Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take Out Al Jazeera

From Foxnews:

More to the point, the Governing Council had ample grounds for denouncing Al Jazeera and Al Arabiya. Both have been steady purveyors of enemy propaganda since well before Sept. 11. In its aftermath, they have routinely transmitted calls-to-arms via tapes purporting to feature the likes of Usama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein, under the pretext that doing so is not a nakedly hostile act of incitement against the West, in general, and the United States, in particular. Instead, ironically, they justify such actions by the almost-exclusively Western tradition of free expression, claiming to be merely covering the "news."

During a just-concluded trip to Iraq -- including visits with senior commanders, Iraqi officials and others in Baghdad, Tikrit and Mosul -- I learned firsthand of the further reasons for the Governing Council's action. It turns out that the two Arab networks have made a fetish of broadcasting murderous attacks on Americans and their Iraqi and coalition allies, often accompanied by commentary or "news analysis" that makes no effort to conceal that the speakers' sympathies lie with the perpetrators.

Al Jazeera has also been observed arriving at the scene of a roadside bombing or other attack before it occurs. While the network has claimed that this was because it had been misinformed that the attack had already taken place and innocently wound up getting to the scene first, this strains credulity. At the very least, the attackers are waiting for the sympathetic Arab TV to show up before causing their carnage, knowing that it will feature prominently on subsequent broadcasts and be picked up by other networks around the world.

It seems unlikely to be any coincidence, either, that crowds are often on hand as well. Increasingly, some on hand for the attacks erupt -- as if on command -- when the cameras are on, offering fervid denunciations of the United States, President Bush, so-called Iraqi collaborators in the occupation of an Arab country and similar, highly charged visuals.
    Al Jeezera is walking on thin ice. They're making a lot of enemies on both sides of the fence and that usually is a death sentence in the Middle East.

More to the point, elected Iraqi officials and U.S. commanders advised our delegation of retired senior military officers and civilian defense experts that there is evidence that Al Jazeera is actually paying for such attacks. If confirmed, this would make the network and its associates enemy combatants and subject to appropriate responses.

For too long, the U.S. government has ignored less materially harmful forms of Arab media collaboration with our foes. (A similar charge of incitement could -- and should -- be leveled practically daily at the state-owned media of Muslim nations, including those of putatively friendly states like Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Pakistan.)
    Why doesn't the UN have a vote on this?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,98621,00.html
    Editor-in-Chief
    GameSquad.com

Hello,

Somehow this doesn't surprise me. I recall when Al Jazeera showed the tapes of a dead US soldier on gurney with a Iraqi soldier grinning. That dead soldier was apparently executed summarily. I never forgot that cruelty displayed by Al Jazeera, and it pales in comparsion of the US cameramen catching the faces of Iraqi POWs marching by.

I don't really trust Al Jazeera to be objective in its reporting of various US activities, whether it be military or civilian projects. At times, I think Quatar (where Al Jazeera is based) has its own political agendas, and it's right to claim Al Jazeera is making many enemies on both sides of fence, somehow, this doesn't strike me a smart decision anyway. It's rare to see an Arab making a smart decision.

In any case, if the US want to take out Al Jazeera, then I'll support that one, as I feel it is my duty as an American to support the US soldiers.

But the best way is to fight back with fire, so to speak. I think the US should establish some kind of media agency, full with native Iraqis but with good training in the objective reporting, so they can report on the reality of negatives and positives of the US occupation of Iraq. It should be funded out of Iraqis' pockets, rather than with the US money, otherwise, it would be nothing but an arm of US propaganda.

It would be prudent to get some of the US best reporters and journalists that are well respected by both liberals and conservatives such as Bob Woodward and David Halbestram to teach Iraqis on how to do objective reporting.

We could chose to attack Al Jazeera with military responses, but I don't think this would bode very well with Iraqis already deeply suspicious of our motivations and difficulties the occupying forces are facing right now.

Dan
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772
      Hello,

Somehow this doesn't surprise me. I recall when Al Jazeera showed the tapes of a dead US soldier on gurney with a Iraqi soldier grinning. That dead soldier was apparently executed summarily. I never forgot that cruelty displayed by Al Jazeera, and it pales in comparsion of the US cameramen catching the faces of Iraqi POWs marching by.
      US news agencies showed photos fo the Dead Hussein brothers, should we burn down CNN headquaters? (Not a bad idea really....)

I don't really trust Al Jazeera to be objective in its reporting of various US activities, whether it be military or civilian projects. At times, I think Quatar (where Al Jazeera is based) has its own political agendas, and it's right to claim Al Jazeera is making many enemies on both sides of fence, somehow, this doesn't strike me a smart decision anyway. It's rare to see an Arab making a smart decision.
      All Arabs are stupid and can't make decision for themselves? Ja Dan Ja.....

