No announcement yet.

Has al Qaeda aquired a nuclear weapon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has al Qaeda aquired a nuclear weapon?

The news networks are suggesting that al Qaeda may have aquired one or more nuclear devices within the last several months. If al Qaeda has a weapon, would they use it? If so, where?

SYDNEY, Australia Usama bin Laden's (search) terror network claims to have bought ready-made nuclear weapons on the black market in central Asia, the biographer of Al Qaeda's No. 2 leader was quoted as telling an Australian television station.

In an interview scheduled to be televised on Monday, Pakistani journalist Hamid Mir said Ayman al-Zawahiri (search) claimed that "smart briefcase bombs" were available on the black market.

It was not clear when the interview between Mir and al-Zawahiri took place.
    U.S. intelligence agencies have long believed that Al Qaeda (search) attempted to acquire a nuclear device on the black market, but say there is no evidence it was successful.

In the interview with Australian Broadcasting Corp. television, parts of which were released Sunday, Mir recalled telling al-Zawahiri it was difficult to believe that Al Qaeda had nuclear weapons when the terror network didn't have the equipment to maintain or use them.

"Dr Ayman al-Zawahiri laughed and he said 'Mr. Mir, if you have $30 million, go to the black market in central Asia, contact any disgruntled Soviet scientist, and a lot of ... smart briefcase bombs are available,'" Mir said in the interview.
    "They have contacted us, we sent our people to Moscow, to Tashkent, to other central Asian states and they negotiated, and we purchased some suitcase bombs," Mir quoted al-Zawahiri as saying.

Al-Qaeda has never hidden its interest in acquiring nuclear weapons.
    The U.S. federal indictment of bin Laden charges that as far back as 1992 he "and others known and unknown, made efforts to obtain the components of nuclear weapons."

Bin Laden, in a November 2001 interview with a Pakistani journalist, boasted having hidden such components "as a deterrent." And in 1998, a Russian nuclear weapons design expert was investigated for allegedly working with bin Laden's Taliban allies.

It was revealed last month that Pakistan's top nuclear scientist had sold sensitive equipment and nuclear technology to Iran, Libya and North Korea, fueling fears the information could have also fallen into the hands of terrorists.

Earlier, Mir told Australian media that al-Zawahiri also claimed to have visited Australia to recruit militants and collect funds.

"In those days, in early 1996, he was on a mission to organize his network all over the world," Mir was quoted as saying. "He told me he stopped for a while in Darwin, he was ... looking for help and collecting funds."

Australia's Attorney-General Philip Ruddock said the government could not rule out the possibility that al-Zawahiri visited Australia in the 1990s under a different name.

"Under his own name or any known alias he hasn't traveled to Australia," Ruddock told reporters Saturday. "That doesn't mean to say that he may not have come under some other false documentation, or some other alias that's not known to us."

Mir describe al-Zawahiri as "the real brain behind Usama bin Laden."
    "He is the real strategist, Usama bin Laden is only a front man," Mir was quoted as saying during the interview. "I think he is more dangerous than bin Laden."

Al-Zawahiri an Egyptian surgeon is believed to be hiding in the rugged region around the Pakistan-Afghan border where U.S. and Pakistani troops are conducting a major operation against Taliban and Al Qaeda forces.
    He is said to have played a leading role in orchestrating the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States.
    Editor-in-Chief
    GameSquad.com

The original 9/11 plan involved flying planes into nuclear power plants but it was rejected by the militants for fear that "it might get out of contol". Personally I don't believe a nuclear attack is an objective of theirs and I don't believe they have the balls to pull a nuclear trigger. Only when something goes off these kinds of questions can be really answered so I'm looking forward to remaining unsure.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

i don't think they have it yet.

i think they would sendt out masses of propaganda, + i dont see how you can smuggle a nuke to your enemy, just my 2 cents
      French Soldier: You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.

Comment

During the Afghanistan war Al-Quaida claimed to posess a nuke as a deterrent that was supposed to be used if the US deployed WMDs first. That was a very lame statement.

Shortly after that statement Bin Laden and his army ran for Pakistan losing and leaving behind just about everything other than the underwear on their arses.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
        --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

i guess they can't set up permanent bases like they did in afganistan nowadays so their R&D will be pretty much halted. and hopefully we killed off a fair bunch of their brainy guys when they ran from afganistan.
          French Soldier: You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.

Comment

I would say nothing small enough to be easily used. But I don't know enough about this stuff to be sure of anything anymore.
            "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

My guess is they have not got them but perhaps they might be able to pull off an attack on a Nuclear reactor somewhere that would realease enough of a radioactive plume to cause a major World Crises.
              http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Nope, I dont think so, but they could have laid their hands on chemical agents or even biological weapons. Hey, even I know, how to produce chemical agents, ok, at least Im a chemical engineer, soon.
                Maj. Reismann: "Kill every officer in sight!"
                soldier: "Ours or theirs?"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                  Berlin.1945
                  by casanova
                  The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                  Yesterday, 23:41
                • casanova
                  AW 169M
                  by casanova
                  The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                  Yesterday, 23:26
                • JBark
                  What changed?
                  by JBark
                  There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                  Yesterday, 18:54
                Working...
                X