Sheik Yassin KIA!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheik Yassin KIA!!

The wheelchair-bound Hamas leader and a Palestinian "living saint" character Sheikh Yassin was eliminated in Israeli missile strike. This man was an enthusiastic advocate of killing "Jewry" without regard to circumstances, age or gender of the victims and he won't be missed by civilized world. Nevertheless, the violence that will follow this could prove to be memorable.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

OH MY GOD THEY KILLED SARUMAN!!!!

Sorry I couldn't resist.
    -----------------------------------
    Sings we a song of wolves.
    Who smells fear and slays the coward.
    Sings we a song of man.
    Who smells gold and slays his brother

Comment

Good ridance.
      "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

True, this guy won't be missed.

Comment

Yahoo! News quoting Hamas sources says the missiles hit Yassin and his bodyguards on the street as soon as they left a mosque. The victims were completely torn to shreds.

It sucks to aim a Hellfire at a wheelchair-bound victim, but I guess his destiny was to die as he lived: by explosions tearing unsuspecting and helpless people apart.

Comment

This will make things a lot worse in Isreal. But, the situation was bad anyway. I'm sure Isreal is ready for a terror tempest over the next few months.

This was an obvious message to Arafat -- This could easily be YOU buckaroo!

In the long run it is a good strong statement to terrorists that the countries willing to fight them are serious.
            "Nations are never content to confine their rivalships and enmities to themselves. It is their usual policy to disseminate them as widely, as they can, regardless how far it may interfere with the tranquility or happiness of the nations which they are able to influence." -- Alexander Hamilton

Comment

Arafat proved he couldn't control Hamas yonks ago - I don't think he has any need for concern...
              Now listening too;
              - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

Arafat proved he couldn't control Hamas yonks ago - I don't think he has any need for concern...
                I basically agree with your statement. But, there have been calls from the Israeli right to take out Arafat before and Israel has just proved that they aren't afraid to take down a big Palestinian target. I think Arafat will be a lot more afraid from now on.
                "Nations are never content to confine their rivalships and enmities to themselves. It is their usual policy to disseminate them as widely, as they can, regardless how far it may interfere with the tranquility or happiness of the nations which they are able to influence." -- Alexander Hamilton

Comment

While it goes without saying that the guy had forfited his right to live a long time ago, I've got a horrible feeling that killing him is a major mistake. When the various Palestinian groups vow to avenge those killed they do just that. The Israelis haven't been keeping him alive long all these years because they like they guy - he's been alowed to live as it was the lesser of two evils.

IMO, this is Sharron's strategy for getting himself out of his current personal and political mess - at one fell stroke no-one will be interested in his personal woes and he can drop his politically unpopular plan to withdraw from Gaza. The downside though is that an awful lot of people are going to die as a result.
                  Owner and operator, Armed Forces of the Asia Pacific
                  Forum administrator, www.orbat.com
                  Co-administrator, www.historic-battles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Case
                    While it goes without saying that the guy had forfited his right to live a long time ago, I've got a horrible feeling that killing him is a major mistake. When the various Palestinian groups vow to avenge those killed they do just that. The Israelis haven't been keeping him alive long all these years because they like they guy - he's been alowed to live as it was the lesser of two evils.

IMO, this is Sharron's strategy for getting himself out of his current personal and political mess - at one fell stroke no-one will be interested in his personal woes and he can drop his politically unpopular plan to withdraw from Gaza. The downside though is that an awful lot of people are going to die as a result.
                    I agree. I don't question whether or not the IDF decision was justified. However, I fear it was counter-productive. The US conducted a similar operation in Somalia, only to have it backfire. Commanders learned high-ranking members of Habr Gidr were meeting in an building. We dispatched Cobra's and killed the group with TOW missile launchers. The old men killed in that attack reportedly were meeting to discuss how to negotiate a resolution to the developing conflict with the US and UN. Habr Gidr replaced these moderates with hardliners. This led to additional attacks, which eventually caused the UN to abandon Somalia.

