X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temujin
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDog
    Temujin my point is I seriously doubt the Arabs would even consider going into Iraq. Iraq does need some force in place until it gets capable of handling its afarirs for itself. So if the Arabs are out what does that leave us? The UN? Yeah right, as soon as things got a little hot they tucked tail and ran. I am not a big fan of the UN. Not because I see them undermining America's empire building or whatever but based on their track record which is at best dismal. So that basically leaves things as they stand today.

My personal opinion is that even if the US and her Allies packed up and left today the fighting would not stop. Yes it would subside some but I suspect people like Sadr would find another excuse for their actions.
    Personally, i think the fighting would be worse as the power vacum opens up the floodgates to everyone to stake a claim to power.

I think you would need to get different religious factions from other arab nations to look after their own in Iraq, that would be the only way to settle things down in the shortrun, but in the long run they would probably just add to the different sect and cultural tension already apparent. Also arabs fight arabs all the time they always have, the decision not to take the fight to Iraq the first time round was probably more political than anything to do with brotherhood.

Leave a comment:

• BigDog
    replied
    Temujin my point is I seriously doubt the Arabs would even consider going into Iraq. Iraq does need some force in place until it gets capable of handling its afarirs for itself. So if the Arabs are out what does that leave us? The UN? Yeah right, as soon as things got a little hot they tucked tail and ran. I am not a big fan of the UN. Not because I see them undermining America's empire building or whatever but based on their track record which is at best dismal. So that basically leaves things as they stand today.

My personal opinion is that even if the US and her Allies packed up and left today the fighting would not stop. Yes it would subside some but I suspect people like Sadr would find another excuse for their actions.

Leave a comment:

• Temujin
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDog
    I doubt that would even be posible. During Desert Storm the Arab members of the Coalition would only go as far as fighting in Kuait but would not cross into Iraq itself. This was due to the Arab sense of brotherhood.
    Yeah wouldn't want arabs to go to Iraq and the fighting to stop now would we?

Leave a comment:

• BigDog
    replied
    I doubt that would even be posible. During Desert Storm the Arab members of the Coalition would only go as far as fighting in Kuait but would not cross into Iraq itself. This was due to the Arab sense of brotherhood.

Leave a comment:

• jlbetin
    replied
    Originally posted by laszlo.nemedi
    I just read the news Schroeder proposed the same solution (Arab peacekeepers to Iraq). Maybe he reads the WHQ...
    No I think this more related to our European way of thinking.
    A less imperialistic way of seing world, as we are not the 1st and more powerfull country of the world (we have just to wait for a few years now ).
    Because we have been deeply hurted by the last 2 WW.

A way of thinking describe by some gentlemen here as "coward peace keeper at all cost".

Der WanderPeaceLover

Leave a comment:

• laszlo.nemedi
    replied
    Originally posted by laszlo.nemedi
    I agree international involvement cannot solve the terrorism in the world, but at least don't change their criminal act to Islamist Jihad.
    There is a lot of conflicts in this situation
    (Iraqis - non Iraqis, Arabs-Christians, democracy fighters-tyranny, Iraqi nations against each other, Iraq-Iran, ex-occupiers(Brits)-freedom fighters, economic reasons, etc...), and the strongest is the religious conflict. And for this conflict there is no resolution in short and long term (see Israel-Arabs, Ireland).
    To pull out this conflict US should involve a lot of Arabs in the peacemaking, and should not worry if they are from outside or from inside, but they are needed now.
    Fight against terror is a second to this conflict as so much Arabs live in the world but very few terrorists. If this war becoming a religious war, when most of these Arabs will do things or help anyone to destroy the Western world.
    I just read the news Schroeder proposed the same solution (Arab peacekeepers to Iraq). Maybe he reads the WHQ...

Leave a comment:

• Prester John
    replied
    Maybe you are thinking of the punishment of being hung, drawn and quartered, as the western equivalent?

On a separate note from Hizbollah, which has condemned the execution:
    The Syrian-backed group, which the United States deems "terrorist", said the executors' behaviour was closer to "the Pentagon school - the school of killing and occupation and crimes and torture and immoral practices that were exposed by the great scandal in occupation prisons."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1107098.htm

This is just not going to go away, and I hope strategists are planning accordingly.

Leave a comment:

• CPangracs
    replied
    Originally posted by Heinz57

The cultural difference is very extreme, ...
    *RANT MODE ON*

I'm to the point now where I think the statement that these terrorist have any kind of culture at all is wholly debatable. The fact that anyone can SAW someone's head off as they lay there screaming tells me these cretins are beyond rehabilitation and should be given exactly what they got, but 10x worse.

Yeah, that's right,...I'm proposing, if found, every one of those spineless pond scum have a surgical partial beheading without anesthetic and while still maintaining the important organs and structures (spinal cord, esophagus, trachea, and the carotid arteries and veins) and they are straped immobile. Leave the wound open and introduce some maggots. Leave them for a few days and, voila,...retribution.

Sounds pretty cruel and sick, right? See, the difference is, I could never really DO something like that, but I'm sure if those inbred goat-humpers would do it given a few trillion more brain cells.