In any case, if the US want to take out Al Jazeera, then I'll support that one, as I feel it is my duty as an American to support the US soldiers.
      The ONLY way I would support action against Al Jazeera is if it is proven that they paid for or planed the attacks. If it is found they were given advance notice and did not inform the Coalition then they simply just need to be kicked out of the country.

But the best way is to fight back with fire, so to speak. I think the US should establish some kind of media agency, full with native Iraqis but with good training in the objective reporting, so they can report on the reality of negatives and positives of the US occupation of Iraq. It should be funded out of Iraqis' pockets, rather than with the US money, otherwise, it would be nothing but an arm of US propaganda.
      Um, No matter how its funded it would look like the new propaganda ministry.

We could chose to attack Al Jazeera with military responses, but I don't think this would bode very well with Iraqis already deeply suspicious of our motivations and difficulties the occupying forces are facing right now.
      Without solid proof of wrongdoing Iraqis would be right to be suspicious of us if we attack Al Jazeera...

_Tim
      "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

Originally posted by Don Maddox
        Why doesn't the UN have a vote on this?
        Lol, so this is Fox News vs Al Jazeera then?

Fox News accusing Al Jazeera of propaganda is just too funny, more more

As for a vote of the UN, I cant see why, since the UN didnt have a chance to vote for the War in Iraq in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McBride
          US news agencies showed photos fo the Dead Hussein brothers, should we burn down CNN headquaters? (Not a bad idea really....)
          We didn't photograph Hussein brothers in order to exploit their death for the sake of propaganda's value. We did it because many Iraqis were suspicious that it was just a clever play, and that the bodies weren't really Hussein brothers at all. We had to do it to show that Hussein brothers were indeed real and dead.

There is a difference in exploiting one's misery and showing it as a proof of their demise. A techniciality, perhaps, yes, but a big difference nonetheless...

All Arabs are stupid and can't make decision for themselves? Ja Dan Ja.....
          Why not? Middle East controls a large percentage of world's oil resources, and yet, not a single Arab country could defeat Israel and force the rest world of world to bow before the Arabs.

The ONLY way I would support action against Al Jazeera is if it is proven that they paid for or planed the attacks. If it is found they were given advance notice and did not inform the Coalition then they simply just need to be kicked out of the country.
          The problem is that Al Jazeera is intentionally hindering Coalition's reconstruction projects, and painting the US troops as not better than Saddam's regime. I don't have a problem with their negative reporting, but the way they portray tends to go out of line.

Anyway, I'm getting real tired of hearing the demands for evidence, oh my, the foreign policy isn't to be used as a court of law! It's supposed to be about the nation's interests, not whether it is right or wrong. In my mind, the "demand" for evidence is nothing more than a smokescreen for some people searching for faults in the role of nation conducting its foreign policy intiatives.

If the US feels Al Jazeera is threatening the entire US reconstruction projects, whether the threat is real or imaginary, then as far I am concerned, Al Jazeera should be kicked out of Iraq or blown apart.

The realm of foreign policy is not meant to be court of law, and we need to stop this silly claim anyway.

Um, No matter how its funded it would look like the new propaganda ministry.

Without solid proof of wrongdoing Iraqis would be right to be suspicious of us if we attack Al Jazeera...
          Does it really matters? Kicking Al Jazeera out would only deepen Iraqis' suspicious as well. Any choice we make will always be considered nothing, but an arm of US "propaganda machinary."

In all, I don't think the Iraqis will get rid of their suspicions over the US motivations and conduct of its foreign policy in Iraq.

Dan
          Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Those dirty, rotten Arabs...now they are embedding their journalists?

What's so damned funny is that this is a prime case of the pot (Fox News) calling the kettle (Al Jazeera) black. Are we complaining because they stole this out of our playbook? Sounds fair and balanced to me...
            I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Why not? Middle East controls a large percentage of world's oil resources, and yet, not a single Arab country could defeat Israel and force the rest world of world to bow before the Arabs.
              Well glad to see you are not hiding you racist feelings towards all Arabs.

The problem is that Al Jazeera is intentionally hindering Coalition's reconstruction projects, and painting the US troops as not better than Saddam's regime. I don't have a problem with their negative reporting, but the way they portray tends to go out of line.

Anyway, I'm getting real tired of hearing the demands for evidence, oh my, the foreign policy isn't to be used as a court of law! It's supposed to be about the nation's interests, not whether it is right or wrong. In my mind, the "demand" for evidence is nothing more than a smokescreen for some people searching for faults in the role of nation conducting its foreign policy intiatives.

If the US feels Al Jazeera is threatening the entire US reconstruction projects, whether the threat is real or imaginary, then as far I am concerned, Al Jazeera should be kicked out of Iraq or blown apart.

The realm of foreign policy is not meant to be court of law, and we need to stop this silly claim anyway.
              You're right, we should just do whatever is in our best intrests, we should ignore the rights of other people, no proof is needed, All Hail the USA........

Comment

Originally posted by JAMiAM
                Those dirty, rotten Arabs...now they are embedding their journalists?

