S. tanker in Yemen and the killing of the Marines in Failaka and the killings of the British and Australians in Bali and the latest Moscow operation are just some of the attacks here and there, and they're only a reaction to how the Muslims have been treated in response to what God had ordered them," the tape says.

U.S. government and coalition officials say there is no indication that the tape has been altered and that they believe the tape is about two and a half weeks old. (More on analyzing tape)

The commander in charge of U.S. military operations in Afghanistan, Gen. Tommy Franks, was asked Tuesday whether bin Laden was alive.

"I've said to many, many people that I have seen no evidence that he has been killed, and therefore I assume that he was alive. On the other hand, I've seen no evidence that he is alive," Franks said in a speech in Coral Cables Florida.

Franks said he tells people the same thing he tells his granddaughter when she asks in bin Laden is still alive: "I don't know. But if he's alive, we'll certainly get him. This much I can tell you, he's having a bad year."

Coalition intelligence officials have been telling CNN's Boettcher for months they believe bin Laden is alive and hiding somewhere along the Afghanistan-Pakistan border. In past tapes, Boettcher reported, bin Laden has addressed his messages to his followers. This time the message is aimed at those described as allies of "the oppressive U.S. government."

A tape said to contain the voice of bin Laden's second-in-command, Dr. Ayman Al-Zawahiri, was delivered on October 8 to London-based APTN television.

The voice on the tape said that "neither America nor its allies have been able to harm the leadership of al Qaeda and the Taliban, including Mullah Mohammed Omar and Sheikh Osama bin Laden. They are both in good health, along with all of the sincere mujahedeen, directing the battle against the American crusader assault on Afghanistan."

CNN terrorism expert Peter Bergen, one of the few Western journalists ever to meet bin Laden, said he was "98 percent sure" the tape is authentic and said it could indicate "a second phase in the war on terrorism, where we're going to see a lot of attacks on American economic targets."

Bergen said if this tape is authentic, it means the Al-Zawahiri recording is also authentic.

"This is not rhetoric. This is for real," said Bergen.

He can't hide forever and still try to run his organization. We can afford to hit and miss, he can't miss once. It's only a matter of time before a small mistake or pure luck gives him away. There is always a trail, however faint, that will lead back to him. Sooner or later we'll have his head on a pike.
    Editor-in-Chief
    GameSquad.com

I sincerely hope so.

F'ing Bastard.

"When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

There never was any proof that he had been killed, so why would anyone think he was dead in the first place?

Sooner or later we'll have his head on a pike.
      The sooner the better!

Comment

why dont we invistigate the Al Jeizerra boys, they seem to have sources. But maybe we can have a TV game show-when we catch him- that instead of monetary prizes the contestants inflict massive trauma to Bin Laden. An there could be army of one commericials every break. ohh yeah, a starbucks on every corner. what would be more perfect than that?
        Doesn't read Al Franken, can't watch Al Jazeera, will attack dumbasses. Anyone but Rumsfeld '04.

Comment

Originally posted by Twoblade
          There never was any proof that he had been killed, so why would anyone think he was dead in the first place?
          Actually, there was indications that Bin Laden was dead or at least very ill. Some video released earlier this year showed a rather pale, small, and apparently weak Bin Laden. I'm also certain there was intelligence that he'd been killed in air strikes. (phone calls, interrogation of Al-Qaeda prisoners, etc.)

Officially, the Bush Administration never pushed the argument either way. While they never said he was still alive, officials never dismissed speculation that Bin Laden was dead. Even now, some people believe the video and audio is a fake created with computers.

The best position we can take is to assume OBL is alive until concrete proof surface concluding otherwise. Hunting down one man is not easy. Intelligence wise, you must know where he is going to be. That way you can intercept him. This can be difficult with anyone. It becomes borderline impossible with an experienced, longtime paranoid, individual who knows he is wanted.

