X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia's 9/11

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=4166895

A national tragedy, to be sure...

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia has sent in the army to bolster a week-long struggle to rescue 10 tons of beer trapped under Siberian ice, Itar-Tass news agency said Tuesday. A lorry carrying the beer sank when trying to cross the frozen Irtysh river, and a rescue team of six divers, 10 workers and a modified T-72 tank from the emergencies ministry have so far failed to save the load.

"The situation hasn't developed according to our ideal scenario," the deputy head of the Cherlaksky region, told the agency. Temperatures were around minus 27 degrees Celsius (minus 17 degrees Fahrenheit) in the region, near the Siberian city of Omsk and around 1,400 miles from Moscow.

A week-long effort to cut a 100 yard corridor to the river bank to pull the truck to dry land failed when the vehicle was swept away from the rescue site, Tass said.

But it said the soldiers were confident it would take them just a day to retrieve the beer.
    "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

– Associate Justice Louis D. Brandeis, Olmstead vs. United States.

LoL...get Mantis there, and he'd have it out within the hour. Come to think of it, he might just leave it in there, and save on using his refrigerator...
    I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Hmmn...going to have to find a way to get this into the OSS...
      I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Originally posted by JAMiAM
        Hmmn...going to have to find a way to get this into the OSS...
        Something about Mantis swimming to Russia when he learned of the tragedy?

Comment

Originally posted by Priest
          Something about Mantis swimming to Russia when he learned of the tragedy?
          a brain cell

Comment

In Canada those kind of industrial accidents happen all the time. In fact, I believe they even have specialized equipment that pulls downed beer trucks out of frozen rivers. If only the Russians would ask them...they could tell them how to build one.

"sorry, we can't send one over right now...they are all committed to retrieving beer trucks under the ice this winter"

Shane! Back me up here!

Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Oh no, you have it all wrong! All beer trucks in Canada are equipped with
              floatation devices for such an emergency
              Black & blue from the TOAW learning curve!

Comment

Originally posted by Foggy
                Oh no, you have it all wrong! All beer trucks in Canada are equipped with
                floatation devices for such an emergency
                LoL...yeah, empties strung together with dental floss, and plugged with chewing gum.

Comment

You guys are looking at it the hard way. We just have special equipment for tapping submerged kegs (this kind of thing happens all the time!) You have to drink it fast before it starts to freeze, but a half frozen keg is a beautiful thing, especially if there are alot of girls at the party...

"When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X