What's so damned funny is that this is a prime case of the pot (Fox News) calling the kettle (Al Jazeera) black. Are we complaining because they stole this out of our playbook? Sounds fair and balanced to me...
                <saracasm>
                What? Gee Golly Batman but those dirty Arabs shouldn't be able to practice free speech. Only US citizens have rights....</saracasam>

If there is proof that Al Jazeera stepped over the line, please be my guest, kick em out of the country or treat them like enemy combatants; I have no issue then.

I know I am crazy though wanting proof before we act and put people at risk.

Comment

Well glad to see you are not hiding you racist feelings towards all Arabs.
                  So now am I a racist?

I don't think Arabs are making smart decisions, but that does not mean I do have racist feelings.

Granted, I do have narrow-minded view of this world, and certainly in black and white with America's national interests in my mind. Granted, this makes me a hard-headed man with strong convictions of how I feel America should conduct its foreign and domestic policies, however, does that make me a racist?

With all due respect, I respect your posts, I'd like to think you do respect my posts.

I am not asking Arabs to blindly support the US, however, I am asking them to think twice before going through whatever schemes they have in their minds. They're frequently throwing away good opportunities to show that they are serious about peace even in midst of US presence.

Each day, their terrorist attacks proved to be fruitless and just counterproductive. This isn't going to be another Vietnam, simply because the circumstances are dramatically different what we saw in Vietnam. We're not on verge of a general civil war in Iraq.

Syria is making a lot of mistakes, they were wrong to support the terrorist attacks on Israel, and allowing foreigners to enter Iraq for resistance movements against the US forces. Moreover, Syria has been tied to several spies at Gitmo.

Arabs are destroying whatever support they have in the US, even if it's only slim, each day, people like me and others are increasingly disillusioned about how Arabs view this world and the USA's presence in Middle East.

Tim, just how badly do you want the US to succeeded in Iraqi occupation? Don't you think it's our interest to make sure American troops are treated well and our image not tainted by daily terrorist attacks.

JAMiAM: At least we don't embed our reporters during Iraqi occupation to watch our soldiers shooting up Iraqis and people in America celebrating a terrorist's death out on streets.

Moreover, you seem to think these terrorists are freedom fighters or whatever it is you call them? Am I correct in this assumption?

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Well then, Canada should invade the USA, because we think they posses WMDs and intend to use them in an all out invasion of Canada. Don't bother asking for any evidence, because we would simply assume that it is a 'smokescreen' to 'search for faults' in our foreign policy. We must defend our national interests! All will bow before us! Seig Heil!

Sarcasm aside, what nation would create a foreign or domectic policy on a foundation that lacks any support, evidence, and credibility? If you want to cut taxes, you think of the pros and cons, build a case for it, and present it to the executive process. If you invade a foreign nation, you better well have a bloody good reason. Ignoring and sweeping aside any opposition, simply means you're insecure and unsure about your own policies.
                    Last edited by Martin Schenkel; 06 Oct 03, 13:35.

Comment

<saracasm>
                      What? Gee Golly Batman but those dirty Arabs shouldn't be able to practice free speech. Only US citizens have rights....</saracasam>

If there is proof that Al Jazeera stepped over the line, please be my guest, kick em out of the country or treat them like enemy combatants; I have no issue then.

I know I am crazy though wanting proof before we act and put people at risk.
                      I cannot resist, sorry:
                      I spoke to my intelligence advisor who said we have evidence that Al Jazeera has WMD against Fox News, and can launch within 45 minutes.

Cheetah772:
                      You see USA interest through the view of CNN, and the president. Are you sure these views are the USA's real interest?
                      a brain cell

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Schenkel
                        Well then, Canada should invade the USA, because we think they posses WMDs and intend to use them in an all out invasion of Canada. Don't bother asking for any evidence, because we would simply assume that it is a 'smokescreen' to 'search for faults' in our foreign policy. We must defend our national interests! All will bow before us! Seig Heil!
                        Sure....and America would launch her nuclear weapons at Canada and the rest of world. What's your point?

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

I agree, right or wrong, that's for commies! It's either win or go home and there are no trophies for second place.
                          "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

How about we burn down both Al Jazeera AND Fox News? I could go for that.
                            "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

– Associate Justice Louis D. Brandeis, Olmstead vs. United States.

Comment

So now am I a racist?

I don't think Arabs are making smart decisions, but that does not mean I do have racist feelings.
                              No I don't think you are racist, just making you realize that you post that "all arabs are stupid" was a bit narrow minded.
                              With all due respect, I respect your posts, I'd like to think you do respect my posts.
                              Of course I do, I am just a bit harsh sometimes that is all.

Tim, just how badly do you want the US to succeeded in Iraqi occupation? Don't you think it's our interest to make sure American troops are treated well and our image not tainted by daily terrorist attacks.
                              Now that we are there? 110% I want us to succeed, but I want to do it in a way that will not be causing problems down the road and in a way that stills respects the natural rights of the people there.

_Tim

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X