*RANT MODE OFF*

Okay, now, more seriously, this is exactly what the US needed to prove one important point. Soldiers may have mistreated a FEW Iraqi prisoners,...but none were brutally beheaded for no reason other than being an American, and possibly, a Jew. However, I doubt very much those terrorists even knew what nationality he was.

The Muslim community now realizes that we are not barbarians like these extremists.

Leave a comment:

• Heinz57
    replied
    Originally posted by MonsterZero
    One thing I though about: it took 6 armed Arab militans to kill a single American with his hands tied behind his back. No wonder our notorious prison guard woman was pointing at their dicks and laughing.
    I have to admit that is funny. I also freely admit to being warped. When it comes to disciplining criminals in the Arab world, we as westerners... Americans, are at a distinct disadvantage.

It is worthwhile to consider that a Saudi Princess in the late 70's or early 80's was stoned to death...for adultery. Arab women who are raped, by anyone - nationality's not a matter, are effectively given a death sentence in many areas of the Middle East. Not sure how it is now, but in the 1980's, Saudi Arabia practiced public beheadings of criminals, cut off the right hand of thieves, and so forth. Under the US, this may be bad by Western Standards, but certainly under Saddam, these things and worse were practiced, without complaints.

The cultural difference is very extreme, and I think those in the Middle East understand the West far better than we understand them.

Leave a comment:

• jthomas
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeJ
    If you call that thinking, you're in trouble.
    I've gotta say I'm kind of like MZ. Seeing this video took me to my DARK PLACE. I can imagine all kinds of wonderful, hateful forms of retribution against these SOB's. Unlike these bastard al-Quaeda monsters, I will sit and think about the consequences and the human cost for a while. Hopefully, I will emerge in a day or so, and be able to see the broader perspective of America's Purpose, like Don says.

So right now I'm feeling pretty hateful, so that's all I'm going to say for now.

Leave a comment:

• MonsterZero
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeJ

Leave a comment:

• MikeJ
    replied
    Originally posted by MonsterZero
    One thing I though about: it took 6 armed Arab militans to kill a single American with his hands tied behind his back. No wonder our notorious prison guard woman was pointing at their dicks and laughing.

Leave a comment:

• MonsterZero
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Priest
    replied
    I would agree with you James the average Iraqi must be getting tired of the seemingly non-stop carnage. They probibly don't care why it's happening they just see it as getting further out of control and impacting innocent people.

Leave a comment:

• JAMiAM
    replied
    For all of you who are blinded by hate for Islam, here's something to hopefully take the hood off of your collective heads...

Iraqis Shocked by Beheading, Despair Over Violence
    By Ghaith Abdul-Ahad

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Most Baghdad residents on Wednesday condemned al Qaeda's beheading of a U.S. civilian in Iraq, but many said his death was just the latest atrocity in a cycle of violence that is driving them to despair.

A Web site video showed a masked man cutting off the head of Nick Berg, a 26-year-old civilian, and said al Qaeda's leader in Iraq had personally carried out the killing in revenge for abuses against Iraqi prisoners.

Berg went missing last month when dozens of foreigners were seized by guerrillas after Marines launched a crackdown in the city of Falluja. The Marine operation followed the killing and grisly mutilation of four U.S. security guards in the city.

"The Americans killed hundreds in Falluja in retaliation for the mutilation of the four Americans and now those people are killing an American in retaliation for the torture of prisoners," said Arkan Mohammad, a cleric at Baghdad University.

"Someone has to do something to stop the cycle of violence from going on and on."

Even in the Baghdad Sunni Muslim stronghold of Adhamiya, where there is fierce opposition to the occupation, many residents were appalled by the decapitation of Berg.

"We denounce this act. No-one can accept the killing of another human being in this horrible way," said Yassir Saleh, a 30-year-old barber. But he too pointed to a tide of violence that has swept the country since the fall of Saddam Hussein.

"Sometimes I really can't understand the logic of what is happening, all the violence that I could have never imagined would take place in my country," he said.

Many Iraqis say they oppose the U.S.-led occupation but also despise insurgents whose suicide attacks, mortar strikes and bomb blasts have killed far more Iraqis than Americans.

Issa al-Khalidi, a 65-year-old pensioner sitting in one of the oldest coffeehouses in Adhamiya, also condemned the killing but looked around nervously as he did.

"It's a brutal, inhuman act. As Muslims our religion prohibits us from committing such acts," he said.

"People with their own interpretations of Islam are coming to this country and killing left and right, and the Americans are just providing them with the pretext to do so."

But some of the city's poorer residents said they supported the killing, arguing it was acceptable retribution for the abuses the U.S. military had committed in Iraq.

"This is the price they have to pay for what they have done," said 33-year-old Omar Khateb, a labourer.

"It was done according to Islamic Sharia, and the Americans should know that there is a price they will pay for the atrocities they commit."

So, basically, you have the same situation as here, in this most Christian of nations. Mostly shock and outrage except for some uneducated, and lower class, yahoos who see the circle of violence as some sort of righteous retribution.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X