Bin Laden is getting a test of hell. He's played the hiding game since going the Mujhadeen in the early 1980's. The difference between then and now is he has fewer friends, many more enemies, and is older. Many terrorist organizations are led by rational, but ruthless politicians. They know harboring Bin Laden would be a death sentence for their organizations. The gloves are likely off in this manhunt. The political environment will tolerate what usually would be considered an embarassment. (Like discovering a covert raid by US forces on somebody's turf without permission.)

It took Mossad 13yrs to hunt down all the terrorists responsible for planning the Munich raid. The American people should be prepared to support a similar long term campaign. As long as we don't forget 9/11, Bin Laden will be hunted like punk he is. As Maddog stated, we can afford mistakes. He can't. Living perfectly is hell within itself. Bin Laden sleeps with one eye open, questions his food, wonder if the woman by his side has betrayed him, fear his friends, is very isolated, and knows at any moment the end can come. While Bin Laden might portray strength, etc for the camera, it is really an illusion. No man can go through what he and not suffer serious adverse effects. Sleep doesn't mean rest for Bin Laden. At some point, his eyes will get too tired to concentrate. Who knows, he might just make a mistake intentionally to end it all. Death is better than what he's going through, or so Bin Laden might think.

LOL Headshot! The game can be called "Name that Injury."

Bin Laden already thought about the news agency being investigated. While there has to be a reason he trust them, I doubt they have any useful evidence. Their office probably has more bugs in it than a Miscrosoft program.
          Last edited by Deltapooh; 13 Nov 02, 21:05.
          "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Actually, the game is called "The Running Man." And the reward is 25 million dollars...
            Editor-in-Chief
            GameSquad.com

Comment

Couldn't we send.....

Hello,

Can't we send Barney the Dino, I know Saddam and OBL would love to have him, nobody can bore him to death like Barney the Dino, or how about the dear Telebubbies? I'm sure Saddam and OBL would be thrilled to have them...hehe.

Anyway, couldn't we kidnap both Saddam or OBL's family or something...hey, their families are no Brady Bunch families, and it would at leas satisfy my thrist for revenge....

Dan
              Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

lol

Comment

Re: Couldn't we send.....

Originally posted by Cheetah772
                  Hello,

Can't we send Barney the Dino, I know Saddam and OBL would love to have him, nobody can bore him to death like Barney the Dino, or how about the dear Telebubbies? I'm sure Saddam and OBL would be thrilled to have them...hehe.
                  Dan
                  Well OBL is a fan of Seame Street so I asume he has a sweet spot for Barney and the Telebubbies as well. Of course Barney might get one to the head if tries to sing that freaking "I love you, you love me song."

As for kidnapping the families of the terrorist, that would be seen as an act of terrorism, thus illegal. However, as you stated both families are corrupt. Saddam's sons are "Tier One" personnel so to speak. One even has the authority to release chemical/biological weapons in the event of invasion and his father's death. Bin Laden's son is also a high level assistant to his father and body guard. He reportedly has orders to shoot OBL in the head if it looks like he's about to be captured. Their level of involvement with the acts of their relatives make them co-conspirators as well, thus fair game.

Kidnapping these guy's relatives will not encourage surrender. OBL would probably just kidnap high-level officials and their families.
                  "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Re: Couldn't we send.....

Originally posted by Cheetah772
                    Hello,

Wouldn't this violate some part of the Geneva Convection?
                    "Lord... forgive me my actions, speech and thoughts. Because, Lord, I am seriously going to kick some unrighteous ass in Your Name, Amen."
                    Princess of Wands by John Ringo (Jan 2006)

http://www.baen.com/chapters/W200601...9232.htm?blurb

Comment

noo barney is a WMD, as he well should be. We should drop rosie O donnel on iraq. theres a bunker buster.
                      Doesn't read Al Franken, can't watch Al Jazeera, will attack dumbasses. Anyone but Rumsfeld '04.

Comment

Elmo ownz OBL!

Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

oh man that is friggin awesome

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X