Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if the Islamists took the power in Saudi Arabia ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if the Islamists took the power in Saudi Arabia ?

An assumption : if there was a civil war in Saudi Arabia, and if a bunch of Islamists took the power, what would the world do ?
    In my opinion the world, at least the West, the weasels and the cow boys, should invade and “liberate” the country, as the oilfields are too important to let them in the Islamist hands. But there is Mecca in Saudi Arabia and that could give some problem, as the Muslim world wouldn’t like to see the Westerners making an other crusade.
    In your opinion if such thing happened, what should we do, and what would be the different reactions in the world ?

LaPalice.
    Monsieur de La Palice est mort
    Mort devant Pavie.
    Un quart d'heure avant sa mort
    Il était encore en vie...

Some may say that Islamis fundamentalists already have taken power, not official power but they already have won the hearts and minds of the people and the Saudi Royal family is running scared. That's why they asked the US to leave so that they don't appear too pro-west.

Comment

I think the distinction between the Islamists and the Saud sheikdom is not worth worrying about. For example, we have already confronted OPEC as a kind of Islamic leverage against the West and it was a flop. The bottom line is that no matter who in the Middle East controls the oil fields, if they don't sell to the US, then they go broke and their economy collapses. Can the Middle East support itself without US dollars? Probably not. Not even if the wealthy sheiks were stripped and it was all distributed by the Islamists.

If the West were to seize those oil fields and their countries there is no way that they could distribute that oil. Think of the problems that oil distribution is having in Iraq.
      Get the US out of NATO, now!

Comment

Originally posted by Priest
        Some may say that Islamis fundamentalists already have taken power, not official power but they already have won the hearts and minds of the people and the Saudi Royal family is running scared. That's why they asked the US to leave so that they don't appear too pro-west.
        Alot of good that's done them.

This is a very good question LaPalice.

It has been the longstanding policy of the west that it will take whatever action is necessary to ensure the flow of oil. I don't believe this will change anytime soon. In fact, with dependence on OPEC oil expected to increase over the next 30 years, the policy will be even more important.

Alot depends on how the fundamentalists interfere with oil flow. If they leave it be, and try not to use it as an instrument to effect foriegn policy, the international community will have little choice, but to sit and wait. However, if the Islamic fundamentalists do use their oil resources to demand political changes globally, the world would see it as a grave threat, and will force regime change.

The latter seems unlikely. Without oil exports, Saudi Arabia would be in serious economic and political trouble, no matter who is in power. Nations will turn to neighbors to buy their oil, weakening SA's position considerably. They would either need to reform their policies, invade a neighbor, or face serious consequences. Should the fundamentalists invade a neighbor, or even use their power to influence regime change, the west will respond, likely with considerable support from Arab governments, who generally fear Islamic fundamentalism in more ways than one.

A more appropriate option for the fundamentalists would be to employ somekind of tax against those nations, which it does not support, such as the United States. This could make international intervention more complicated, since not everyone is effected. People will simply conclude the US is getting what it deserves. Yet, it would still illustrate a willingness to use oil to project their political goals, which could threaten the world.

In all likelihood, the west would end up invading Saudi Arabia. The success of such an operation would demand strong international support. The US could not act alone as we did in Iraq. More importantly, we'll need considerable support from Arab countries. Arab troops would mitigate local concerns of American or western imperalism. Arab forces would likely be given the objective of seizing Mecca and other Islamic installations and locations.
        "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

The presence of Islamists in Saudi Arabia is so widespread that the form of government is almost irrelevant. Islamism is a grassroots movement straight out of the living room and dining room of the average home in that part of the world.

Whether the government is fascist or Islamist or democratic, would you ever walk the streets of a Muslim country such as Saudi Arabia unless you're dressed in Yasser Arafat checkered scarf and dark sunglasses?

Personally I'd wrap myself in that scarf and even bring a camel to walk around on a leash (for extra convincing disguise).

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
          --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

It's true that SA is a hardline Islamist State, but the Royal Family is by and large made up of people who are by no means good Moslems. They just break the rules behind closed doors or go abroad to visit prostitutes, Drink etc. They spend money like crazy on a really decadent lifestyle.
            The people of SA know this and that is why they are hated. That and the way they are subverviant to the Western powers, esp. the US.
            If they are overthrown its anyones guess who would emerge. There are quite a number of dufferent types of regime that could emerge, anywhere between a Nasser and a Mullah Omar. But one thing is sure they will be anti western. Whether their stance will be pure rhetoric or not we don't know. If they wish to take on the West through economic warfare, terorism, diplomatic offensives etc. then the US and Britain + others would no doubt seize the Oil Fields.
            http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Problem is, when SA will be invaded by western armies, the muslim world will explode.. not just like the few hardliners spoiling our fun now.
              French Soldier: You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.

Comment

Originally posted by screamer
                Problem is, when SA will be invaded by western armies, the muslim world will explode.. not just like the few hardliners spoiling our fun now.

Well they didn't explode when Western Armies invaded Iraq so why would they do so for SA? OK Mecca and Medina are a different kettle of fish but the Oil fields are off to the east by many hundreds of miles. That's where the US and others would send in their troops.
                http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

american wherent based anywhere near mecca or medina, and still bin laden and co got pissed, Its just because its SA... the holy land. Its About the same thing to them as if a palestinian pisses on dan's beloved holy relic.........
                  Last edited by screamer; 25 Jan 04, 17:34.
                  French Soldier: You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.

Comment

If it happened today, I think the US would be permanently based in Iraq and just take the oil in that country so that we are not hamstrung by any Saudi decision to stop supplying oil to us. We would then probably start side-drilling to steal the oil from under SA thus giving them what they deserve for crossing us!

In short, there is NOTHING that would prevent the United States from getting oil from somewhere in the Middle East. Haliburton would probably get some big contracts to handle the side drilling...
                    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

btw is it just one HUGE oilfield under SA IRAQ?? that means you can drill it out sneaky, and bomb their wells, no merican on SA soil

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT
                        If it happened today, I think the US would be permanently based in Iraq and just take the oil in that country so that we are not hamstrung by any Saudi decision to stop supplying oil to us. We would then probably start side-drilling to steal the oil from under SA thus giving them what they deserve for crossing us!

In short, there is NOTHING that would prevent the United States from getting oil from somewhere in the Middle East. Haliburton would probably get some big contracts to handle the side drilling...
                        The only reason anyone gives a **** about the Middle East is because of oil. Let's not deny reality here.
                        "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

– Associate Justice Louis D. Brandeis, Olmstead vs. United States.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeJ
                          The only reason anyone gives a **** about the Middle East is because of oil. Let's not deny reality here.
                          Well, to be truthful, I am more impressed by the Iraqi and Iranian women that I have known here in the States. They're hot!
                          I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

I don't know any Iraqi women, but I know a lot of Iranian women.

Wow!
                            "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

– Associate Justice Louis D. Brandeis, Olmstead vs. United States.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeJ
                              Don't forget Israel.
                              ...a man that can stand up for a principle and sit down on his own stool.
                              -the Firesign Theatre

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X