This attack will likely result in greater unrest, and further degrades the possibility for peace in that region for the immediate future.
                    "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

I don't agree with the Israeli position on the occupied territories, and think that every one of their "settlements" should be burnt to the ground, but I do think that they have a valid strategy with their strikes on terrorist leaders. It would indeed seem to be a model for others to follow. Effective intelligence gathering to determine who the leaders are and then accurate strikes to eliminate them (and any who may associate with them). I should imagine that if the Israeli's stand firm in this tactic, more and more Palestinian's will start to think of each of the terrorist leaders as having a "blast radius". It may not win their hearts but could have a definite effect on their minds.

p.s. This strategy will turn around and bite you if your intelligence is faulty or your strikes are not accurate. The last thing you need is to be explaining to the Chinese why you acidently blew their embassy to smithereens.

Comment

Counter-productive? Probably.

But isn't that the point? You have to remember where Likud and Sharon come from. An alarming number of their membership endorse transfer (euphemism for ethnic cleansing) and the party has explicitly said they would never allow a Palestinian state to form.

Israel has more to lose than to gain if they are forced to withdraw from the occupied territories. Losing a few people here and there could easily be seen as an acceptable price for a cold and calcuating mind.

Look at almost every action (ignore the rhetoric) that Sharon and Likud have taken... it's virtually all counter-productive from the point of view of peace with a few inconsequential bones tossed into the mix for those rare occasions when the American political establishment gets uppity and critisizes them.

Meanwhile, on the other side you have the militants. The militants are the real power in the occupied territories. They provide the social services and thus have the loyalty of the Palestinans. They like this arrangement. They have the power, not the PA. For the senior leadership, letting some dumb shits martyr themselves for their 72 virgins in exchange for control of Palestinian society? Sounds like an easy decision for a terrorist.

It's a match made in heaven.
                        "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

– Associate Justice Louis D. Brandeis, Olmstead vs. United States.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeJ
                          Counter-productive? Probably.

But isn't that the point? You have to remember where Likud and Sharon come from. An alarming number of their membership endorse transfer (euphemism for ethnic cleansing) and the party has explicitly said they would never allow a Palestinian state to form.

Israel has more to lose than to gain if they are forced to withdraw from the occupied territories. Losing a few people here and there could easily be seen as an acceptable price for a cold and calcuating mind.

Look at almost every action (ignore the rhetoric) that Sharon and Likud have taken... it's virtually all counter-productive from the point of view of peace with a few inconsequential bones tossed into the mix for those rare occasions when the American political establishment gets uppity and critisizes them.

Meanwhile, on the other side you have the militants. The militants are the real power in the occupied territories. They provide the social services and thus have the loyalty of the Palestinans. They like this arrangement. They have the power, not the PA. For the senior leadership, letting some dumb shits martyr themselves for their 72 virgins in exchange for control of Palestinian society? Sounds like an easy decision for a terrorist.

It's a match made in heaven.
                          Couldn't agree more Sharon will stop at nothing to keep the Palestinians in arms against Israel and Likud, If terrorism didnt exist in Israel niether would Likud.

You only have to look at how they have gone about their Palestinian problem since the Temple Mount incident to see what they are playing at.
                          Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Yassin was so old that if Israel waited a couple years he might have died of natural causes and the mess that will follow would have been avoided.

On the other hand, you guys have to realize IDF stops about 100 terror bombing and other terror attempts in Israel a month. I don't think they care about the Palestinian response because because they have no reason to care. Thanks to the Palestinian militant groups Israel has nothing to lose. Once in a while a bomber gets through and that's when get a city bus blow up and headlines around the world.

Comment

I suppose it just shows that you need more than a beard as disguise these days... The wheelchair didn't work either, or the KKK dress...
                              "You can't change the rules in the middle of the game."
                              "Hey, you just made that rule up."

Heil Dicke Bertha!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X